International News Thread

What the hell? Artists doing concerts in Saudi Arabia, at the same time as there's this BDS wave vs. Israel going on? Is there some hypocrisy happening here? I don't have a firm view on BDS other than I don't think it's fundamentally anti-Semite to be pissed off at Israel and want to do something about it. There is more than a handful of Jewish people who may not be on the BDS train, but are certainly highly critical of Israel. But I definitely think that if you're going to be BDS, you should also be looking at Saudi Arabia with an equally critical eye. 

Though I will allow that if you go and give a women's only concert that might be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

What has got to be the most hilarious and yet saddest news at the same time...

http://www.tellerreport.com/life/--the-russian-archipelago-of-new-zembla-faces-an-"invasion"-of-aggressive-polar-bears-.HJfn8ELxBN.html

The Russian archipelago of New Zembla faces an "invasion" of aggressive polar bears

They wander in gangs, attack people in the street, invite themselves into apartment buildings or make garbage cans, as illustrated by many videos. The authorities of New Zent, the Russian archipelago of the Barents Sea, declared Saturday, February 9, the state of emergency in the face of the "invasion" of dozens of polar bears ( Ursus maritimus ), also known as of aggressive polar bears, victims of climate disruption and melting ice.

Apparently the Belgian government might have given the permission to give - against international law - interests of a sum of 16 billion euros to militias in Libya. 

The reportage in French: https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_questions-a-la-une?id=2459938 (not sure if the link works outside of Belgium).

17 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I hate humanity sometimes.

The unfortunate thing is that probably the only way to keep the bears from terrorising the township without killing them is to slaughter about 3000 seals and feed the bears far outside the town, and to probably do that indefinitely. The shit the bears are probably eating around the town is probably really bad for them and they will probably end up suffering from nutritional deficiencies and become subfertile and susceptible to disease.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:36 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

The unfortunate thing is that probably the only way to keep the bears from terrorising the township without killing them is to slaughter about 3000 seals and feed the bears far outside the town, and to probably do that indefinitely. The shit the bears are probably eating around the town is probably really bad for them and they will probably end up suffering from nutritional deficiencies and become subfertile and susceptible to disease.

Churchill, Manitoba is the polar bear capital of the world. The residents there have dealt with polar bears in town for years. Don't leave garbage around for them to eat and they soon learn that there is no reason to come in to town. The residents have also learned how not to end up as snack food for bears without having to kill the bears. Don't walk alone at night, carry something that will scare the away, and don't lock you doors in case a neighbour needs  a safe place to go. 

12 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Churchill, Manitoba is the polar bear capital of the world. The residents there have dealt with polar bears in town for years. Don't leave garbage around for them to eat and they soon learn that there is no reason to come in to town. The residents have also learned how not to end up as snack food for bears without having to kill the bears. Don't walk alone at night, carry something that will scare the away, and don't lock you doors in case a neighbour needs  a safe place to go. 

I just looked that place up, and you forgot to mention something.

Polar Bear Jail.

So, it seems Serbia becomes the first country ever to have a LGBTQIA+ Prime Minister with a child.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47312826

One has to be well versed in Serbian politics to fully understand in how many ways it is wrong to claim that we have gotten there where no country has been. This, unfortunately, means nothing for thousands of LGBTQIA+ people in Serbia, who have been repeatedly bullied, offended and discriminated, sometimes by the Prime Minister's party members and Ministers in her Government. That said, it seems that certain libreties are reserved for some, not for others... Balkan democracy 1.01. :(

I’m seeing reports now that Pakistani and Indian forces have been exchanging fire, primarily shelling, across the LoC throughout the day since the Indian Air Force struck an alleged terrorist base (the same group that carried out a suicide bombing on Indian paramilitary troops that killed 40 on the 14th) last night and that shelling continues. 

One of the twitter threads I’ve been following that seems reliable- 

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time in human history that 2 nuclear countries are actively shooting at each other right? The other nuclear countries have never militarily attacked each other?

Wouldn't surprise me if nuclear material got used. A country with nukes also has radioactive waste it can deploy. It's possibly (hopefully) unlikely either country will actually nuke the other, but I can see both countries throwing dirty bombs across the border.

The silver lining to any mushroom cloud could be that India and Pakistan realise they need to stop pissing about and actually resolve their issues fully and permanently.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time in human history that 2 nuclear countries are actively shooting at each other right? The other nuclear countries have never militarily attacked each other?

Wouldn't surprise me if nuclear material got used. A country with nukes also has radioactive waste it can deploy. It's possibly (hopefully) unlikely either country will actually nuke the other, but I can see both countries throwing dirty bombs across the border.

The silver lining to any mushroom cloud could be that India and Pakistan realise they need to stop pissing about and actually resolve their issues fully and permanently.

They have had this spat over Kashmere for decades, fortunately neither side is crazy enough to use nuclear material. Maybe the proximity is a factoring in, as in, radiation wouldn't stay there, and they would retaliate.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They went to war in 1999 for about 2 months when they both had nukes, so this isn’t the first time for that. What is different is that the scale seems to be bigger this time. India’s use of planes to bomb targets in Pakistan proper is unprecedented. 

25 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

They went to war in 1999 for about 2 months when they both had nukes, so this isn’t the first time for that. What is different is that the scale seems to be bigger this time. India’s use of planes to bomb targets in Pakistan proper is unprecedented. 

Geez, I forgot they had nukes last century.

Both armies mobilising. Assumedly as a precaution in case they can't de-escalate. China (who also has claims over Kashmir) is apparently talking to at least Pakistan about de-escalation.

In case you're hungry, Burger Singh has a 20% off deal now if you use the code #FPAKAGAIN. I would say there is enough animosity between both sides for it to be hard to calm things down.

Modi was down in the polls before this. Probably be up now and i can see him wanting to look strong and not back down to keep any gains he may have made. Imran Khan always seemed calculating when he played cricket but i haven't kept up with his current attitudes. I've heard he's a lot more devout now.

ETA: I also read somewhere India had dammed some of the water to pakistan but cant confirm.

10 minutes ago, Squab said:

Both armies mobilising. Assumedly as a precaution in case they can't de-escalate. China (who also has claims over Kashmir) is apparently talking to at least Pakistan about de-escalation.

In case you're hungry, Burger Singh has a 20% off deal now if you use the code #FPAKAGAIN. I would say there is enough animosity between both sides for it to be hard to calm things down.

Modi was down in the polls before this. Probably be up now and i can see him wanting to look strong and not back down to keep any gains he may have made. Imran Khan always seemed calculating when he played cricket but i haven't kept up with his current attitudes. I've heard he's a lot more devout now.

ETA: I also read somewhere India had dammed some of the water to pakistan but cant confirm.

What’s your source that says they’re mobilizing?

Last week India announced plans to divert water that had been flowing to Pakistan. This was still in line with the treaty that governs the flow of rivers into Pakistan and India and the water that had been going to Pakistan had been delivered in good faith. No there is little faith to be had anywhere it seems. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, The Marquis de Leech said:

Venezuela has more than a whiff of Allende's Chile, to be honest.

Interestingly, Australia has now backed Guaido, but New Zealand is refusing to. 

Did Allende arrest and expel foreign journalists first invited to Chile to interview Allende?

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/26/698093977/venezuela-expels-univision-team

Did Allende refuse to allow foreign aid into Chile while Chilieans starved?

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/08/692698637/humanitarian-aid-arrives-for-venezuela-but-maduro-blocks-it

Did millions of people flee Allende’s Chile because of Allende’s policies?

If not then Maduro is nothing like Allende.

Archived