U. S Politics: I know why the caged babe screams.

LongRider

7 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on regressive judicial interpretation. But I do know these dudes hate womens and with a lifetime appointment such 'moderate' positions can be left aside.

Oh, I'm not saying he's a moderate. Just that he's really no different than Kennedy. I don't like that a Trump nomination could be on the bench for the next four decades, but I don't like that a sexual predator has been on the bench for most of my life. Aside from a few rulings that get some good press, we have had a very conservative court for decades now. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are nothing new.

If we don't like it, we need to vote. Vote all of these assholes that stole Obama's pick out in November, then vote in Democrats that run on a promise of term limits for Supreme Court justices. This is a fight that needs to happen at the polls.

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

I took a later look at five thirty eight's graph showing Kavanaugh was equal to Thomas in his vile extremism and felt ill. 

I wouldn't take much stock in those estimates.  Even Martin/Quinn scores, which only SCOTUS justices common space score based on their actual votes/decisions, aren't the greatest (and I don't just say this because one of my advisors has a decades long professional and personal feud with Andrew Martin).  The non-methodological reason is because while DW-NOMINATE is great for Congress and even POTUS, there's only two parties in Congress - it's a common space score that actually measures party unity, not technically "ideology" (although it's much easier to use as a proxy over the past 30 years due to ideological homogeneity within each party). 

OTOH, Martin/Quinn scores are using common space where there may be three or even more viewpoints on a given case.  Further, of course, Kavanaugh's (or any circuit justice) "score" isn't being measured on his votes/decisions - it's based on the nomination process.  That doesn't tell you anything about his 12-year record on the DC Circuit.

16 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

this is true, and I have to say (as obviously, just look up thread at my last post) that I completely fell for it again. 

You think I'd have learned at this point not to trust Vox when they're in full rimjob mode. There's few things that site likes better than proving how deep up the assholes of DC critters they can stick their tongues. but hey, everyone gets off different ways, apparently that's vox's

I took a later look at five thirty eight's graph showing Kavanaugh was equal to Thomas in his vile extremism and felt ill. 

Fucking vox and their complicit bullshit.

(remember when Vox was aiding and abetting the Trump campaign by working hard to bury and discredit the story that a Russian money laundering bank and Trump tower had a special server relationship with traffic that spiked relating to all campaign milestones, I was reminded of that today in the New Yorker story. fucktards).

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

You know what, it may be-- but that particular lilt in the press isn't unique to the US. Getting pretty sick of the stylings up North here as well.

They seriously have their tongues so far up Trump's asshole right now that it's hanging out of his mouth and firmly planted on his chin just resting until they can get it even further up there to the point of being at his crotch.

13 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Oh, I'm not saying he's a moderate. Just that he's really no different than Kennedy. I don't like that a Trump nomination could be on the bench for the next four decades, but I don't like that a sexual predator has been on the bench for most of my life. Aside from a few rulings that get some good press, we have had a very conservative court for decades now. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are nothing new.

If we don't like it, we need to vote. Vote all of these assholes that stole Obama's pick out in November, then vote in Democrats that run on a promise of term limits for Supreme Court justices. This is a fight that needs to happen at the polls.

This is such a simplistic view of what to do, especially with how gerrymandered red states are. 

And an even more conservative supreme court will just help it for decades more. 

We can thank Dems for a lot of what is happening thanks to them treating republicans as friends like they just have a different opinion on if coffee or tea is better when it's about the rights of people and ethics. 

2 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

This is such a simplistic view of what to do, especially with how gerrymandered red states are. 

Then move to Mississippi and run for school board.

That aside? Vote. Stop whining about a rigged system from your laptop (not "you" personally, the general 'you'), go out in November, and vote. And by vote, I mean vote for the only viable option for a check on Trump, which is anybody with a D next to their name.

Districts are very rarely won by more than 60%. That really isn't that much of the population that you have to flip, gerrymandering or no gerrymandering. If they can elect a Democrat in South Carolina, we can flip Texas in November.

11 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Then move to Mississippi and run for school board.

That aside? Vote. Stop whining about a rigged system from your laptop (not "you" personally, the general 'you'), go out in November, and vote. And by vote, I mean vote for the only viable option for a check on Trump, which is anybody with a D next to their name.

Districts are very rarely won by more than 60%. That really isn't that much of the population that you have to flip, gerrymandering or no gerrymandering. If they can elect a Democrat in South Carolina, we can flip Texas in November.

Loophole voter supression through ridiclous voter ID laws. Closing most voting stations to create long lines and disenfranchise voters. Arrest people that have drugs on them and trump the charges up to possesion with intent to distribute, create a felony and then the right to vote is taken away. 

21 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Loophole voter supression through ridiclous voter ID laws. Closing most voting stations to create long lines and disenfranchise voters. Arrest people that have drugs on them and trump the charges up to possesion with intent to distribute, create a felony and then the right to vote is taken away. 

All reasons why it important to get as many people out there as possible to overcome these obstacles.

Archived