Daenerys and the number 3

Mordred

The number 3 has been significant in the eastern plot of the story because it is important to Daenerys.  One only need look at examples to get an idea.

1. 3 dragons
  2. 3 bloodriders
  3. 3 fires
  4. 3 hand maids
  5. 3 husbands
  6. Daenerys is the third living child from Aerys and Rhaella
  7. Child of 3.  She is the direct descendant of Visenya, Aegon, and Rhaenys.  She comes from the house with 3 dragons on its flag.
  8. She speaks 3 languages
  9. 3 slaver cities

Can you think of any other time when the number 3 was significant for Daenerys?

The most important references to Danerys and the number three are in the House of the Undying prophecies, which I believe are about the birth of her three children. In every stanza of that prophecy there is one line devoted to each child: who the father was/will be, what was sacrificed/will be sacrificed for that child, and pretenders stand in between that child and his/her destiny. The first line relates to Rhaego, the second to her second child, the third to the third, then the fourth line explains the stanza as a whole.

At least that seems to be how the "visions" section is structured. The spoken section is likely structured the same.

Jon Snow is Rhaegar's 3rd child.  And when you read his chapters, the number 3 comes up often.  I had started circling the number every time I came across it during a reread once and it was honestly EVERYWHERE.  I'm sure that's to give them some sort of future connection, but I'll refrain from theorizing...they tend to hijack threads. :) 

Number 3 is very symbolic number in many folklores.

Three aspects of God, three-headed dog Cerberus, three basic virtues of Zoroastrianism, three-headed Slavic god Triglav, three winters without summer in Norse folklore(Fimblewinter), etc.

In addition to list of Dany's 3:

1. She got married at age 13. Though they don't say thirteen, they say ten and three.
  2. Three people came to her in Vaes Tolorro - Quaithe, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Pyat Pree.
  3. Her three ships - Vhagar, Meraxes and Balerion.
  4. She officially became Queen in a year 300 AC.
  5. After departing from Qarth, Dany met Quaithe's phantom three times - on board of Balerion ship, on terrace of pyramid in Meereen, and in Dothraki Sea, after her flight on Drogon.

14 hours ago, Megorova said:

In addition to list of Dany's 3:

1. She got married at age 13. Though they don't say thirteen, they say ten and three.
  2. Three people came to her in Vaes Tolorro - Quaithe, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Pyat Pree.
  3. Her three ships - Vhagar, Meraxes and Balerion.
  4. She officially became Queen in a year 300 AC.
  5. After departing from Qarth, Dany met Quaithe's phantom three times - on board of Balerion ship, on terrace of pyramid in Meereen, and in Dothraki Sea, after her flight on Drogon.

Nice.  

Add three elephants stabled under her pyramid.

She had three little brothers, that died in infancy - Daeron, Aegon, and Jaehaerys.

She's aunt of three children - Rhaenys, Aegon, Jon.

She's third Dany in Targaryen family, after Daenys the Dreamer, and Daenerys, that was married with Maron Martell.

18 hours ago, Megorova said:

She had three little brothers, that died in infancy - Daeron, Aegon, and Jaehaerys.

She's aunt of three children - Rhaenys, Aegon, Jon.

She's third Dany in Targaryen family, after Daenys the Dreamer, and Daenerys, that was married with Maron Martell.

I swear there was a Daenaera somewhere (possibly around the time of the Dance of Dragons, maybe?)

At any rate, she isn't the 3rd Targaryen named 'Dany', sorry to say.

2 hours ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

I swear there was a Daenaera somewhere (possibly around the time of the Dance of Dragons, maybe?)

At any rate, she isn't the 3rd Targaryen named 'Dany', sorry to say.

She is.

DAeNYs the Dreamer

DAeNerYs Martell (daughter of Aegon IV and Naerys Targaryen)

DAeNerYs Targaryen

Daenaera is not Dany, there's no Y in her name. So she's Dana, not Dany.

There was one Daenaera, that was Velaryon, wife of Aegon III, and their daughter was named Daena. And other Daenaera was wife of Aerion Brightflame. There was also Daella, the one that married with Arryn.

But there was only three Dany, and current is third.

21 minutes ago, Megorova said:

She is.

DAeNYs the Dreamer

DAeNerYs Martell (daughter of Aegon IV and Naerys Targaryen)

DAeNerYs Targaryen

Daenaera is not Dany, there's no Y in her name. So she's Dana, not Dany.

There was one Daenaera, that was Velaryon, wife of Aegon III, and their daughter was named Daena. And other Daenaera was wife of Aerion Brightflame. There was also Daella, the one that married with Arryn.

But there was only three Dany, and current is third.

Yeah I hadn't thought that through. Total brain fart there.

Dany will be served by the three wise men:  Jorah, Tyrion, and Marwyn.  

The role of the number tells the reader that events do not happen randomly in Dany's story line.  She is a person of great destiny.  

On 7/1/2018 at 6:03 AM, The Pink Letter said:

Dany will be served by the three wise men:  Jorah, Tyrion, and Marwyn.  

The role of the number tells the reader that events do not happen randomly in Dany's story line.  She is a person of great destiny.  

That shows the level of care our author put in Dany's story arc.  

The three wise men are Marwyn, Tyrion, and Samwell.  Jorah, Barristan,and Belwas are her protectors.

Archived