Barristan Selmy vs. Jaime Lannister

In a situation where King Robert actually figured out the deal with his children being born of incest, how would this situation resolve? The lannisters would undergo some form of trial most likely. Say it's a trial by combat and Jaime defends his Cersei obviously, I'm assuming he'd come before the Mountain or the hound get their nod. King Robert would be advised to pick Ser Barristan but would he. Who wins between an old Barristan and a two-handed Jaime?

Or if King Robert decides to defend his own honor? is he too washed up at this point of his life????

Ah but what if Jaime isn't on the Kingsguard to defend Cersei? What if Robert decides that he can't have a traitor on the Kings Guard and removes him?  Certainly, Jaime can defend himself but he cannot defend Cersei.  Also wouldn't one feel that surely the King takes precedence, he gets first pick as it were, so then Selmy goes up against a lesser Knight?  And even in Jaime's trial what if it a Jaime who has been locked in a Black Cell for a couple of months? We have seen what that did to Ned, it could certainly take Jaime down a few pegs. Then the issue, IMHO is certainly in doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

Two handed Jaime most likely beats old Barristan and almost certainly beats fat Robert.For this reason I'd have to imagine him being killed without a trial or if he got atrial by combat, insurance be made by injuring him before his trial by combat because the people that have a chance in beating him in the entire country could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Barristan the Bold is probably one of the few people in Westeros who could give two-handed Jaime a good fight, but in the end I think the fact that Barristan is almost 30 years Jaime's senior would be his end. Jaime would just have more stamina and strength.

Fat Robert Baratheon beating anyone half-way decent at the beginning of A Game of Thrones is laughable.

In terms of a hypothetical duel, if it's the characters at the time of AGoT, then my money would be on Jaime.

But in terms of the hypothetical scenario of Cersei & Jaime standing accused in front of Robert of their incest, it probably wouldn't be Jaime v. Barristan, but still possible. When Princess Naerys Targaryen was accused of adultery, her accuser, Ser Morgil Hastwyck had to face the Dragonknight who defended her. So Jaime would fight the accuser or a champion for the accuser. The most likely accuser would have been Ned, so a trial by combat would have been Jaime v. Ned. (Jaime wins)

But Robert's word is law, as that's how the justice system works in Westeros, so if Ned simply provided enough evidence, Robert would have likely declared them traitors and had them executed. Jaime could have asked for a trial by combat. Robert could easily ignore that and order his execution. Unless Jaime is clever enough to taunt Robert, and provoke a Jaime v. Robert (Jaime wins again). But maybe Ned would convince Robert to appoint a champion, in which case it could very well lead to Jaime v. Barristan.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:55 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Two handed Jaime, obviously. If it was a young Selmy however it would be a different matter.

Obvious? We don't see much fighting from Jaime before he loses his hand. We see zero from Barriston.

" Have no fear, sers, your king is safe... no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese."

I believe him. I also believe that if he's that confident about a five on one fight, he stands a good chance against anyone mano y mano.

Don't underestimate experience. You can search youtube for videos of old men knocking out young men all day long.

My money is on the old and the bold

11 minutes ago, dmfn said:

Obvious? We don't see much fighting from Jaime before he loses his hand. We see zero from Barriston.

" Have no fear, sers, your king is safe... no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese."

I believe him. I also believe that if he's that confident about a five on one fight, he stands a good chance against anyone mano y mano.

Don't underestimate experience. You can search youtube for videos of old men knocking out young men all day long.

My money is on the old and the bold

Jaime at his best was one of the greatest swordsmen in the history of Westeros, according to a direct quote from George himself. At the same time, peak Barristan was at the same level as Arthur Dayne without Dawn, again, according to a direct quote from George.

So it is clear that these three men in their prime were very closely matched in skill. However, Barristan is now close to 60 years old. That he is still very formiddable despite his age is testament to just how good he was in his youth. But he is obviously not at his prime level anymore. Whereas two handed Jaime is.

So in short - both of them in their prime - I would give it to Barristan by a hair. Old Barristan vs prime Jaime - clearly Jaime would win.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Rather than asking this impossible hypothetical question, why not ask whether the plot suggests an eventual reckoning between Barristan and Selmy? 

My money there would be on Barristan Selmy.

The hypothetical is pretty unlikely in my opinion. If Cersei/Jaime demanded a trial-by-combat Robert would have faced Jaime, not some Kingsguard. There is no question about that. 

And that's only if there would have been a trial-by-combat. If Robert had believed Ned's story he might have killed them all, no questions asked. Although I find that less likely than Jaime goading Robert into facing him himself.

Archived