Who's on Lady Stoneheart's list?

Angel Eyes

So who are the various characters that Lady Stoneheart is trying to kill? I honestly don't see the purpose of zombie Catelyn running around the Riverlands, so I'm trying to figure it out.

• House Frey (violated guest right that caused her death)
  • House Lannister (caused greatest harm to her family
  • Boys (indiscriminately)
  • Jon Snow? (object of jealousy for the other woman in Ned's life)

I don't think any Riverlords are safe from her, tbh. As of ADWD, they have all bent the knee to the Lannisters, so LSH may decide they have to go. If she extends her reach, the Knights of the Vale refused to help her son, so they might feel her wrath.

I don't think she has been indiscriminately murdering people. If anything, she seems to be very focused on taking revenge. Boys in general did not betray Robb.

1 hour ago, Faydra said:

Yet another Catelyn hate thread. "Boys (indiscriminately)" betrayed it.

It wasn’t supposed to be.

As for the Boys indiscriminately, I was referring specifically to Podrick Payne. 

What I’m trying to do is understand what’s going on with her, since I’m not sure what her purpose is.

11 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

As for the Boys indiscriminately, I was referring specifically to Podrick Payne. 

What I’m trying to do is understand what’s going on with her, since I’m not sure what her purpose is.

Pure revenge. Justified from her POV until they are no more Freys, Lannister men, Bolton or Karstarks.

4 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well yeah, because Podrick Payne was the squire for Tyrion Lannister. Not only was he his squire, but when questioned by the Brotherhood, he waved the fact around proudly. As far as Catelyn/Lady Stoneheart is concerned Tyrion Lannister was part of the plot to force Sansa to marry him, and probably raped her every night. Then a boy proudly claiming to be the squire of the man who did these terrible things to your daughter shows up in front of her. 

As far as who the people on her list are:

- House Lannister 

- House Frey

- Anyone in service to House Lannister & House Frey

3 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

As far as who the people on her list are:

- House Lannister 

- House Frey

- Anyone in service to House Lannister & House Frey

Agree. I would add one more though ---- House Bolton and anyone in service to House Bolton. Granted LSH can't get Bolton at this point in the story ---- she knows who actually skewered Robb.

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

All I can come up with is revenge. She will seek vengeance until someone kills her again or saves her humanity. Only martin knows what purpose LSH serves. :dunno:

My long winded version is in the reveal tag.

Spoiler

The books are violent. Who does LSH want dead? I would venture to say anyone who she believes caused harm to her family.

Going into the events of the red wedding Cat's husband has been beheaded & deemed a traitor. Cat  believes Bran & Rickon to be dead by Theon's order. Arya is missing & presummed dead. Sansa have been married off to Tyrion.

At the wedding when the carnage breaks out she is distraught that her son, Robb is gonna die. She witnesses her son, Robb, gutted.

A Storm of Swords - Catelyn VII      Boom, the drum sounded, boom doom boom doom. The old man's lips went in and out. The knife trembled in Catelyn's hand, slippery with sweat. "A son for a son, heh," he repeated. "But that's a grandson . . . and he never was much use."      A man in dark armor and a pale pink cloak spotted with blood stepped up to Robb. "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." He thrust his longsword through her son's heart, and twisted.      Robb had broken his word, but Catelyn kept hers. She tugged hard on Aegon's hair and sawed at his neck until the blade grated on bone. Blood ran hot over her fingers. His little bells were ringing, ringing, ringing, and the drum went boom doom boom. /

That ^ is the scene as she experiences her sons death.

As to the death of Cat it is described shortly after in that verra same chapter. It appears to me she lost her mind, went bonkers.

A Storm of Swords - Catelyn VII      Finally someone took the knife away from her. The tears burned like vinegar as they ran down her cheeks. Ten fierce ravens were raking her face with sharp talons and tearing off strips of flesh, leaving deep furrows that ran red with blood. She could taste it on her lips.      It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb . . . Robb . . . please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting . . . The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved. Catelyn Stark raised her hands and watched the blood run down her long fingers, over her wrists, beneath the sleeves of her gown. Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed. "Mad," someone said, "she's lost her wits," and someone else said, "Make an end," and a hand grabbed her scalp just as she'd done with Jinglebell, and she thought, No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold./

As I read it appears Cat died at the Twins. Then Arya has one of her wolf/warg dreams where Nymeria finds the dead Cat. Arya later tells Sandor her mother is dead.

Storm of Swords - Arya XII     Only the scent mattered. She sniffed the air again. There it was, and now she saw it too, something pale and white drifting down the river, turning where it brushed against a snag. The reeds bowed down before it.     She splashed noisily through the shallows and threw herself into the deeper water, her legs churning. The current was strong but she was stronger. She swam, following her nose. The river smells were rich and wet, but those were not the smells that pulled her. She paddled after the sharp red whisper of cold blood, the sweet cloying stench of death. She chased them as she had often chased a red deer through the trees, and in the end she ran them down, and her jaw closed around a pale white arm. She shook it to make it move, but there was only death and blood in her mouth. By now she was tiring, and it was all she could do to pull the body back to shore. As she dragged it up the muddy bank, one of her little brothers came prowling, his tongue lolling from his mouth. She had to snarl to drive him off, or else he would have fed. Only then did she stop to shake the water from her fur. The white thing lay facedown in the mud, her dead flesh wrinkled and pale, cold blood trickling from her throat. Rise, she thought. Rise and eat and run with us./

Then Cat/LSH shows up in the epilogue of SoS. As I said earlier. These are violent books. Who is on LSH's list? Lannisters, Freys, Bolton's and anyone else she believes participated in the destruction of her family.  Why martin brought Cat back from death as a vengeful spirit only he knows.

It's a bit unclear, but I don't think LSH is just a pure vengeance machine- for example, the BWB has set up a de facto orphanage at the Crossroads Inn and I seem to recall that we get info that the BWB is seeking info on Arya and Sansa's whereabouts.  Not to mention that Catelyn clearly recognizes and has possession of Robb's crown.

I do think obviously she is extreme and being willing to murder Podrick is troublesome but not remotely unjustified.  

As for what I could see her doing in the future, a Red Wedding 2.0 situation is certainly a possibility.  You have Daven Lannister and a Frey bride possibly getting married at Riverrun with Tom O Sevens there and Emmon Frey who makes it clear that "no man will ever take Riverrun" from him.  Well, LSH isn't a man.  

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Agree. I would add one more though ---- House Bolton and anyone in service to House Bolton. Granted LSH can't get Bolton at this point in the story ---- she knows who actually skewered Robb.

You are absolutely right, I have no idea how I forgot about them. I think I was just going by people currently in the Riverlands. Even with them on her list I think either Stannis or Jon are going to be the ones to take out House Bolton, and then Stoneheart will take out a bunch of House Frey and some of House Lannister at The Red Wedding 2.0. 

Only guilty, not whole Houses.

Brotherhood always ask her about whether captured should be hung or not, and while is true that she almost hung Pod, i believe that she only wanted to blackmail Brienne.

Also would people that set orphanage at Crossroad Inn, kill children because of their fathers's crime?

8 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

You need to prove that almost hanging Pod was part of JCE to kill every boy in Westeros.

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Podrick is a Lannister squire and thus an enemy combatant. Besides she offered to spare him as long Brienne kept to her vows.

If Podrick had kept his mouth shut, he probably would have been left at the inn.

11 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

It's a bit unclear, but I don't think LSH is just a pure vengeance machine- for example, the BWB has set up a de facto orphanage at the Crossroads Inn and I seem to recall that we get info that the BWB is seeking info on Arya and Sansa's whereabouts.  Not to mention that Catelyn clearly recognizes and has possession of Robb's crown.

I do think obviously she is extreme and being willing to murder Podrick is troublesome but not remotely unjustified.  

As for what I could see her doing in the future, a Red Wedding 2.0 situation is certainly a possibility.  You have Daven Lannister and a Frey bride possibly getting married at Riverrun with Tom O Sevens there and Emmon Frey who makes it clear that "no man will ever take Riverrun" from him.  Well, LSH isn't a man.  

She is looking for Arya. She has definite information that she has been in the Riverlands, while Sansa's whereabouts are entirely unknown. This is the reason Gendry is at the inn. He can identify Arya.

I don't think it is due to motherly concern alone. She is looking to crown her. Fire wights don't lose their minds, they gain single-mindedness. Lady Stoneheart continues the fight. Cat while alive had shown a definite capacity for throwing the rules out the window and for ruthlessness, in order to achieve what she wanted. She is in that mode all the time now.

It is not just vengeance, she is also killing raiders, broken men and the more standard variety of outlaws. The corpes Brienne and co encountered were men who raided Saltpans. She is acting like an authority.

Archived