Round of 16: : LET THE (Knockout) GAMES BEGIN!

Ah, so sad. But... it felt inevitable from the first game. I'm glad Argentina got it together enough to put up a good showing, but the fact is, there just isn't the quality in the team to go all the way. Much as they tried, players like Perez and Meza just aren't on the same level as Messi: and Mascherano, while once he was, isn't any more.

But Argentina can go out with their heads held high.

As for Otamendi, calm down, guys. Tonight is, without doubt, the unofficial world championship of shithousery, Uruguay vs Portugal, led respectively by Suarez and Pepe. Otamendi is but a dabbler. Those two can rightly claim to be pioneers.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I thought France was a little too casual and overconfident. Great on the attack, pretty good in the middle, but shaky in the defense.

Argentina had grit, but they sucked on the defense, and I've no idea whose idea it was not to start with Aguerro or Higuain, but whoever decided that is a total idiot.

That person has a name XD Sampaoli couldn't get the juice out of the argentinian players, and couldn't come up with a strategy that worked with what they had. I wonder if he will quit. 

6 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Welp, Argentina wasn't gonna get that far anyway.

True, a miracle they passed the group phase. But I think they played better against France than the matches against Iceland and Croatia.

I hope Uruguay-Portugal to be as interesting match as this was. 

Hmm.  If ever a game looked less likely to have 7 goals, it is Uruguay v Portugal. :)

But congrats to France.  I thought they were going to blow it there for a minute.  It will be interesting to see if another generation of Argentinians can come through now.  They have way too many 30 somethings in that current squad.  France always had more options today but Argentina were their ideal opponents, as they allowed them a lot more room.  Whoever wins the later match, will give them a very different test.

Probably Uruguay though.

Edited to add. Higuain didn't look good when he played but Aguero's absence was weird.

8 minutes ago, Lady B. said:

I hope Uruguay-Portugal to be as interesting match as this was. 

'Interesting' is probably the word. I'm waiting to see Pepe mark Suarez at a corner.

That was a great game; it's too bad one of these teams had to leave so soon -- the game was deserving of being at least a semi-final. I thought the French substitutions at the end were overconfident: Argentina looked like they could tie it if they had another few minutes (they almost tied it on the very last attack).

6 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That was a great game; it's too bad one of these teams had to leave so soon -- the game was deserving of being at least a semi-final.

Yup, a pity that Argentina have to leave while Sweden is likely to make it to the quarter (semi?) finals.

Albeit Sampaoli had his tactics entirely wrong. Dybala didn't even have a minute of football on Argentina's last two games ffs.

I hope Argentina's federation appoint someone who manages to play all these talents together, rather than resting on a Messi hat-trick and surrounding him with defensive-minded players.

21 minutes ago, Warm-hands said:

Yup, a pity that Argentina have to leave while Sweden is likely to make it to the quarter (semi?) finals. 

Why? They might have shown up at last for this game, to some extent, but Argentina are a shit team that were lucky to qualify and lucky to make it out of the group and quite frankly right now aren't any better than Sweden.

22 minutes ago, Warm-hands said:

I hope Argentina's federation appoint someone who manages to play all these talents together, rather than resting on a Messi hat-trick and surrounding him with defensive-minded players.

Today's decision was insane but in reality a big part of Argentina's whole problem is that all their good players are forwards. It's not really credible to play more than two of Messi, Higuain, Aguero and Dybala together. And even when you do pair them, the three that aren't Higuain have enough similarities to each other that it still causes issues.

4 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

He has acted a dick at this world cup but that's surely going too far. Nobody is on Pepe's level!

Ramos is pretty definitely a bigger wanker than Pepe. Not sure Otamendi is quite that level though.

Suarez is though. Pepe vs Suarez today. Fun fun fun!

1 hour ago, Lady B. said:

That person has a name XD Sampaoli couldn't get the juice out of the argentinian players, and couldn't come up with a strategy that worked with what they had. I wonder if he will quit. 

I know Sampaoli is the coach, but the commentators couldn't stop talking about rumors of who was really making decisions in the squad.

2 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

As for Otamendi, calm down, guys. Tonight is, without doubt, the unofficial world championship of shithousery, Uruguay vs Portugal, led respectively by Suarez and Pepe. Otamendi is but a dabbler. Those two can rightly claim to be pioneers.

100 percent truth

Archived