AncalagonTheBlack

Round of 16: : LET THE (Knockout) GAMES BEGIN!

Priceless. 

ETA. Matuidi misses the next match which might be a blessing in disguise. 

Edited by Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi

And Messi remains the king without the crown.

Nice to see onee of the remaining favorites coming out to play, and France showing why they were one of the big four pre-tournament picks.

Oh and just like that Argentina cut the deficit to one goal, but probably too little, too late.

A great match till the end. Argentina tried till the end. Very well done France. 

I thought France was a little too casual and overconfident. Great on the attack, pretty good in the middle, but shaky in the defense.

Argentina had grit, but they sucked on the defense, and I've no idea whose idea it was not to start with Aguerro or Higuain, but whoever decided that is a total idiot.

1 minute ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

Otamendi is a bigger wanker than Pepe.

Glad I won't have to hear his name in the WC anymore.

4-3 does not tell the story of that game. Aguero’s goal at the end was pretty much the only proper chance they had. Stupid from Otamendi - a minute to get a goal to stay in the World Cup and what do you do? Start a fight!

Ah, so sad. But... it felt inevitable from the first game. I'm glad Argentina got it together enough to put up a good showing, but the fact is, there just isn't the quality in the team to go all the way. Much as they tried, players like Perez and Meza just aren't on the same level as Messi: and Mascherano, while once he was, isn't any more.

But Argentina can go out with their heads held high.

As for Otamendi, calm down, guys. Tonight is, without doubt, the unofficial world championship of shithousery, Uruguay vs Portugal, led respectively by Suarez and Pepe. Otamendi is but a dabbler. Those two can rightly claim to be pioneers.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I thought France was a little too casual and overconfident. Great on the attack, pretty good in the middle, but shaky in the defense.

Argentina had grit, but they sucked on the defense, and I've no idea whose idea it was not to start with Aguerro or Higuain, but whoever decided that is a total idiot.

That person has a name XD Sampaoli couldn't get the juice out of the argentinian players, and couldn't come up with a strategy that worked with what they had. I wonder if he will quit. 

1 minute ago, La Albearceleste said:

, Uruguay vs Portugal, led respectively by Suarez and Pepe. Otamendi is but a dabbler. Those two can rightly claim to be pioneers.

:lol:

6 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Welp, Argentina wasn't gonna get that far anyway.

True, a miracle they passed the group phase. But I think they played better against France than the matches against Iceland and Croatia.

I hope Uruguay-Portugal to be as interesting match as this was. 

Hmm.  If ever a game looked less likely to have 7 goals, it is Uruguay v Portugal. :)

But congrats to France.  I thought they were going to blow it there for a minute.  It will be interesting to see if another generation of Argentinians can come through now.  They have way too many 30 somethings in that current squad.  France always had more options today but Argentina were their ideal opponents, as they allowed them a lot more room.  Whoever wins the later match, will give them a very different test.

Probably Uruguay though.

Edited to add. Higuain didn't look good when he played but Aguero's absence was weird.

Edited by Pentapodichi

8 minutes ago, Lady B. said:

I hope Uruguay-Portugal to be as interesting match as this was. 

'Interesting' is probably the word. I'm waiting to see Pepe mark Suarez at a corner.

That was a great game; it's too bad one of these teams had to leave so soon -- the game was deserving of being at least a semi-final. I thought the French substitutions at the end were overconfident: Argentina looked like they could tie it if they had another few minutes (they almost tied it on the very last attack).

6 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That was a great game; it's too bad one of these teams had to leave so soon -- the game was deserving of being at least a semi-final.

Yup, a pity that Argentina have to leave while Sweden is likely to make it to the quarter (semi?) finals.

Albeit Sampaoli had his tactics entirely wrong. Dybala didn't even have a minute of football on Argentina's last two games ffs.

I hope Argentina's federation appoint someone who manages to play all these talents together, rather than resting on a Messi hat-trick and surrounding him with defensive-minded players.