Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Obviously off-topic, but once Disney gets into streaming it's over.  Time Warner, Comcast, and Viacom will try to match, and I expect the former to go it alone while the latter two combine for some type of Hulu remnant.  Netflix will be eaten within the decade, one way or another.  Amazon will probably merge with one of the three as well..I'll guess Viacom, which is vulnerable.

In ten years there will be a new Trump in office or the Chinese will be Chicago.

6 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

In ten years there will be a new Trump in office or the Chinese will be Chicago.

The latter is funny because Chicago used to be run by a guy who didn't care that there was puss coming out of his penis for at least a decade.  The resilience of democracy is better than you, Basillissa.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

The latter is funny because Chicago used to be run by a guy who didn't care that there was puss coming out of his penis for at least a decade.  The resilience of democracy is better than you, Basillissa.

Faith. It's a hell of a drug.

And historically democracy is an anomaly.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Obviously off-topic, but once Disney gets into streaming it's over.  Time Warner, Comcast, and Viacom will try to match, and I expect the former to go it alone while the latter two combine for some type of Hulu remnant.  Netflix will be eaten within the decade, one way or another.  Amazon will probably merge with one of the three as well..I'll guess Viacom, which is vulnerable.

Didn't AT&T buy Time Warner? So with HBO under their belt, and the latest news on that front, they will probably go at it alone. I don't see Comcast ever merging with Amazon, but Viacom maybe. Amazon just go at it alone, though.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I used to think that (at least the Disney part) but Disney have been streaming in the UK for a while now and they haven't really bitten into Netfli that I know of. And their US launch has been announced for a while without any great reaction from the other names. They also already run ESPN+ and while they're certainly looking to be the big dog in sports streaming it's by no means a foregone conclusion coz DAZN (which launches in the US in September) have a massive headstart on them worldwide and are getting aggressive in their moves in the US - and DAZN don't have nearly the head start that Netflix and Amazon do. They'll obviously make it harder for Netflix but it seems to me that the thing is that all those name value franchises are movies, not TV- if they want to take over Netflix' position as the prestige-TV kings they have to start from scratch.

The rest of it, I'm hardly any kind of expert but I'm not sure it's as simple as you're saying. Netflix might be a smaller company (are they still?) but having essentially made this market they have a name recognition internationally that the cable companies don't, so any 'eating' of them is going to have to involve some kind of merger/buyout/co-deal where it is their name that is used, but within ten years? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but all the maneuvering and merging that's going on now is in large part a reaction to Netflix's shocking growth, it doesn't scream 'we can take over from you any time we like'.

Amazon I don't see linking with any of the others on anything but their own terms as long as Bezos is in charge. Making prestige TV is as much of a passion project (or ego trip depending on how kindly you look on him) for him as a business move.

Now, if and when Apple and Google start getting into it then I'll think Netflix might be in trouble.

I think a large part of the media landscape really just rests on content. If companies have good content, then they'll be fine on their own unless they choose to be acquired. Owning the infrastructure and cables etc (AT&T) is all well and good but if you don't have good content to convince people to hand over their money then in this day and age people will just jump ship to wherever the grass is greener.

I think it's why Disney have made all their recent acquisitions. Lucasfilm and Marvel are are two of the richest content properties in entertainment, with their name recognition and large fanbases. Disney is actually playing it safe as those properties have stable, loyal fans.

The more adventurous route to go with is Netflix producing original content (e.g. House of Cards, which was the first thing that got them going). HBO is probably the "mature" version of Netflix where they have a reputation for well-executed tentpole series e.g. GoT. The only issue is that production seems pretty capital heavy so that's where perhaps they'll all eventually get parent companies who can be the big financial backer. Netflix would be too expensive to acquire for anyone at this stage though.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Didn't AT&T buy Time Warner? So with HBO under their belt, and the latest news on that front, they will probably go at it alone. I don't see Comcast ever merging with Amazon, but Viacom maybe. Amazon just go at it alone, though.

Right I just didn't want to write out AT&T/Time Warner - just as I never liked writing out AOL/Time Warner.  And I agree they will use HBO to launch their own service, that's what I was suggesting.  And I agree Comcast likely wouldn't merge with Amazon, but Viacom might - or Amazon may go it alone.  So..yeah, agree.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I used to think that (at least the Disney part) but Disney have been streaming in the UK for a while now and they haven't really bitten into Netfli that I know of. And their US launch has been announced for a while without any great reaction from the other names.

Well, I don't know about internationally, but they still have to wait for licensing deals to run out - they own a lot of shit I watch on Netflix right now.  Once the Fox deal goes through, they own even more.

The rest of it, I'm hardly any kind of expert but I'm not sure it's as simple as you're saying. Netflix might be a smaller company (are they still?) but having essentially made this market they have a name recognition internationally that the cable companies don't, so any 'eating' of them is going to have to involve some kind of merger/buyout/co-deal where it is their name that is used, but within ten years? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but all the maneuvering and merging that's going on now is in large part a reaction to Netflix's shocking growth, it doesn't scream 'we can take over from you any time we like'.

The trend of media concentration and conglomerates since the 96 Telecommunications Act is actually pretty simple to observe.  And yes, Netflix is still a decidedly small fish compared to the big fish.

Amazon I don't see linking with any of the others on anything but their own terms as long as Bezos is in charge.

Sure, didn't mean to suggest it wouldn't be on their terms.

1 minute ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Wow. James Gunn was fired.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn-fired-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-offensive-tweets-1202430392/

The Guardians films were never my favorite, but I know they rank high among MCU fans. This is a big blow. That said, I'm interested to see who they get to replace him.

Seems like a crazy overreaction. They were offensive jokes, but they were clearly jokes and seemed (to me) to obviously be coming from a desire to shock rather than any malicious intent.

Although, I may be more defensive than I would otherwise be knowing that these old tweets were dug up by MAGA assholes who were angry at Gunn for being anti-Trump.

2 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Wow. James Gunn was fired.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn-fired-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-offensive-tweets-1202430392/

The Guardians films were never my favorite, but I know they rank high among MCU fans. This is a big blow. That said, I'm interested to see who they get to replace him.

Kind of weird in the sense that the "jokes" and such were there and in the open years before he was hired for GotG 1.  So Disney should have known about them previously.

15 minutes ago, Fez said:

Seems like a crazy overreaction. They were offensive jokes, but they were clearly jokes and seemed (to me) to obviously be coming from a desire to shock rather than any malicious intent.

Although, I may be more defensive than I would otherwise be knowing that these old tweets were dug up by MAGA assholes who were angry at Gunn for being anti-Trump.

In a further example of the universe not making any sense any more, the MAGA dude who dug up the tweets is the former AngryGoTFan, formerly of this parish, I believe.

24 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Kind of weird in the sense that the "jokes" and such were there and in the open years before he was hired for GotG 1.  So Disney should have known about them previously.

This is nothing about when the incidents occurred but they are now public and they got an angry tweet mob about.

This is being too hopeful yet it will be nice for the cast to state they will not return unless this is reconsidered.

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

In a further example of the universe not making any sense any more, the MAGA dude who dug up the tweets is the former AngryGoTFan, formerly of this parish, I believe.

I more than half-seriously believe that we do all live in a simulation, and it is rapidly breaking down.

9 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

On one hand, I think it's utterly stupid to fire Gunn because of this. On the other, it's 2018 and he should have seen this coming. Would be better to reveal them outright before attacking people on Twitter.

Another thing is, after seeing the tweets today, I actually remembered seeing at least one of them when he first tweeted it. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2 obviously has made him a much bigger name, but he was already a successful writer and director in 2010 and was very much in the public eye. And Twitter wasn't huge in 2010, but it was relatively well-known. This is something that should've already been considered part of his known record (especially to a big company like Disney), even if most people had forgotten it/never known. With it coming to light again, I think an apology and some act of contrition would've been sufficient.

Archived