Round of 16: : LET THE (Knockout) GAMES BEGIN!

Spain were rubbish in this tournament. The only decent game they played was against Portugal. They were fortunate against both Iran and Morocco. Possession for the sake of possession with no penetration - gave me flashbacks of LVG's United (dull, dull, dull). 

I'm sure the Spanish media will have lots of fun scapegoating De Gea (and perhaps D. Silva as well) since they are not based in Spain while the Catalan and Madrid based media will do their best to deflect the poor performances of Pique, Ramos, Isco, Koke. And of course the sheer idiocy of Rubiales in sacking the coach the day before the WC. 

:agree: I used to love watching Spain/Barcelona play when tiki-taka became a thing, because the coiling tension usually manifested itself in some form of attempt at goal. 

The last time the final was played between two teams were neither had previously played a final was in 1934. This year’s remaining contenders for that honour are Mexico, Belgium, Japan, Russia, Croatia, Denmark,  Switzerland and Colombia, neither of whom have reached the final before. Sweden has one silver and France,  England, Uruguay and Brazil all have at least one gold.

Is this the championship of the underdogs? So far I think the answer is yes, and given that three of the previous gold medalists are on the same half, there will be more favourite bloodshed before the semi finals. 

16 minutes ago, locura said:

:agree: I used to love watching Spain/Barcelona play when tiki-taka became a thing, because the coiling tension usually manifested itself in some form of attempt at goal. 

Tiki-taka died once the great midfield trio of Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta started to decline. Barca's tiki-taka was always better than Spain's tiki-taka because of Messi who scores a ridiculous amount of goals.

Very reminiscent of Croatia’s Euro 2016. The best side in the group stages, end up in the favourable portion of the draw and suddenly favourites to make the final. Then they freeze in the last 16. They were the better side in that game two years ago vs Portugal, but today they could have no complaints if they go out.

Archived