Dothraki and the Rhoyne

Kunzlo

Hi, so I was wondering how the Dothraki crossed the Rhoyne, I don't see how they would cross not having boats of any kind, and they seemed to shun their use all together. I can't see the Volantenes allowing them into the city to cross, and I thought the bridges of the Rhoynar cities were destroyed with said cities. Looking at the map they would need to venture far northern Essos near to Braavos, which there has been no mention of. Thanks for any insights anyone could give. 

On 6/30/2018 at 4:12 AM, Kunzlo said:

Hi, so I was wondering how the Dothraki crossed the Rhoyne, I don't see how they would cross not having boats of any kind, and they seemed to shun their use all together. I can't see the Volantenes allowing them into the city to cross, and I thought the bridges of the Rhoynar cities were destroyed with said cities. Looking at the map they would need to venture far northern Essos near to Braavos, which there has been no mention of. Thanks for any insights anyone could give. 

It may have many naturaly shallow crossable points ,the bridges may have been rebuilt or smaller ones dotted across it to improve trade and make travel easier etc

The dothratki threathen the Free Cities on the coast, Pentos we know for sure. Daenerys makes the reverse journey in GoT, (using some internet, I don't have the books and quotes ready). She goes by Norvos, and cross some of the upper tributary rivers of the Royne, maybe the rivers are fordable at this point (this also makes sense for Norvos being in the location it is.) Or there are unmentioned bridges. What is sure is that they are able to do it with a large band of horses, carts and slaves so it's logical to assume there is a ford or a bridge.

Choose whatever fits your interpretation of the story better

I guess that is possible. I always found it strange that the Dothraki threaten Pentos and Myr from their position so far from the Dothraki Sea with the Rhoyne, and Qohor, Norvos, and Volantis in the ways. Also, their conquests since the end of the Century of Blood have been very small, compared to the previous centuries. 

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt GRRM is even aware of this, but when the Bulgars crossed the Danube under Khan Asparukh, they swam the river, and brought their horses & belongings across on rafts. There's even an entire novel about it (can't remember the name). So if I were Khal Pono, that's how I would do it. Swimming, and rafts. Mostly rafts, since I doubt the Dothraki can swim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 5:12 AM, Kunzlo said:

IIRC, Tyrion notes that the upper Rhoyne (Nysar or a bit down to Dagger Lake) is not larger than Westerosi rivers, and Westerosi rivers have fords. So, possibly they provide ways to the Dothraki to cross the Rhoyne and then go south if they wish.

Whilst Dothranki are known to threaten Pentos, is unclear if they have gone as south to threaten Myr. Volantis is different as the Black Walls are east of the Rhoyne as well as other cities and agricultural lands.

Archived