Match Day 15: Senegal v Colombia; Japan v Poland; Engerland v Belgium; Panama v Tunisia

Lineups:

England
: Jordan Pickford; Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, John Stones; Trent Alexander-Arnold, Eric Dier (capt) Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Danny Rose; Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford

Belgium: Thibaut Courtois (capt); Thomas Vermaelen, Dedryck Boyata, Leander Dendoncker; Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele, Yori Tielemans, Adrian Januzaj; Marouanne Fellaini, Thorgan Hazard; Michy Batshuayi

Japan going through on fair play points after the most obvious stitch up since Gijon (everyone else since tried to make it look real) is one of the most perversely ironic things I’ve heard in a long time. There are sanctions in place in other competitions to penalise sides who do not put in sufficient effort which Japan could hardly claim to have done - three disciplinary points sounds about right. Hopefully this will spell the end of nominal decing factors - though I can only think of it being used once before, in a couple of AFCONs ago where they drew lots - if sides are level on points, gd, goals scored and head to head than have a penalty shootout. Samara and Volgograd aren’t too far from each other, penalties in Saransk tomorrow would fill the rest day nicely.

Tough way for Senegal to go out. There's always going to be the potential for shenanigans since all sides involved will be aware of what's happening in the other game and there's no solution that will be palatable to everyone. The only thing I can think of is to go straight to a penalty shootout if a match ends in a draw during the group stage. That way at least head-to-head will be the decider rather than something like fair play points and drawing lots. 

I would be more ok with the fair play tiebreaker if it was only for the direct match, and not all the matches. Because the main problem is inconsistency between referees. Some aren't shy to give out cards left and right, others... don't have the balls to give a red to CR7. 

4 minutes ago, Bronn Piedra said:

What would the tie-breaker in this case have been before the Fair Play rule was created?

Drawing of lots which is even worse. At least yellow/red cards are part and parcel of the game. Picking a name out of a hat is not.

I don't watch any English football at all but I do take an interest in Rashford, really like him. Seems he scores really great goals then struggles to finish the simple ones, keep in mind I don't watch enough to know how spot on I am there.

Archived