Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

Toy Story 3 was also nominated for best picture and won for best animated.

And Beauty and the Beast was nominated for best picture back in 1992, which was before best animated was a category.

29 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wow, I had no idea.

Looking at that year, Up should have won. :P

And perhaps it might have if best animated didn't exist...who am I kidding animated would never win BP.

The other similarity with best animated is that best popular will almost always be won by Disney, just like animated almost always is. They might as well just have 2 Disney categories: best Disney animated; and best Disney live action. and give up the pretense.

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah well if I boycotted everything that made some rich GOP fuck money I would have to go live in a cave in a mountain somewhere 

Yeah, no. 

"Sources" say that Disney might be considering bringing Gunn back.

Sources said the Marvel contingent is trying to persuade Disney to explore a compromise that might bring Gunn back into the fold for Guardians 3

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Yesterday, "sources" were saying that they had scrapped Gunn's script for GotG 3. I'll wait for an official announcement.

That's from Omega Underground, some pop culture website I've never heard of before. Deadline Hollywood is a major player as an industry news site, and has some of the best sources.

So the internet has basically forced me into looking up this entire James Gunn story.  I wasn't interested because I'm not a big superhero/Marvel fan.  I figured it was another case of someone in Hollywood putting out insensitive tweets and losing their job.  Then I heard a bunch of the actors came to his defense.  That struck me as curious since it's rare for liberal Hollywood to throw out support for any of these ostracized men.  Still wasn't interested in looking up the entire story.  Then I saw Bobcat Goldthwait on Late Night--Bobcat is funny enough to withstand Colbert for 10 minutes--and he explained how the alternative right had escalated the story in order for Gunn to be terminated.  

So basically this is a case of the alternative right fighting fire with fire and the losers continue to be fans of the first amendment?  I don't get it.  What makes this guy so special?  Big deal he directs a superhero movie.  If the alternative right was responsible for releasing that Al Franken pic, then I completely understand.  That's brilliant.  But some random director who disconcertingly made crappy pedophilia jokes years ago ..:mellow:

My guess is the most realistic face saving movie is to keep Gunn's script, and thereby give him a writing credit. 

Some people think Bob Iger is looking to primary Trump for 2020. If he has half an eye on that, then re-hiring Gunn in any capacity is a weakness from the perspective of the right that will be used mercilessly against him if he does try to primary Trump. So if Disney re-hires Gunn, it might suggest that Iger has no immediate designs on the White House.

3 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

So the internet has basically forced me into looking up this entire James Gunn story.  I wasn't interested because I'm not a big superhero/Marvel fan.  I figured it was another case of someone in Hollywood putting out insensitive tweets and losing their job.  Then I heard a bunch of the actors came to his defense.  That struck me as curious since it's rare for liberal Hollywood to throw out support for any of these ostracized men.  Still wasn't interested in looking up the entire story.  Then I saw Bobcat Goldthwait on Late Night--Bobcat is funny enough to withstand Colbert for 10 minutes--and he explained how the alternative right had escalated the story in order for Gunn to be terminated.  

So basically this is a case of the alternative right fighting fire with fire and the losers continue to be fans of the first amendment?  I don't get it.  What makes this guy so special?  Big deal he directs a superhero movie.  If the alternative right was responsible for releasing that Al Franken pic, then I completely understand.  That's brilliant.  But some random director who disconcertingly made crappy pedophilia jokes years ago ..:mellow:

I'm not sure what you mean by fighting fire with fire. As far as I know nobody on the left has gone out of their way to dig up old tweets in an effort to get someone fired.

Also this has nothing to do with the first amendment. That only applies to the government not private corporations. No one is claiming Gunn's rights were violated. Only that Disney may have overreacted and in the process empowered people to try to use old jokes made in poor taste to get people they don't agree with politically fired. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm not sure what you mean by fighting fire with fire. As far as I know nobody on the left has gone out of their way to dig up old tweets in an effort to get someone fired.

Also this has nothing to do with the first amendment. That only applies to the government not private corporations. No one is claiming Gunn's rights were violated. Only that Disney may have overreacted and in the process empowered people to try to use old jokes made in poor taste to get people they don't agree with politically fired. 

Dude is an alt right troll. Don't feed it.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Also this has nothing to do with the first amendment. That only applies to the government not private corporations. 

The first amendment only applies to the government?

And you're right I don't believe anyone on the left has used old tweets in order to shame someone in order for termination.  However, old relationships have been used consistently in the #MeToo movement.  Obviously an abusive relationship is more egregious than any tweet.  

If criminal charges have not been pressed against these terminated men, I remain skeptical.  

I understand the importance of understanding how your government is run.  However, it's not important to idolize those who run it.  Politicians used to be considered a slight notch above lawyers on the scale of most despicable professions.  Now everyone is doing their best to impersonate them as if they're rockstars.  That's what all of this is.  Online debates have become a fantasy playground where everyone thinks they're on Capitol Hill.  

14 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Technically the 1st amendment doesn't even prohibit govt entities (the police) from beating you to a pulp for airing certain views, provided Congress does not make a law prescribing that people should be beaten to a pulp for airing certain views.

It does not prevent publicly funded universities from denying certain people the use of its venues for the purposes of giving speeches that are deemed objectionable to the people who run the university.

I have no idea about subsequent supreme court judgments in expanding the scope of the first amendment to include things like police beating people up for speaking in public as being 1st amendment violations, but I'm guessing some court has decided this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Yup.

And you're right I don't believe anyone on the left has used old tweets in order to shame someone in order for termination.  However, old relationships have been used consistently in the #MeToo movement.  Obviously an abusive relationship is more egregious than any tweet. 

O....kay. but there's a huge difference between accusations of criminal behavior and a guy making tasteless jokes? 

If criminal charges have not been pressed against these terminated men, I remain skeptical.  

I understand the importance of understanding how your government is run.  However, it's not important to idolize those who run it.  Politicians used to be considered a slight notch above lawyers on the scale of most despicable professions.  Now everyone is doing their best to impersonate them as if they're rockstars.  That's what all of this is.  Online debates have become a fantasy playground where everyone thinks they're on Capitol Hill.  

This part of your post confuses me, and I would like to unsubscribe to your newsletter. 

@RumHam The first amendment applies to the government and its citizens.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

This part of your post confuses me, and I would like to unsubscribe to your newsletter. 

Not sure if that was intended as a question or if it was a statement.  Regardless, I already stated that the abuse--accusations that don't result in criminal charges I remain skeptical on--is more egregious.  

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

No worries.  

Archived