Match Day 15: Senegal v Colombia; Japan v Poland; Engerland v Belgium; Panama v Tunisia

10 minutes ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

And now apparently he's playing right wingback, because Southgate is insane.

Given that England haven't won a knockout stage match in twelve years, it seems a bit silly to be resting players to this degree.

We've beaten two shit teams and it's straight back to the usual, 'we're going to win the World Cup'. Ffs.

Is this the general feeling amongst England fans then? I get the impression from the media that Southgate has reinvented football the way they go on about him. 

England fans are relentlessly lacking in optimism about our their chances. The media, as usual, are trying to get a fevered optimism going so they can crucify some poor fucker for missing a penalty/open goal/crucial tackle, etc when we they are inevitably knocked out.

On the Flemish television they showed a fragment of ITV (I think) one of the commentators saying it isn't bad we lost (okay, that's true) but also the A Team didn't lose and they didn't lose any momentum :dunno:

I have actually no idea if the English wanted to lose or to have a draw. Our Belgian team either played kind of bad in the beginning or didn't wanted to win but that kind of changed after the goal. And they showed in the end they also can win to bigger nations because our media was complaining the whole time that they only won against countries like Panama and Tunesia (and that they should have made more goals against them). 

The Flemish media went like the whole week that "it is maybe better we lose", then "o no, Colombia, it is maybe better we win" and now "shit, we won. It might be better if we lost the match" instead of being happy we also won without putting Lukaku, Eden Hazard and De Bruyne on the field :dunno:  

1 hour ago, Pierre Le Harceleur said:

England fans are relentlessly lacking in optimism about our their chances. The media, as usual, are trying to get a fevered optimism going so they can crucify some poor fucker for missing a penalty/open goal/crucial tackle, etc when we they are inevitably knocked out.

I couldn't watch the game due to work. How'd our my lads look today? I know one thing that has England nervous is that it's hard to read this team due to the first two opponents being relatively weak. 

A pity for Senegal but fair play points are a decent tie-breaker after points, goals and head-to-head.  Better than a random drawing anyway.  Japan’s strategy was odd: rotate most of the team against a poor Poland, lose 1-0 but get lucky that Senegal conceded a late goal to allow you to go through.  

Southgate will be reassured that he was selecting the correct first XI all along.  Cahill, Alexander-Arnold and perhaps Vardy all reassured him that they’re ready to step in if needed, but I’m not sure about the others.  Delph is probably a better back-up than Dier for Henderson, but they look thin in genuine MF roles and are relying heavily on AMFs in the team shape.  

Archived