Order of the Green Hand says Jon is Ned’s trueborn son with Ashara? I’m not sure...

Angel Eyes

2 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

She is dead because if she were alive she would be able to dispute the rumour that she was Jon's mother. 

She is dead because if she were not in all the years since then surely she would have come across enough people to quash those rumours. The ones Cersei repeats to Ned. The ones Cat hears at WF.

Bastard children of daughters were/are even still passed off as much younger siblings in order to save them from the taint of bastardy. As a Sister to Ashara Allyria still stands the chance of every privilege afforded a High Born girl. Including a great marriage. 

I also think that being forced to see your baby bonding with your mother, suffering all the disapproval and disappointment that her unwed pregnancy would bring her and never being able to claim her own child would hurt enough to lead to suicide.

I mostly agree with you and entertain no outlandish theories about Ashara.  Though there is just something about the way her death is handled that if not fishy is dressed up enough in hearsay and rumour to leave me open to the possibility that there is more going on than simply a red herring for R+L=J.  That is probably all it is and I'm not looking for the next great big theory I'm not just not betting the house that we've figured it all out.

Rumours have a way of spreading and being believed whether those caught up up in them are around to say otherwise.  LF's propaganda that Stannis sends his fool to bed his wife might seme scurrilous and onbiously malicious but it's hard to shake off, not to mention LF's lie about sleeping with Catelyn.  She would never have been able to clear her name because there would always be someone willing to believe.  Ditto Ashara.  She might have spent a lifetime fighting against that rumour and not have won.  I don't think she has to die or disappear to be the red herring for Jon's mother though the fact that she did strengthens the misdirection.

And the last point is even more depressing: the idea that what drove her to suicide was her own family taking her child away from her.

Stillbirth not miscarriage, yes, gotcha.  I don't believe the child lived and most likely this is what drove her to suicide not Arthur's death or Ned abandoning her and / or stealing her child...but I am open to GRRM having more to reveal (just not Dany is her daughter or she is Mrs Reed).

2 hours ago, Faera said:

What I see from the numerous theories about Ashara being alive is this desire to believe there was more to get story than killing herself in despair. It is a sad story and one that people might wish there was some positive resolution to. Whether they argue that Ned truly loved her and that Jon, Allyria or even Daenerys is their child; or that she fell madly in love with the fish-outta-water little crannogman Howland Reed and ran away with him, leaving behind her haughty family for a new life; or she aided Elia and Varys in saving Aegon and escaped with him to Essos, or that she freaking went to Asshai to learn magic for some reason - it's people wanting there to be a better resolution than what is said at face value. I like some of these ideas and can be seduced by then at times but when I have to look at them objectively I realise none of them are likely true.

Ashara probably was dishonoured and impregnated at Harrenhal by the rakish Brandon Stark. A man who probably didn't love her and was set to marry someone else. Not quiet Ned or adventurous Howland - had it been one of those two, perhaps she would have had a happier ending. Then he was killed in open court and the war began. Then she gave birth to their daughter... only for her to die.  The only sweet aspect that we might speculate there is to this story would be if her daughter lived and turns out to be Allyria -  bit characters with as little effect on the overall plot as her mother. Still, it's only speculation - there's no reason to believe she isn't just Ashara's younger sister.

It is the story of a young woman full of laughter and happiness falling from grace through the attitudes of their society and the tragedy of war.

Probably.  But if Allyria lived it makes Ashara's suicide all the grimmer as either she didn't receive enough support during (admittedly undignosed) post-natal depression or her family unwittingly drove her to it by taking her child away from her.  To your last point: that sounds very much like Lyanna's story, do we need the same or a very similar one for Ashara too?

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Edric is fine. It is Allyria who poses a problem. 

So lord starryfell had Edric's dad, Arthur, Ashara and then what, 18 or so years after Ashara he had Allyria? Allyria who is at most 16 or so right now?

If anyone is Ashara's then it's her.

How do you know they waited 18 years or so for Allyria? I mean, her age is not specified anywhere, IIRC.

Ashara was born anywhere between 260 and 269. Beric was born in 276/277. iF we assume that Allyria is either of same age or younger, she might have been born anywhere between 275 and 285. I really don't think that Allyria is her daughter. Passing a bastard like Ned did, may have worked because no one asked any questions. On the other hand, having Ashara pregnant and then suddenly having a child in Starfall of the same age would certainly raise quite the number of eyebrows. 

18 minutes ago, Megorova said:

First of all, based on Meera's and Jojen's story, I think, that The Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna. Should I explain this one, or is it understandable, what made me think so?

No this is widely understood within the fandom and a well supported theory. 

19 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Second - Lyanna and Howland met Ashara at Harrenhal. Not just saw her, dancing with those other men, they talked with her. Rhaegar has realised, who the mystery knight is, and after finding out, that Aerys ordered to unmask him next morning, he has sent Ashara to warn Lyanna, and get rid of that painted shield. Should I explain this?

Yes, this needs explaining! e don't as far as I am aware know Howland met Ashara. We only know that he observed her dancing. 

How do we know they talked with er? Who is They? Ned and Howland?

Rhaegar might have realised who TKotLT was yes, this is possible and there are a few hints towards it. 

What is the evidence that Rhaegar sent Ashara to warn Lyanna? 

21 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Meera and Jojen have heard that story many times, because for Howland this story is "How I met your mother". Explanations needed or not?

Yes, I am aware that this is the idea proposed when the theory that Jyana is Ashara was put forth. I recall reading it at the time it was first developed. As I said it is sketchy. They might have heard it many times for other reasons. Such as that time their father had a great adventure! The manner in which he met Ned Stark, the Tourney to end all a great event his children as Crannogmen will never have witnessed, so worth retelling. 

23 minutes ago, Megorova said:

People say, that Ashara was dishonored at Harrenhal, and Barristan said, that she turned to Stark, instead of him. Actually nothing happened at Harrenhal. Somebody just saw Ashara on late evening or at night, going in or out of Starks' tent. Howland was staying in Starks' tent, and Ashara went there to get the shield, and to warn Lyanna, that the mystery knight shouldn't return.

On what evidence? You're dismissing a primary source; Barristan was at Harrehall and had motivation to pay close attention to Ashara. In favour of your own ideas, which are not to my knowledge supported in the text. 

Barristan has no reason to be mistaken, he was infatuated with Ashara so he would be watching her and listening out for gossip. He was a KG so close to the royal party, perfectly positioned to keep an eye on her actions. As well as overhear well resourced stories from the other ladies in the royal party. 

If you want people to buy your theory then you need text from the books to back it up. 

57 minutes ago, Megorova said:

After Rhaegar supposedly kidnapped Lyanna, people knew that Arthur Dayne was with him. So possibly Howland went to Starfall, to seach for Lyanna there. He was in love with Ashara, so after they met again, he pursued relationship with her. And later she became source of his information about Lyanna's location. How else, if not from Ashara could have Ned found out about the Tower? Do you have better explanation, than this one?

Wow! This is total fantasy. Where is your evidence that Howland went to Starfall, that he was in love with her? As to the source of information on Lyanna's whereabouts. Yes I do have a better explanation namely that Rhaegar had been in the RK prior to travelling to the Trident how about he just mentioned where he had been in front of some servants who later passed that information to Ned? I mean we know that Dany knows the story of how he took Lyanna at sword point because he truly loved her, she tells us it on her way to the marriage to Hizdhar in ADWD. She can only know Rhaegars actions and feelings if someone had told her them, that someone had to have heard it from Rhaegar himself or from another who had. So simple he told his mum about Lyanna and what he'd been doing etc and she told Viserys/Darry who told Dany. And her lady in waiting, or a maid say tells Ned. Or alternatively Brandons Squire who we know survived as Ned takes him to the ToJ tells Ned as he's been in the cells there for a year or more and Rhaegar might have come to see him to get the story of what happened with Brandon. Or Maybe Barristan told Ned at the Trident after he was injured and Ned simply waited till after the sack to go rescue his sister. Barristan rode to the Trident by Rhaegars side they just didn't talk? Well we know Barristan also knows Rhaegar loved his lady Lyanna so my guess is they did chat. 

So three ideas as to how he found out each with actual evidence from the text, That Dany knows the intimate details of the story so Rhaegar must have told Rhaella. That Brandons Squire survived to travel with Ned to the ToJ, That Barristan who was with rhaegar upon his return from the ToJ knew Rhaegars intimate feelings for Lyanna implying they discussed her. 

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

The rest is a matter of logistics.

1. Was Lyanna's kidnapping random, or was it planned?

The place, from which she was kidnapped, and where was she supposed to go at that time, is a good clues, that answear this question.

2. Was Lyanna kidnapped, or did she went willingly?

There are also clues, that answear this question too.

3. Where did Lyanna and Rhaegar went after Harrenhal?

It is known, that prior Trident's Battle, Rhaegar returned to KL from south. And that after Rebellion, Lyanna was at the Tower of Joy, in northern Dorne, giving birth to her child, thus probably 9 months/40 weeks pregnant.

4. Is there something significant about location of the TofJ? What could be the reason why Lyanna was there?

5. Why did Rhagar named that place the Tower of Joy?

6. Ned and Howland are at the TofJ with newborn Jon, Lyanna's dead body, and Dawn sword. The baby needs care, the body is decaying, and the sword isn't going anywhere, and it can't get spoiled overtime (unlike Lyanna's body). So what is their priorities?

She was taken be it by force or pre-planned meeting near Harrenhall in the RL's we know this as it is in the world book. 

This was very close to the time of Brandons wedding to Catelyn and it seems likely that Lyanna was spending some time in the RL's on the run up to their nuptials. 

Was she kidnapped or did she go willingly, My guess is willingly as it would be very difficult for Rhaegar to predict her exact where abouts without having communicated with her in advance. Also Barristans words Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna seem likely to refer to a mutual relationship as being so glowing about a rape would be creepy as fuck and out of keeping with everything we know about his moral code.  But most of all Ned's own positive reflections on the man. 

We don't yet know if they went directly to the ToJ or detoured there is no evidence to suggest they did though. 

Yes this is known. 

Well that is a question but as far as I know there is nothing to suggest it is the case.  Not in the main novels or the companion books. 

I'm guessing because they where happy there. 

Priority is to get Jon a wet nurse. But they also need discretion and to transfer Lyanna's body to somewhere Silent Sisters can be engaged to strip the bones. My guess is that Ned killed three birds with one stone and went to Starfall. It isn't that far from the ToJ and Trust me I'm a breastfeeding councilor a few days of not much milk for a new born is not a problem. They lay down specific brown fat to use for energy in the first few days average three but up to six whilst the mothers milk is coming in. Colostrum is very low volume, not to mention there are numerous examples of newborns in natural disasters surviving days before being found, and yeah you can grab a goat; there may even have been one at the ToJ they had to eat after all, and beg  village women on route to take pity and nurse your baby.  

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

If you will figure out, answers to this questions, then you'll figure out the rest of the story too. Including reasons why Ashara could have been at the TofJ, at the time of Lyanna's death, why did she faked her death, and went with Howland, and also why did she changed her name to Jyana.

Well?

Nope, sorry I figured out the order or priority and it does not result in me assuming Ashara was at the ToJ, nor why she faked her death; if she did, or that she went with Howland, or changed her name. 

Seriously nothing in what you have written leads to that conclusion. 

25 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Most of your points deal with bastards marrying not "soiled" women, still I see your point. Not sure I 100% agree with it.  That said if she had a thing with Brandon and it was known then it'd be a problem outside of Dorne for sure.

1 hour ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Lewyn Martell had a paramour but again he hides her he's a KG knight. Dornish or not he can't just fuck who he likes openly.

This I think is more about breaking the oaths of the King's Guard. They seem to be a psudo-celibate order kinda like the Night's Watch.

well I think Faera nailed it. In regards to the social outcome for Ashara. 

1 minute ago, the trees have eyes said:

To your last point: that sounds very much like Lyanna's story, do we need the same or a very similar one for Ashara too?

I see no reason why not.

1 minute ago, Risto said:

Ashara was born anywhere between 260 and 269. Beric was born in 276/277. iF we assume that Allyria is either of same age or younger, she might have been born anywhere between 275 and 285. I really don't think that Allyria is her daughter. Passing a bastard like Ned did, may have worked because no one asked any questions. On the other hand, having Ashara pregnant and then suddenly having a child in Starfall of the same age would certainly raise quite the number of eyebrows. 

Fair point, it's why I think the jury is still out on Allyria. It would tie everything up in a nice bow if she does turn out to be Ashara and Brandon's daughter though if she really is just Ashara's sister I won't lose any sleep over it.

2 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

The more I think about it, the more I realise just how much that poor girl's life just... fell to pieces on every front.

22 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Yeah no, it'd suck real bad outside of Dorne. Although Dorne seems by far to be the least bad place to live in all of Westeros so staying there isn't the worst by itself.

15 minutes ago, Faera said:

The more I think about it, the more I realise just how much that poor girl's life just... fell to pieces on every front.

Making a suicide all the more likely, sad to say. :(

30 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Wow! This is total fantasy.

You did a good job picking all of that appart.

33 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

But if Allyria lived it makes Ashara's suicide all the grimmer as either she didn't receive enough support during (admittedly undignosed) post-natal depression or her family unwittingly drove her to it by taking her child away from her.

Ufff, that would indeed be a very sad state of affairs.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

How do you know they waited 18 years or so for Allyria? I mean, her age is not specified anywhere, IIRC.

We have a clue on her age though; Highborn girls usually don't marry before "flowering". They usually flower around 12 years old BUT some flower later.

Alys Karstark is 15/16 when she  goes to Jon and marries Sigorn. She was supposed to marry Daryn Hornwood when she flowered so she flowered after the war broke. She was 14 when it started.

Any child of Ashara from Harrenhal would roughly be a year older than Robb/Jon. Allyria who hasn't married with Beric yet in the first book could be 14/15 at the start of the series and she's definitely older than Edric to be telling her stories.

She fits very well.

Passing a bastard like Ned did, may have worked because no one asked any questions. On the other hand, having Ashara pregnant and then suddenly having a child in Starfall of the same age would certainly raise quite the number of eyebrows. 

Lyanna gets kidnapped. Even if Rhaegar had no sexual relationship with her, everyone assumes she was, over and over again, brutally raped. 

- Ho hey Ned, who's the little fella who looks very much like a Stark, like you and Lyanna and your brother Brandon? And by any chance have you found my betrothed, you know, your sister who Rhaegar kidnapped and raped over and over again?

+ Hello Bobb my old friend I have found Lyanna imprisoned in a tower for Rhaegar's pleasure.And little one is my bastard son. He has no connection to my brother Brandon of the Bloody Blade who is known for his lust nor does he have anything to do with my sister who was raped over and over again, despite the fact he is just old enough to be hers. You know how princes are, they rape you but they give moon tea so it's not like they'll have bastards anyway. You know how honorable I am, right? So you'll believe me when I say I cheated on my newly wed wife to have a bastard old enough to be Lyanna's.

- I believe you and have no reason to suspect what you said, honorable Ned. It's not like I have numerous bastards myself.

Now how much sense the above dialogue makes?

We have a clue on her age though; Highborn girls usually don't marry before "flowering". They usually flower around 12 years old BUT some flower later.

Alys Karstark is 15/16 when she  goes to Jon and marries Sigorn. She was supposed to marry Daryn Hornwood when she flowered so she flowered after the war broke. She was 14 when it started.

Any child of Ashara from Harrenhal would roughly be a year older than Robb/Jon. Allyria who hasn't married with Beric yet in the first book could be 14/15 at the start of the series and she's definitely older than Edric to be telling her stories.

She fits very well.

Margaery, Yara and Arianne are all older than 14/15 and they have not been engaged. Being older than Edric doesn't necessarily means it is a year or two. During one of his resurrections Beric said he couldn't have remembered the eyes of the woman he was to marry. Given that he speaks of Ashara as a woman, not as a girl, one can assume that she is close to him in age...

She can fit, but doesn't mean she is fitting.

yanna gets kidnapped. Even if Rhaegar had no sexual relationship with her, everyone assumes she was, over and over again, brutally raped. 

- Ho hey Ned, who's the little fella who looks very much like a Stark, like you and Lyanna and your brother Brandon? And by any chance have you found my betrothed, you know, your sister who Rhaegar kidnapped and raped over and over again?

+ Hello Bobb my old friend I have found Lyanna imprisoned in a tower for Rhaegar's pleasure.And little one is my bastard son. He has no connection to my brother Brandon of the Bloody Blade who is known for his lust nor does he have anything to do with my sister who was raped over and over again, despite the fact he is just old enough to be hers. You know how princes are, they rape you but they give moon tea so it's not like they'll have bastards anyway. You know how honorable I am, right? So you'll believe me when I say I cheated on my newly wed wife to have a bastard old enough to be Lyanna's.

- I believe you and have no reason to suspect what you said, honorable Ned. It's not like I have numerous bastards myself.

Now how much sense the above dialogue makes?

Not much, because the irony takes the cake...

Ned's silence and shame was rather telling. Robert could have always assumed that honorable Ned is being ashamed of what he did. Like, pretty much everyone else. Plus, as Connington quoted Varys, "thieves, cravens are soon forgotten". Someone's shame is always quickly forgotten. Especially if it is something as easily believable as that - siring a bastard. 

2 hours ago, Faera said:

Fair point, it's why I think the jury is still out on Allyria. It would tie everything up in a nice bow if she does turn out to be Ashara and Brandon's daughter though if she really is just Ashara's sister I won't lose any sleep over it.

At some point, this world needs to contract, not expand. I actually believe there is no secret there... 

38 minutes ago, Risto said:

Margaery, Yara and Arianne are all older than 14/15 and they have not been engaged. Being older than Edric doesn't necessarily means it is a year or two. During one of his resurrections Beric said he couldn't have remembered the eyes of the woman he was to marry. Given that he speaks of Ashara as a woman, not as a girl, one can assume that she is close to him in age...

Granted I have not read the complete thread.

I gotta ask who is Yara?

I agree Beric doesn't have his full faculties since he has been brought back to life more times than he can count.

Was Beric betrothed to Allyria? Who was Allyria the sister of to make Edric her nephew?

13 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Granted I have not read the complete thread.

I gotta ask who is Yara?

I agree Beric doesn't have his full faculties since he has been brought back to life more times than he can count.

Was Beric betrothed to Allyria? Who was Allyria the sister of to make Edric her nephew?

1. Yara is Asha Greyjoy's name in HBO's adaptation. I haven't been roaming General subforum for far too long :D

2. Yes, he was to marry Allyria.

3. Alltyria is a sister to former Lord of Starfall, Ashara and Arthur Dayne. It seems that there were 4 kids. Edric is the son of the Lord of Starfall, which makes Allyria his aunt.

7 minutes ago, Risto said:

1. Yara is Asha Greyjoy's name in HBO's adaptation. I haven't been roaming General subforum for far too long :D

2. Yes, he was to marry Allyria.

3. Alltyria is a sister to former Lord of Starfall, Ashara and Arthur Dayne. It seems that there were 4 kids. Edric is the son of the Lord of Starfall, which makes Allyria his aunt.

1. Cool that happens.

2. Thanks I get a confused with ASOIAF names.

3. Allyria is the sister of Edric/Ned's ----unknown?

Not arguing with you ---just wondering --- is there anything in the text where Edric knows his mum's or da's name?

The reason I ask is because when I was a first time reader the Jon Snow momma drama plucked my nerve.

On June 28, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Angel Eyes said:

This theory by the Order of the Green Hand suggests that Ned and Ashara married and Jon is their son, making Ned’s children with Catelyn bastards because Ned needed their army, suggesting reasons why Brynden Blackfish and Hoster Tully had their biggest feud yet. 

Thoughts? 

This theory might be BS.

Hello. I watched this a little while ago when I first got on to this forum and saw this thread. Wow that is a lot of stretching of the text. None of it really made any sense and I did not like that they sometimes don't use the full quote which makes it sound like they are forcing the theory because they leave stuff out. 

Besides, this is a story of rebirth and the like and Jon, Danaerys and Arya are all going to be in a marriage together as the new Aegon and his sisters thing (but Daenerys will be the queen) to reform Westeros after the wight walker invasion. 

On 7/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, Megorova said:

Another clue is Rhaegar's companions. Have you ever though, why did he took with him specifically Oswell Whent, and Arthur Dayne, and not his best friend Jon Connington, or someone else? Why those two?

Even before his exile, Connington wasn't Rhaegar's best friend. Arthur Dayne was.

Myles Mooton was Prince Rhaegar's squire, and Richard Lonmouth after him. When they won their spurs, he knighted them himself, and they remained his close companions. Young Lord Connington was dear to the prince as well, but his oldest friend was Arthur Dayne.

7 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Not arguing with you ---just wondering --- is there anything in the text where Edric knows his mum's or da's name?

The reason I ask is because when I was a first time reader the Jon Snow momma drama plucked my nerve.

3. Allyria is the sister of Edric's father.

No, there is no name of Edric's mother. But given that he is 12, we can safely assume that it is not Ashara. 

9 hours ago, Risto said:

Margaery, Yara and Arianne are all older than 14/15 and they have not been

Umm... no. Asha and Arianne are, but not Marge. She is 14 or perhaps 15 when Loras and Renly plot on replacing Cercei and she is 15 when she married Renly.

Arianne is not married because Doran of the not quite 50000 spears intended her for Viserys and turned down every appropriate suitor and directed arianne to greybeards.

Asha is an oddity. Balon should have arranged a marriage for her with some lordly lord in the islands since she is the only child he has(at hand). But for some reason he didn't.

26 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Umm... no. Asha and Arianne are, but not Marge. She is 14 or perhaps 15 when Loras and Renly plot on replacing Cercei and she is 15 when she married Renly.

Well, Margaery is married by the time she is 16. It is not unheard of to get married at the age 16, 17, 18 etc. 

The thing is that we have someone from a House that was quite close to Targaryens and obviously not OK with the current regime. One has to suppose a certain "keeping to themselves" attitude from Dornish Houses after Robert's Rebellion. 

Yes, Allyria could have been 14/15, just as easily she could have been 20 or even 25. It is not canon that she is 14/15.

12 hours ago, Risto said:

At some point, this world needs to contract, not expand. I actually believe there is no secret there... 

It does need to contract... but I still think, knowing GRRM, he will continue to expand. ;)

14 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Making a suicide all the more likely, sad to say. :(

It is very sad but I honestly think that's the point of Ashara's story. People want to believe there is a twist or a happy ending but I really don't think there is. She really is just dead.

12 hours ago, Risto said:

I'm pretty sure Margaery is the same age as Robb, Jon, and Meera - so around 15/16 - no more than 17.

You are right, though. All this talk of Allyria being of an age with the above-stated characters (maybe slightly older) is fan speculation based on nothing but the notion that newly flowered girls get married off asap... even though that isn't always true. There are examples of marriages occuring between women in their late teens or early twenties. It is odd for a woman of that age not to be engaged (hence why Arianne's lack of a match raised eyebrows) but not necessarily that she is unmarried.

10 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

As far as I remember, Allyria is only spoken of as Edric's aunt who is engaged to Beric, with no definitive statement saying she is Ashara and Arthur's sister.

Literally, the only indication we have that Allyria is "Allyria Dayne" comes from the WOIAF app, where she has an entry under the name "Allyria Dayne" where she is cited as the younger sibling of Arthur and Ashara. Under Beric's profile is simply states, "He is betrothed to the Lady Allyria of House Dayne, and has her nephew, Lord Edric of Starfall, as his squire." Likewise, with Edric, the app merely states he is "the son of a sibling of Ser Arthur Dayne, Lady Ashara, and Lady Allyria." - so, no, we don't know who Edric's parents are.

19 minutes ago, Faera said:

Literally, the only indication we have that Allyria is "Allyria Dayne" comes from the WOIAF app, where she has an entry under the name "Allyria Dayne" where she is cited as the younger sibling of Arthur and Ashara.

That really makes me think she won't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Wouldn't GRRM make sure we knew stuff like that without having to look it up in a app?

28 minutes ago, Faera said:

I'm pretty sure Margaery is the same age as Robb, Jon, and Meera - so around 15/16 - no more than 17.

Yes, she is 16. But the point still stands. You can have woman married even above the age of 15.

29 minutes ago, Faera said:

You are right, though. All this talk of Allyria being of an age with the above-stated characters (maybe slightly older) is fan speculation based on nothing but the notion that newly flowered girls get married off asap... even though that isn't always true. There are examples of marriages occuring between women in their late teens or early twenties. It is odd for a woman of that age not to be engaged (hence why Arianne's lack of a match raised eyebrows) but not necessarily that she is unmarried

Arianne had a lot of matches. Willas Tyrell and Edmure Tully to name few. Not to mention those whom she rejected, including Walder Frey. We also forget the politics at hand. Martells bled during Robert's Rebellion and we do know that Jon Arryn had to calm down Oberyn and many voices who demanded war. Just like with North, it is not unusual for other Westerosi to see Dornish as more private. That's why Arianne's wedding status, which would be truly weird if she is in Stormlands or Westerlands, go more or less unnoticed in Dorne.

given that Ran has seen the Dayne family tree I think we'll eventually find out the names of that elder Dayne brother and his wife. And I'd say it is safe to say that Allyria is listed as a Dayne on it.  I know his original comment re seeing it was in regards to Darkstar being listed as having just regular parents and no great mystery was involved but I'd guess had there been some great reveal from it we'd have got a cryptic comment and not the straight answer that we did. 

Certainly if Allyria is Ashara's daughter by Brandon I really don't think that would be raised in the books or impact on the story at all. But just simply be something that some readers would pick up on. 

"The Lady Allyria turned her long face caught in profile against the low winter sun as she replied" No, I will never accept your proposal Gerold, I believe Ned is out there. "

or "Her dark grey eyes flashed anger as he snatched up Dawn and fled." 

Excuse my shit fan fiction :blushing: but you get the idea. That literally that would be all we got and some readers would catch it. Others not. 

Archived