Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I adore Stephen Colbert.  Dude just called out Les Moonves even though he owes his career to him.  He's also a sunday school teacher.  Let's not hate on people that choose to believe.  Otherwise, you'll end up like Bill Maher - bitter, ugly, and alone.

Bill Maher>>>>>>>>>Stephen Colbert 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I honestly do wonder.  Disney is clearly and understandably risk averse.  I almost want to go back to my game theory seminars..but no.  They sucked so hard.  The only way Gunn will be reinstated is if Iger and co. are bothered enough - so Imma go try to keep it up.

There's a rumour Disney are having a meeting with Gunn so maybe the petition and actors open letter have them reconsidering. I guess the question then might be whether Gunn will return.

Either way this doesn't look good for Disney. Someone clearly reacted too quickly. They should have thought it through as now they will get the second backlash from genuinely offended, alt-right and those who don't bother fact checking. 

marvel studios on the other hand are playing this smart. I don't think I've seen any official comment from them or Feige beyond the cast. This is wise as they haven't said anything that could seal Gunn's fate and would bet they've been having meetings with Disney to figure out a solution.

It could be spun that they have the guts to reflect and reconsider ... :dunno:

Marvel, and Feige in particular, do come across as pretty savvy and smart.  I really really hope he's the good guy he presents in the media.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Bill Maher>>>>>>>>>Stephen Colbert 

No.

I used to be a big fan of Maher's show.  I still think his program is important to a degree, but one cringe worthy thing after another turned me off.

He did virtually nothing when Andrew Sullivan Slandered Noam Chomsky on his program.  Also, Maher has pushed anti-vaxxer nonsense in the past.  I don't know where he stands now.

Didn’t I see that Disney had never actually officially announced Gunn as director for GotG3?

Seems would have been more prudent to just quietly sit on it and say they had no director attached.  Then if it blows over, do something later.

Anway, back towards topc

Venom looks like ass. Both in the figurative and literal sense.  Kind of sounds like ass too. Like...I feel like that movie is the result of a bet.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

There's a rumour Disney are having a meeting with Gunn so maybe the petition and actors open letter have them reconsidering. I guess the question then might be whether Gunn will return.

Either way this doesn't look good for Disney. Someone clearly reacted too quickly. They should have thought it through as now they will get the second backlash from genuinely offended, alt-right and those who don't bother fact checking. 

marvel studios on the other hand are playing this smart. I don't think I've seen any official comment from them or Feige beyond the cast. This is wise as they haven't said anything that could seal Gunn's fate and would bet they've been having meetings with Disney to figure out a solution.

Disney pretty much just issued a statement that was "lol no Gunn is kaput". And yeah, this has backfired on them badly.

17 hours ago, DMC said:

Ew.  Clean yourself up.

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

No.

I used to be a big fan of Maher's show.  I still think his program is important to a degree, but one cringe worthy thing after another turned me off.

He did virtually nothing when Andrew Sullivan Slandered Noam Chomsky on his program.  Also, Maher has pushed anti-vaxxer nonsense in the past.  I don't know where he stands now.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ew. no. No no no. NO.

Eh, matter of taste I guess. I’ve been a fan of Maher going all the way back to Politically Incorrect. I LOVED Religulous. Don’t watch Real Time as much as I used to but I admire how genuine Bill is. And that he’s not afraid to call out both sides. Fellow atheist as well. 

Dont have a strong dislike for Colbert tbh (other than his annoying interview of Maher when he kept interrupting him), but I’m not really a fan either. I guess I can take or leave him at the end of the day. The most interesting thing about him is his LotR obsession, imo. :P

22 hours ago, DMC said:

I adore Stephen Colbert.  Dude just called out Les Moonves even though he owes his career to him.  He's also a sunday school teacher.  Let's not hate on people that choose to believe.  Otherwise, you'll end up like Bill Maher - bitter, ugly, and alone.

There are arseholes in every group with which we might identify. There are good people in almost every group with which you do not identify.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

I don't think Gunn is coming back. I think Disney wants Gunn to get Disney off the hook with, hopefully, most people (and all the cast) who rightly criticised Disney for making an unreasonable knee-jerk decision. Disney will come out with a statement that walks back the severity of their original firing announcement, and Gunn will say that they have amicably chosen to part ways with no hard feelings, and please continue to support the Guardians etc etc.

What Disney said and did could have severely damaged Gunn's career in film and made it difficult for other studios to hire him. Gunn can be rightly aggrieved at Disney having that kind of effect on his career. So I think it is proper that Disney makes a clear change in its tone, so as to repair whatever damage was done to Gunn's career prospects outside of Disney. Including possibly offering some criticism of the person who was the catalyst for this whole mess.

The World Cup was mostly not on my radar, so I didn't even realise the delay for Ant Man was because of it. I do wonder if delaying the release will end up losing the movie more viewers than releasing at the same time as the World Cup

45 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I terms of popularity maybe.  If there is anyone on the left or center as full of shit as those two, I can't think of them.

If we were dealing in 1 to 1 comparisons of left v right then there would be no conversation at all.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

What I wonder at this point is if they are going to keep any of Gunn's script and soundtrack choices.

I can't see how they can without looking incredibly inconsistent. How is it acceptable for him to write the screenplay but not direct? I guess they can use the bullshit line of "he had turned in (and been paid for) the screenplay prior to the firing." That's obviously what they want as some middle of the road compromise. Hopefully Gunn can tell them where to stick the screenplay and soundtrack. But as someone mentioned above the compromise will probably be along the lines of "if you don't play ball we will make sure you never work anywhere again".

This whole thing reminds me that having Dr Doom and wolverine in an MCU film is not worth the extra power it hands Disney. It may not be so long that a firing from Disney means you can't work anywhere in films. There's only Amazon and Netflix who seem able to resist at the moment but even that could change when Disney moves into streaming.

I still don't see how I'm going to watch a guardians film without Gunn directing. Fortunately the sequel ended in such a way that I didn't need to know what would happen next. And unless the next avengers film ends with cruel cliffhanger set ups for their franchises I should be good.

Someone mentioned at the time that the most underhanded way to get people on board a non Gunn guardians film would be to insert Thor into it with waititi directing and making it as much a Ragnarok sequel as a guardians one. That would make me conflicted as I live what they've done with Thor since Ragnarok - he was the star of the infinity war film for me.

Archived