Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

Looks like minus some regulatory approvals, we are all geared up for the Disney acquisition of Fox and all that means for the MCU.  I'm eager to see how they handle those properties.

In other news that I am not eager to see... Sony still continues to be clueless when it comes to Spiderman.

Jared Leto will star in a Michael Morbius movie that is loosely attached to the Tom Holland Spiderman, but isn't really part of the MCU either (like they are doing with the terrible looking Venom movie).

Well I'm in the mood for vampires to shake off the mantle of angsty teen romantics. I think anti-heroes aren't a bad idea in superhero films. People complain about MCU villains being very superficial. Anti-heroes getting their own movie is certainly an opportunity for Spider Man's antagonists to gain a bit of depth. And it stops the one and done cycle of villains.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:55 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

And it stops the one and done cycle of villains.

Yeah, the only consistent knock on the MCU is the lack of really good villains. It's what made the success of Thanos' character so good - a genuine sense of dread (how can he be stopped?) and also a little bit of character development can do wonders. Killmonger is probably the only other decent Marvel villain that immediately springs to mind (he also had both), but he's obviously not going to be around anymore.

The other route to a good supervillain is to make them an anti-hero, Loki-style, give them multiple appearances, and I think there is plenty of material for that in the comics. Unfortunately the best antihero possibilities (Magneto, Dr Doom, Emma Frost) are all in the non-MCU Marvel proporties.

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

The other route to a good supervillain is to make them an anti-hero, Loki-style, give them multiple appearances, and I think there is plenty of material for that in the comics. Unfortunately the best antihero possibilities (Magneto, Dr Doom, Emma Frost) are all in the non-MCU Marvel proporties.

Vulture was good as well and he is returning.

Those you mention will be returned to the MCU within the year though (barring some complete collapse)

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Vulture was good as well and he is returning.

Those you mention will be returned to the MCU within the year though (barring some complete collapse)

If I'm not mistaken the Tinkerer will be back too. Indeed I believe Spider Man doesn't know anything about him. Stark probably only knows that The Vulture couldn't have made the tech all by himself so must have had some high IQ help.

• 2 weeks later...

'Black Widow' Movie Finds Director in Cate Shortland 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-widow-movie-be-directed-by-cate-shortland-1126708

tbh I wasn't sure this film was really on the cards. Johansson's recently come under fire for being cast as a trans-man, which followed on from the Ghost in the Shell furore. It'll be interesting to see if that impacts the interest in the film.

I'm not familiar with her work (her most famous film is Lore, which I've never heard of) so can't comment on the choice.

It almost seems like Black Widow is being a bit sidelined by other female characters of greater overall import (i.e. higher power ranking) and that a really satisfying Black Widow superhero movie has missed its maximum potential. If they make is a spy thriller and not a "super hero" movie it could still be a really good solo movie for the character. But if Captain Marvel knocks it out of the park, which I hope almost all MCU fans want to see happen, then a Black Widow solo movie coming after that may fall flat.

It's kind of depressing to think that there may not be room in the MCU for a... err... muggle female Avenger solo movie once the big gun female Avenger get her solo screen time to shine. But on the flip side, Iron Man is likely to be the first and last male muggle Avenger to have a solo movie series, and he only got that gig because he was the start of this whole MCU thing. Iron Man would never get a solo show now if he was just being introduced to the MCU.  So in like manner, a solo Black Widow movie would have worked very well before the likes of Wanda Maximoff, Valkyrie and Captain Marvel turned up. Even Okoye, kind of diminishes the value of a solo Black Widow movie. I really wanted a Solo Black Widow movie a coupe of years ago, now, I'm kind of ambivalent about wanting / needing it to happen. But if they make it, I will see it since I still expect it to be a pretty good movie.

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's kind of depressing to think that there may not be room in the MCU for a... err... muggle female Avenger solo movie once the big gun female Avenger get her solo screen time to shine. But on the flip side, Iron Man is likely to be the first and last male muggle Avenger to have a solo movie series, and he only got that gig because he was the start of this whole MCU thing. Iron Man would never get a solo show now if he was just being introduced to the MCU. 

I think you're forgetting Ant-Man who is similar to Iron Man in the sense that he gets his abilities from a high-tech suit (and it's not even his design) rather than superpowers. 

I think there's a market for a Black Widow solo movie. They can make it a spy thriller, some type of origin story, some neat tie-ins to existing characters, keep it a small-scale mystery type thing.

If you think about it, apart from Ant-Man and Iron Man (muggles who use good tech), Captain America isn't really much more than a "good fighter" (as well as T'Challa come to think of it). They might be superhuman in a sense but they don't have supernatural-type powers like Thor, Hulk or Dr Strange.

So a question after watching Ant Man and The Wasp, putting in spoilers since I am not sure on rule here.

Spoiler

The mid credits scene shows Ant Man going back to the quantum realm. There is a line by Pym's wife, can't remember her name, she says something about getting the quantum healing material ...then there is a line about avoiding the time loop??? or time something. Is this a way for them to get him backwards in time to get involved in Infinity War? Reason it doesn't sound right is they don't mention infinity war at all in that scene, but it seems like mentioning "time" isn't just a throw away line.

@dbunting

Spoiler

"The mid credits scene shows Ant Man going back to the quantum realm. There is a line by Pym's wife, can't remember her name, she says something about getting the quantum healing material ...then there is a line about avoiding the time loop???"

To the bolded - I don't recall any line about avoiding a time loop during that scene.  Or any other scene.  I could very well be wrong, and if so what specifically was said??

Archived