Player of the tournament so far

Yeah, I think Modric deserves to win player of the tournament. He's also been the best CM in the world for a few years now. The only concern is that FIFA might go for someone more flashy. Mbappe has improved but hasn't even been the best player for France. I think Hazard is a close shout but he has also been really selfish as well opting to dribble and dribble and dribble when a pass or cross was the better option.

There's always a load of guff chatted about Pogba. Even now when people are praising him you get articles like this making me wonder if the author ever actually watched Pogba play for us - the problem when he was being used in defensive midfield for us was never discipline. The problem was that in our system, where he never got the opportunity to ping the passes and make the forward runs that he does for France, playing him as basically Sergio Busquets was a total waste.
(he could be sloppy/indisciplined when in the attacking midfield role, but that's a different issue)

18 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Yeah, I think Modric deserves to win player of the tournament. He's also been the best CM in the world for a few years now. The only concern is that FIFA might go for someone more flashy. Mbappe has improved but hasn't even been the best player for France. I think Hazard is a close shout but he has also been really selfish as well opting to dribble and dribble and dribble when a pass or cross was the better option.

Ok good I’m not crazy. I watched a few of their games and it seemed like they wanted to keep the ball rather than attack, and Hazard seemed like he was holding the ball forever when a pass might have set up a better attack.

50 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Ok good I’m not crazy. I watched a few of their games and it seemed like they wanted to keep the ball rather than attack, and Hazard seemed like he was holding the ball forever when a pass might have set up a better attack.

Definitely against Japan.  Less so against Brazil and France. 

57 minutes ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Definitely against Japan.  Less so against Brazil and France. 

Well keep in mind that I really only understand the game from 30,000 feet. I’ve still got a lot to learn. For instance, one of the reasons I never got into soccer is because it feels like 95% of the teams, regardless of what type of competition, are just randomly kicking the ball around without purpose and hoping they get lucky. I’ve only watched a handful of teams where you can clearly tell that they have an intelligent strategy that they can execute.

Agreed on Modric.

Courtois; Trippier, Varane, Godin, Hernandez; Pogba, Kante, Modrid; Hazard, Mbappe, Lukaku as my team of the tournament.

Only when I was picking this that I realised there were four or five worthy rightbacks, all of whom would be ahead of Hernandez if they played on the left. 

My team would be: Courtois; Trippier, Thiago Silva, Varane, Hernandez; Modric, Pogba; Hazard, Griezmann, Mbappe; Mandzukic

Reserves (3-5-2): Subasic, Pickford; Pavard, Granqvist, Godin; Kante, Rakitic, De Bruyne, Cheryshev, Perisic; Lukaku, Kane

Hernandez gets in by default, since it was a poor WC for left-backs. Griezmann gets in the team for the great final specially.

Yeah definitely a tournament for right backs over left backs. Any of Trippier, Meunier and Pavard would be well deserving.

Hernandez was decent without being particularly impressive but certainly the best in the position.

I was thinking just yesterday about my team of the tournament and struggling with a LB.  Hernandez was solid in the final, and I liked him throughout, but it was a position that lacked a standout.  Marcelo was arguably the best despite a relatively early exit.  

So my team would be:

Courtois, Trippier, Varane, Godin, Marcelo, Kante, Pogba, Modric, Mbappe, Griezmann, Hazard. 

Rakitic, Coutinho, Mandzukic, Lukaku, Maguire would all get a spot on the bench. 

Are you thinking of Laxalt and Sabaly? That would be because they aren't really LB's, but I agree that  they - especialy Laxalt - did outstanding jobs at this WC.

Archived