NHL 2021 - Another Season Same Thread

Nictarion

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting. I would have guessed skiing would have been on the list. Always find it fascinating to learn what sports are popular in countries outside of the U.S.

We are talking about the professional level tho.

Those Wintersports guys are "professional amateurs". They couldn't make a living on their sports alone (same with the track and field types). The jobs they have are usually primarily Army/Police Force/Customs. There they either get some time off during their active career, or are assigned to sporting companies. Which is the German equivalent to the US college athletes. Other than that you see college students (likesay Malaika Mihambo, altho their college degrees are very real  - Mihambo studied political science I think, and is now studying for a master in enviromental studies or something) and are some sport scholarships. That covers the vast majority of the athletes. And there are only that many tv jobs for them in their post career, and the season is not their season is not that long. E.g. Kati Wilhelm was in the army during her active career and reached the rank of Sgt. or something (I am not American, I don't get a hard on for the military, so the rank might not be fully accurate), and now she is working as an expert for the biathlon events and otherwise runs a hotel in her hometown. The wintersport folks (other than the hockey players obviously) can also basically be found in two locations. It's either Bavaria or Thuringia.

I just saw the mayor of Tampa tell the team to ease up and let Montreal win a game so that Tampa can win at home.

Stupid arrogant bitch. And yes, if the mayor was a man I’d say bastard. “Go ahead and lose on purpose”. Asshole.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

This is horrible. I will never understand why people fuck with dangerous ass fireworks…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/jackets/2021/07/05/matiss-kivlenieks-blue-jackets-goalie-dies-tragic-accident/7864545002/

I just heard about this. Poor guy, my deepest sympathies to his family.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, Nictarion said:

Some pretty big names left exposed for Seattle.

Carey Price, PK Subban, Gabriel Landeskog, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mark Giordano…

Not too shabby. Almost unfair how they'll be compared to the success that Vegas has had. 

Archived