Round of 16: : LET THE (Knockout) GAMES BEGIN!

Russia must share a portion of the game. For 85 minutes, they applied zero defensive pressure outside their own back third. In the last 5 minutes they applied a bit of pressure, won the ball and created their only opportunity of the half. 

8 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

Er, that’s a penalty isn’t it?

Absolutely. Anywhere else on the pitch, that's a yellow card. Refs have to stomp this shit out. It favors poor defending over goals, and guess which is more fun for the average/neutral viewer?

Well that was tedious.

Spain got screwed a little bit with the non penalty on the VAR review but really they didn’t do a lot to deserve a win. Russia were playing for penalties from the start so it worked out for them I suppose.

Just now, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

Well that was tedious.

Spain got screwed a little bit with the non penalty on the VAR review but really they didn’t do a lot to deserve a win. Russia were playing for penalties from the start so it worked out for them I suppose.

Yeah Spain were toothless. Didn’t get Diego involved enough at all. 

Wow. Another contender for the gold goes home early.

I actually think it was quite well deserved. The Russians did what they could and if Spain had dared to play more directly, more aggressively, they would have won this game. But the last hour was so painfully slow to watch that I eventually started rooting for the Russians. 

4 minutes ago, Disturber of Peace said:

We did get that fun and rewarding part in the end.

Now, look at all the teams on that side of the bracket. One of them will be in the final. Let that sink in.

Croatia look best placed for that now.

Archived