Round of 16: : LET THE (Knockout) GAMES BEGIN!

3 minutes ago, john said:

Yeah he was useless up until that bit of brilliance. Just needed to move inside.

mind you, I’ve hardly even heard Pavons name so far.

Pavon's been fine. He's doing what he's there to do, which is stretch the French defence.

5 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Pavon's been fine. He's doing what he's there to do, which is stretch the French defence.

Hmm ok. Doesn’t seem much use when there’s no goal threat. One shot on target that half and there’s not exactly going to be 25 yard screamers set up very often.

France look like the better team but threw away the impetus when they went ahead.  Now we'll see they can bounce back from that blow.  Argentina have shown resilience but haven't created much except for that wonder goal.

1 minute ago, john said:

Hmm ok. Doesn’t seem much use when there’s no goal threat. One shot on target that half and there’s not exactly going to be 25 yard screamers set up very often.

Well, the issue is that there's two wingers and a false nine, so there's nobody in the box to cross to.

I'd take Perez off and put on a proper striker, myself.

This France line-up is a joke. Good luck at playing the counter with only Mbappé doing the runs. Matuidi as left winger...

This Argentina team doesn't look better on a tactical POV, though. Messi plays both roles of "striker" and playmaker, which makes Albiceleste's attacks predictable. Great one from Di Maria though. Despite being french, I've had more joy watching Di Maria's strike than Griezmann's penalty (not to mention it's debatable in the first place…)

Not sure that I’d agree that Argentina were ever in control. All they did at their best was put some crosses into nobody. Giving Argentina lots of the ball is in the French gameplan - drag the slow defence and midfield forward to create room for Mbappe in behind.

Archived