What is the Bastard of Driftmarks plans?

Stormking902

I have always enjoyed reading about house Valaryon and its rich history especially the Sea Snake and all of his great accomplishments, I also am rooting for the bastard of Driftmark because he seems like an interesting character and he played Cersie so easily it was lovely. 

I believe that he is the pirate who has set up shop on the stepstones with Cersie new royal fleet of war drummonds, whats his next move? Does he simply wish to rule the Stepstones, does he wish to have his nephew murdered and receive Driftmark?, is he still a Stannis loyalist at heart?  

Unrelated but something I found pretty cool reading about Monford Valaryon is that during the burning of the Sept at Dragonstone lord Monford watched Stannis the entire time the Sept burned and not actually watch the conflagration, what was he thinking ? I dunno random but just something I found interesting. 

45 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

I believe that he is the pirate who has set up shop on the stepstones with Cersie new royal fleet of war drummonds, whats his next move? Does he simply wish to rule the Stepstones, does he wish to have his nephew murdered and receive Driftmark?, is he still a Stannis loyalist at heart?  

I don't think he wants what belongs to his nephew. He could have asked for it, in that whoever is in charge at Driftmark is still supporting Stannis. He could have asked to have his brother's seat and he didn't. 

Aurane seems to fall in the same mold as the Bastard of Nightsong or even Jon himself for that matter. Plus Cersei seemed to think that Aurane wanted Dragonstone as his seat. So who knows. I think him taking the title the "lord of waters" as opposed to the "lord of tides" is telling as to his character when it comes to his family. He was at the Battle of Blackwater, he followed his brother.

As far as other things, I posted in another thread that Aurane is in possession of interesting information because he is in the Stepstones.

He knows that Salladhor Saan has left Stannis's service, since we find out that Salla is in the Stepstones.

Some of the ships carrying the Golden Company ended up at the Stepstones after they were blown off course by a storm. 

Victarion's fleet stopped at the Stepstones to take fresh water on their way to Slaver's Bay.

He already had the information about the dragons while he was sitting on the small council, and that information could have only been confirmed. I think everything he knows and his ships make him a bit of a wildcard. I'm really interested to see where he will land.

And since he is now a pirate, there's a good chance he has more ships than the ones he stole from Cersei.

54 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Unrelated but something I found pretty cool reading about Monford Valaryon is that during the burning of the Sept at Dragonstone lord Monford watched Stannis the entire time the Sept burned and not actually watch the conflagration, what was he thinking ? I dunno random but just something I found interesting. 

Maybe he was wondering WTF he was doing there. Not for nothing, but there's a pretty good chance Monford knew the Targaryens well if his father was Lucerys. Maybe he was thinking that this was not Stannis's place and that he did not belong there? And the Seven that Melisandre burned are rather significant in that they were carved from the masts of the ships that brought the Targaryens to Dragonstone after the left Valyria. 

Can't quite remember but some character spotted dromond wrecks near stepstones. It was either Victarion or Arianne.

If it is Victarion then it probably means Aurane engaged golden company since they are the only ones that were around there other than Ironborn and Salla. If that's the case, he could still be a king's man.

17 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I don't think he wants what belongs to his nephew. He could have asked for it, in that whoever is in charge at Driftmark is still supporting Stannis. He could have asked to have his brother's seat and he didn't. 

Aurane seems to fall in the same mold as the Bastard of Nightsong or even Jon himself for that matter. Plus Cersei seemed to think that Aurane wanted Dragonstone as his seat. So who knows. I think him taking the title the "lord of waters" as opposed to the "lord of tides" is telling as to his character when it comes to his family. He was at the Battle of Blackwater, he followed his brother.

As far as other things, I posted in another thread that Aurane is in possession of interesting information because he is in the Stepstones.

He knows that Salladhor Saan has left Stannis's service, since we find out that Salla is in the Stepstones.

Some of the ships carrying the Golden Company ended up at the Stepstones after they were blown off course by a storm. 

Victarion's fleet stopped at the Stepstones to take fresh water on their way to Slaver's Bay.

He already had the information about the dragons while he was sitting on the small council, and that information could have only been confirmed. I think everything he knows and his ships make him a bit of a wildcard. I'm really interested to see where he will land.

And since he is now a pirate, there's a good chance he has more ships than the ones he stole from Cersei.

Maybe he was wondering WTF he was doing there. Not for nothing, but there's a pretty good chance Monford knew the Targaryens well if his father was Lucerys. Maybe he was thinking that this was not Stannis's place and that he did not belong there? And the Seven that Melisandre burned are rather significant in that they were carved from the masts of the ships that brought the Targaryens to Dragonstone after the left Valyria. 

Your thoughts about Monford are probably close to dead on lol :p, my thoughts are he was thinking about abandoning Stannis and how he was going to do it. Stannis isnt his rightful lord a Targaryan should be and he probably still feels like this especially after Stannis burned the Sept. 

If the Last Storm foreshadows Jon Connington defeating Mace Tyrell between Storm’s End and Bronzegate, and that Randyll Tarly and his heir, Dickon, will be killed, then I suspect that the Lord of the Waters will join the fight for Aegon as well, or maybe the Lord of the Waters and Dorne will join Aegon in the aftermath of the battle. 

8 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Thing to remember, though, Patchface predicted that House Velaryon’s seahorses would be ridden by Stannis and his men, so who knows

This is the only reason I partly believe Aurane is still loyal to Stannis, why? I have no idea but patchface seems to know a LOT. 

On 7/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, Canon Claude said:

Thing to remember, though, Patchface predicted that House Velaryon’s seahorses would be ridden by Stannis and his men, so who knows

Wow, I never thought about it before but that would be interesting if true.

He's working with Salla - both of whom are in the pocket of the Spider. He might even have some Saan blood.

While my evidence for such a scenario may be rather lacking, the fact that both headed to the Stepstones around the same time (each with a stolen Royal Fleet, no less) has always seemed like a red flag to me.

1 hour ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

While my evidence for such a scenario may be rather lacking, the fact that both headed to the Stepstones around the same time (each with a stolen Royal Fleet, no less) has always seemed like a red flag to me.

Salla didn't steal anything from Stannis. The ships he left with were his. 

On 7/7/2018 at 2:30 AM, Canon Claude said:

I never made the connection between the seahorse in Patchface's ramblings and Stannis.

One of the ships that belonged to House Velaryon was named Seahorse. And while we know what happened to Pride of Driftmark, Harridan and Bold Laughter, Seahorse is unaccounted for. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 6:31 AM, Leo of House Cartel said:

He's working with Salla - both of whom are in the pocket of the Spider. He might even have some Saan blood.

The Saan's have been Blackfyre supporters & the Velaryon's the oldest & truest Targaryen supporters so I don't think so, not with Dany alive. 

I'd kind of like to see the Ironborn invade Slaver's Bay just to have Aurane's fleet come in behind them and destroy their whole fleet on the way to offering Dany her first real fleet. That makes Salla the pirate @Torturers Deep though and I feel like his 14 or less ships just aren't enough to maintain a grip on then indefinitely. 

Archived