U. S Politics: I know why the caged babe screams.

LongRider

Another story from CNN just popped up on Facebook. The White House issued a press release today about hiring a new Deputy Director of Communications. And who was hired, you ask? Bill Shine, formerly at Fox and responsible for covering up the sexual harassment complaints about Roger Ailes. Hired, it's rumoured, on the recommendation of Sean Hannity.

Only the best.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/politics/bill-shine-white-house-announcement/index.html?utm_content=2018-07-05T18%3A00%3A05&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Apparently it's closer to two-thirds, but yeah.  Ultimately, as a government agency ICE's jurisdiction is wherever the federal government says it is, but totally agree their expanded powers should be challenged in court if they're used in, like, Ithaca.  Would highlight the ridiculousness of it.

The citation was irrelevant because it was presented as evidence all races call the cops on all races when the analysis and data collection had nothing to do with the latter.  I wasn't criticizing the report - those BJS guys get an A+! - but rather its use by Altherion to support a point the report had nothing to do with.  The report, if you take five seconds to read the intro, is obviously about public reaction to having called the cops.  It's basically a customer satisfaction survey, and in that way it does its job fine.  I don't see any reason to "question" the report's sample or scrutinize its "limitations," sounds like you're the one who wants to play the role of argument instructor.

Um, yeah, it's all self-reporting.  That's not a "well-known" problem in the social sciences, it's how we collect survey data.  The problem you're probably referring to is reporting error, like adjusting for the durable tendency for over-reporting when you ask people if they voted.

Man it really seems you got a stick up your ass because I made fun of your writing.  Again, of course the report itself is not problematic.  Don't tell me what my job is, it's a fucking message board.  And I did discredit the original argument by pointing out his purported evidence that was supposed to support his point in fact didn't support his point at all - that's not an ad hominen attack, it's the opposite.  Learn your Latin.

Thanks for summarizing my points.

I will say, you seem upset, and I only point out that your refutation of the source is flawed. I do not think you will be able to see beyond your own biases, so I suppose this is not useful.

29 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Another story from CNN just popped up on Facebook. The White House issued a press release today about hiring a new Deputy Director of Communications. And who was hired, you ask? Bill Shine, formerly at Fox and responsible for covering up the sexual harassment complaints about Roger Ailes. Hired, it's rumoured, on the recommendation of Sean Hannity.

Only the best.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/politics/bill-shine-white-house-announcement/index.html?utm_content=2018-07-05T18%3A00%3A05&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN

Seems perfect for Trump. Ties the administration even closer to FNC. 

15 hours ago, Altherion said:

"Giving away" is not quite the right terminology here; the unpaid labor is an unwritten condition of employment and people who refuse to play along most likely won't keep the job for long.

As a general rule, random people calling the police, the police arriving, determining that there is nothing of consequence at the scene and departing without incident is not even reported in the local news, let along national-scale media. In fact, it is quite common (PDF):

Simply from the fact that there were 20 million such calls, I guarantee you that you can find all combinations of races (the PDF provides a breakdown of the callers among various demographic parameters, including race) and it is also practically guaranteed that some of the calls are downright silly. Whoever put together the campaign you see in the media cherry-picked a few incidents of white people calling the police to report on black people for the most absurd reasons found in the entire data set and made a narrative out of them. I suppose it works well when applied to the naive, the gullible and those already convinced that the criminal justice system is racist, but given the sheer number of calls, one can cherry-pick almost anything out of the data (but of course, getting it in the national media is another story...).

So, the issue I see with the linked source that has been explored by researchers is an issue of the experiences of the majority of Americans not aligning with people who are marginalized by race, social class, and mental health. One study was designed around the idea that the sample size had to be drawn by emphasizing marginalized groups over a general population sample. This focused research would show the perceptions of people who are affected negatively by the police without the statistical significance being washed out by the majority of white Americans who have different views. When just changing this demographic for the sample, we see people of color are far less likely to trust the police or record good experiences with them. So, while I think it's true, random people calling the police does not often result in much of anything, this is precisely the issue. White Americans who do not live in poverty typically report no issues with police, and this disconnect between races does allow us to say a problem for people of color and people with mental disabilities are negatively impacted by their encounters with the police.

Then we take it one step more and ask, "Why is it marginalized groups report bad experiences?" If we are to accept the results of the first linked PDF, then the results of this study should be accepted too. Some people in America experience little trouble with the police, and some people experience great trouble, and these differences can be traced along lines of race and mental health, sadly.

Well, that is settled then, there is no more corruption in the Trump administration. Be assured, the new guy will not be looking for fancy used hotel beds as he lets corps dump waste in your yard and fulfills our God given right to pump moar carbon into the air.

5 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Well, that is settled then, there is no more corruption in the Trump administration. Be assured, the new guy will not be looking for fancy used hotel beds as he lets corps dump waste in your yard and fulfills our God given right to pump moar carbon into the air.

Nope. He's just a coal lobbyist. I'm sure he's totally going to look out for the environment.

Well the deputy andy is a dirty coal crook so he’ll probably be much more effective at giving us all dirty air and dirty water and hot temperatures simply because the mainstream media will be helping him out every step of the way by pretending he doesn’t exist or subjecting all his crimes to diseased both-sides coverage

17 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think there are still a lot of moderate to low margin businesses that are still reasonably labour intensive that would struggle, or possibly go bankrupt, if they had to pay a 40hr week equivalent for people working 30hrs a week.

I think it is completely unrealistic to expect people to keep their present incomes if you go down to 30 hours per week. Barring other kinds of reforms, that means you would need to maintain present levels of production of goods and services while the entire work force spends 25% less time working, which I really have a hard time seeing. 

What you could realistically have is a trade off where people work 25% less, and also earn say 20-30% less (there is probably not a 1-1 relationship between hours worked and value produced), which considering USA's very high average incomes would still be liveable for most people. So it depends on if you think more free time is worth having a bit less money or not, really. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44732754

Plans to fly a giant inflatable figure depicting Donald Trump as a baby over London during the US president's visit have been approved.

Mr Trump is due to meet Theresa May at 10 Downing Street on 13 July.

Campaigners raised almost £18,000 for the helium-filled six-metre high figure, which they said reflects Mr Trump's character as an "angry baby with a fragile ego and tiny hands".

London Mayor Sadiq Khan gave permission for the balloon to fly.

The White House has been approached for comment.

On Twitter former UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the plan was "the biggest insult to a sitting US President ever".

29 minutes ago, Khaleesi did nothing wrong said:

I think it is completely unrealistic to expect people to keep their present incomes if you go down to 30 hours per week. Barring other kinds of reforms, that means you would need to maintain present levels of production of goods and services while the entire work force spends 25% less time working, which I really have a hard time seeing. 

What you could realistically have is a trade off where people work 25% less, and also earn say 20-30% less (there is probably not a 1-1 relationship between hours worked and value produced), which considering USA's very high average incomes would still be liveable for most people. So it depends on if you think more free time is worth having a bit less money or not, really. 

Considering the obscene profits some companies make it certainly would be possible to pay the employees of those companies their current wage/salary and have them work 30hrs. The company would probably have to employ more people for the same output, but this is a good thing if the coming employment crunch because of AI automation is true. It's not like there aren't pots of money floating around at the top of the socioeconomic pile that couldn't be poured down to workers. But as I said, some businesses currently operate on too low margins to cope. But even then, for larger low margin companies if the executives took a haircut off their million $ + bonuses packages that redistribution of the payroll could cover much of that 25%.

I saw one of the most revolting pictures of Donald Trump ever today, and it was actually an official WH picture released for the 4th of July.

It’s a picture of the poor, innocent American flag hanging from a pole with Trump standing there with arms around the flag and pole, hugging them. The look on his face is indescribable, but the closest I can come is he looks like the flag is a stripper pole dancing and he knows he has her in his power.

That was being civil. Very civil.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

The issue is that no one truly wants to abolish ICE, they want to reform it. The criminal investigation element of ICE is actually necessary as they're the ones that investigates immigrant gangs, cross border drug rings, money laundering, human rights violations, cyberfraud, etc

ICE is only 15 years old; any of its functions which are actually necessary can revert back to the agencies which previously handled them. The immigration status of the perpetrators shouldn't be relevant to investigating crimes.

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Thanks for summarizing my points.

I will say, you seem upset, and I only point out that your refutation of the source is flawed. I do not think you will be able to see beyond your own biases, so I suppose this is not useful.

LOL, no, not upset.  If anything, amused that you still think I have a problem with the source after I just said (twice) that I don't.  But I'll work on seeing "beyond my own biases."  Maybe one day I too can be a brick wall that can't distinguish between criticizing a source and criticizing the use of a source.

2 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Reports coming in - Pruitt is out.

Wait, what?  Wasn't he integral in Trump's master evil plan to replace Sessions and mollify the Mueller investigation?  Even though Pruitt reportedly lobbied for just that, seems as if even Trump thought the idea was stupid.  That's really saying something.

8 minutes ago, كالدب said:

Just curious - Pruitt resigning doesn't mean he can't be AG, right? It'd be weird, but it isn't like he'd have to get another confirmation, right?

Yes, he'd have to get another confirmation.  The 98 Vacancies Act provided that you could appoint a confirmed officer from another agency as a temporary replacement.  Once Pruitt leaves office, sure Trump could nominate him as AG, but even the broadest interpretations of the Act wouldn't allow him to serve in an acting capacity.

1 hour ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

I saw one of the most revolting pictures of Donald Trump ever today, and it was actually an official WH picture released for the 4th of July.

It’s a picture of the poor, innocent American flag hanging from a pole with Trump standing there with arms around the flag and pole, hugging them. The look on his face is indescribable, but the closest I can come is he looks like the flag is a stripper pole dancing and he knows he has her in his power.

That was being civil. Very civil.

The thing is, you watch it live, and I honestly think that was him trying to go for...wholesome? 

Archived