U.S. Politics-Hope Floats 2: We All Float Down Here

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

What did Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez do that was most important for her win?  She got out the vote.  She got people to vote who hadn't voted in midterms or who believed their vote wouldn't matter.  In 2012 when I volunteered for the local branch of the Obama campaign, they did the same.  We walked working class and poor neighborhoods while the Romney people didn't.  Getting out the vote matters, just ask Clinton and Crowley.  A candidate ignores voters at their (and our) peril.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1011776142616006662

Yea I agree with this.  If all liberals voted we wouldn't be in this position.  Neither one of my fiance's brothers voted and neither one of them would vote R if they did.  It's maddening, they'll bitch about things with the rest of us but neither could be bothered to get off their ass and vote. 

IMO this is the single biggest issue, Conservatives VOTE.  They vote no matter what.  They'll stand out in the rain and snow to vote.  They'll vote for people they don't like for reasons like the Supreme Court.  I read so many conservative people in the lead-up to the 2016 election say they don't like Trump but were going to vote for him anyway because of the court.  How'd that work out for them?  They got 2 SC justices out of that vote and counting.  Even if they hate Trump's guts, that is a massive reward for putting up with him for 4-8 years.  And if it's 8 years. who knows?   How much longer can RGB hold out?  

I just don't understand why liberals have a more difficult time with this.  In light of how shitty things are, in light of conservative attempts to gerrymander and disenfranchise potential liberal voters - why don't those very actions piss people off to the point that they'd jump through a flaming hoop to get to the polls on election day?  At some point, if you aren't willing to do something as simple as register and vote, you are complicit in the shitty things happening around you.  

11 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Dude, is that all you got to say? If so, you should be more than a little ashamed to poke your head around here. That you're not speaks volumes.

Lol why? I’m the one being calm and pointing out how to take action while most of you are freaking out and doing nothing. This type of overreaction is what often times does liberals in. Quit being keyboard warriors and take real action.

Offices of Sen. Flake:

202-224-4521 DC

602-840-1891 Phoenix

520-575-8633 Tucson

Offices of Sen. Collins:

(202)224-2523 DC

(207) 780-3575 Portland, Maine

Offices of Sen. Murkowski:

(202)-224-6665 DC

(907) 271-3735 Anchorage

(907) 586-7277 Juneau

Call them. These are their main lines.

Unless you are living in Maine, Arizona, or Alaska Collins, Flake, and Murkowski are not going to care and that will be the case for nearly all Politicians. Though you should call if you are for with the barest of a majority they do have a lot of influence if given a reason to use it.

14 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Unless you are living in Maine, Arizona, or Alaska Collins, Flake, and Murkowski are not going to care and that will be the case for nearly all Politicians. Though you should call if you are for with the barest of a majority they do have a lot of influence if given a reason to use it.

Politicians don’t care about individual calls with a few exceptions. They notice when you crash the lines though. I’ve worked in several political offices and have seen it firsthand. Given that it’s literally the only thing you can do outside of protests, do it.

Just now, chiKanery et al. said:

Politicians don’t care about individual calls with a few exceptions. They notice when you crash the lines though. I’ve worked in several political offices and have seen it firsthand. Given that it’s literally the only thing you can do outside of protests, do it.

In the end if you do not live in the state it will be an annoyance but they will move on. You crash the line with people who live in the state they will pay attention.

Not trying discouraging but it is a political reality.

38 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Lol why? I’m the one being calm and pointing out how to take action while most of you are freaking out and doing nothing. This type of overreaction is what often times does liberals in. Quit being keyboard warriors and take real action.

Maybe because you openly said "sure things will be shit for minorities, but the country will be fine". Funnily enough the minorities and people who care about them don't find that a particularly enlightened position nor are they keen to sign up for more of the politics that treats them as disposable.

24 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

In the end if you do not live in the state it will be an annoyance but they will move on. You crash the line with people who live in the state they will pay attention.

Not trying discouraging but it is a political reality.

Not really. When the lines are jammed they don’t know where you’re calling from.

13 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Maybe because you openly said "sure things will be shit for minorities, but the country will be fine". Funnily enough the minorities and people who care about them don't find that a particularly enlightened position nor are they keen to sign up for more of the politics that treats them as disposable.

I said that in response to several people who were saying this is the end of the country, which is absurd.  

1 minute ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Not really. When the lines are jammed they don’t know where you’re calling from.

I said that in response to several people who were saying this is the end of the country, which is absurd.  

What you said means that the people who will lose their lives or have them destroyed by this don't matter, your country isn't for them anyway. And fuck that along with civility.

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Offices of Sen. Flake:

202-224-4521 DC

602-840-1891 Phoenix

520-575-8633 Tucson

Offices of Sen. Collins:

(202)224-2523 DC

(207) 780-3575 Portland, Maine

Offices of Sen. Murkowski:

(202)-224-6665 DC

(907) 271-3735 Anchorage

(907) 586-7277 Juneau

Call them. These are their main lines.

None of these will vote no. They're all conservatives. They are fine with a conservative court. 

The days of Republican Presidents accidentally getting a left-leaning justice are long gone. They've well and truly learned their lesson there.

Having given the issue more thought, I think that while Roe is going to be qualified out of existence, this is going to precipitate future Federal action in the area via legislation (exactly what a Democratic President and Congress can do is uncertain, but they will try). Roberts doesn't seem inclined to invalidate flagship Democratic policies, because he knows how much of a political stink that would cause, so short of Breyer or Ginsburg going, it's not going to be a return to Lochner. Not yet anyway. 

1 hour ago, S John said:

Yea I agree with this.  If all liberals voted we wouldn't be in this position.  Neither one of my fiance's brothers voted and neither one of them would vote R if they did.  It's maddening, they'll bitch about things with the rest of us but neither could be bothered to get off their ass and vote.  

Wait, have I seen this phrase before and said congratulations? If not, congratulations, m'dear! When's the wedding, has a date been set?

We need to admit to ourselves that only physical actions are going to change things, and it will take as long as the Labor Movement did, and along the way 'our' people will be taking hits, big hits, from being beaten and arrested, to jailed and killed. 

We don't want to believe that.  We still believe that typing superior toned snark on the internet is activism.

EVERYBODY get out in the streets on Saturday!

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/18/17477376/family-separation-trump-administration-protests-june-30-families-belong-together

58 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I applaud your effort to get through, Kar, but there's only a lizard wearing a human suit on the other side of that line.

---

Taking Congress is pretty much the only play to head an even worse decline off. I wish I knew more about the political system of the US, but imagine I'll be learning more than I want to over the next several months. Does anyone else wonder if these recent developments will push Mueller's timetable up?

ETA: And if so, to any perceptible effect?

4 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I applaud your effort to get through, Kar, but there's only a lizard wearing a human suit on the other side of that line.

---

Taking Congress is pretty much the only play to head an even worse decline off. I wish I knew more about the political system of the US, but imagine I'll be learning more than I want to over the next several months. Does anyone else wonder if these recent developments will push Mueller's timetable up?

Seriously? This is a long-time regular poster who has more than demonstrated their "liberal cred." God, sometimes you guys are fucking infuriating. People here bemoaning the left cannibalizing itself and then you have primo examples of just that in this very thread. Exaggerating someone's words and putting in an intent that clearly isn't there and then deeming them "lizard in a human suit." Jesus, how holier-than-thou can someone get. 

39 minutes ago, karaddin said:

What you said means that the people who will lose their lives or have them destroyed by this don't matter, your country isn't for them anyway. And fuck that along with civility.

That’s not even remotely what I was implying.

38 minutes ago, Los Ticos Mexal said:

None of these will vote no. They're all conservatives. They are fine with a conservative court. 

They’ll ultimately vote for someone, but hopefully you can get Collins or Murkowski (or both) to vote against anyone who won’t say how they feel about Roe.  

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

---

Lol! So you admit that you don’t even know that much about our political system and yet you’re calling me a psychopath and a lizard. What a joke. The freaking out that’s going on is way over the top, and if you actually understood our institutions, you would recognize that. It will take a long time for things to work themselves through the court system, and the Chief Justice doesn’t want to make sweeping decisions in most instances.

Yeah. Seriously. His words haven't been exaggerated, and like he said, he's made his stance clear. What, you think only the rightward bent has psychos who can't relate to human experience? Oh, the the fucking lulz.

Anyway, I've already wrote him off. But that's just me.

Moving on. 

Just now, chiKanery et al. said:

Lol! So you admit that you don’t even know that much about our political system and yet you’re calling me a psychopath and a lizard. What a joke. The freaking out that’s going on is way over the top, and if you actually understood our institutions, you would recognize that. It will take a long time for things to work themselves through the court system, and the Chief Justice doesn’t want to make sweeping decisions in most instances.

You keep prattling on. It's an intellectual exercise for you, only. I see you. You only see yourself is the thing. 

---

So, Mueller. Anyone? Is the investigation moot now or is there some time before a dropdead date where any possibly incriminating criminal findings would derail the Republican thrust?

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

So, Mueller. Anyone? Is the investigation moot now or is there some time before a dropdead date where any possibly incriminating criminal findings would derail the Republican thrust?

It's entirely unclear how Kennedy retiring will affect the Mueller investigation.  Sure, SCOTUS may eventually have to rule on whether Trump can be compelled to follow a subpoena and/or able to pardon himself, but (1) we don't know if those cases will ever come to fruition, (2) even if they did, we don't know how future SCOTUS would rule, (3) we also don't know how Kennedy would have ruled, for that matter, and (4) even if SCOTUS rules in Trump's favor in both of those hypothetical cases, it doesn't end Mueller's investigation.

Archived