2018 Quarter-finals

Having to win on penalties gives you a disadvantage if you go to penalties again, because the opposing team sees all your team's preferences in a high pressure situation like that and you can learn a lot from that kind of study. 

Sweden are the only team still in the tournament, who I haven't seen play in the tournament. So I'm looking forward to that match for that reason alone.

4 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

I think it depends what we mean by 'organising a defence', to some extent. International management plays to Martinez's strengths, in many ways. He doesn't have to teach his defenders to defend, because he can't: he hasn't time for that. His role is limited to giving them instructions - here's when you should press, you mark this player at set-pieces, play out from the back - and motivating them. 

I am also not sure if Martinez can learn them more than they already know (on technique)... They play with Tottenham, Manchester City and Barcalona :dunno:

If I hear Martinez speak on the press, he really puts empathize on the fact the players need to believe they are actually able to defeat big countries like Brazil, ... because Belgian people are kind of conditionalized to think they will never win such game, solely on the fact Belgium would never win big things (except cycling of course :D).  

Lot of chat about the defence but I maintain that the glorious inevitability of Belgian dominance depends largely on where Martinez plays De Bruyne. I mean, the defence was always going to be a problem no matter who the manager is- they've got no real fullbacks. But boy can they attack. But the most creative player in Europe is sat in a deep role.

But Martinez has been defending him playing that position so I'm not optimistic that things will change before the 60th minute.

I'd like to see Belgium sit a bit deeper against Brazil and play on the counter. Belgium team looks built for devastating counter-attacking. Mexico created some good opportunities on the counter against Brazil but the decision making and quality of delivery was sorely lacking - this shouldn't be such a problem for Belgium. 

37 minutes ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

Lot of chat about the defence but I maintain that the glorious inevitability of Belgian dominance depends largely on where Martinez plays De Bruyne. I mean, the defence was always going to be a problem no matter who the manager is- they've got no real fullbacks. But boy can they attack. But the most creative player in Europe is sat in a deep role.

But Martinez has been defending him playing that position so I'm not optimistic that things will change before the 60th minute.

I don't think there's an easy answer: sure, you can play him further forward in a three with Hazard and Lukaku, or in the hole behind those two, but then things are going to be very central with little width in attack. You'll still need to have wing-backs pushing up high, or full-backs depending on your formation, and that's a very attacking approach even for Martinez.

KDB has been playing deeper for City but with freedom to go forward (Pep's "free eight" position) thanks to the fluidity of Pep's system, particularly in the deployment of the fullbacks who will provide extra central cover if space has been left there. Usually Silva is the one who gets forward more often though because his forward movement is cleverer. If three centre-halves are deployed by Belgium then theoretically there is less need for KDB to play so deep alongside Witsel, but then KDB's ability to spot and deliver a key pass from deep is unparalleled. Speaking of Witsel, I haven't quite grasped whether there are valid reasons why Nainggolan was omitted!? He seems to me a considerably more useful player than Witsel.

7 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

KDB has been playing deeper for City but with freedom to go forward (Pep's "free eight" position) thanks to the fluidity of Pep's system, particularly in the deployment of the fullbacks who will provide extra central cover if space has been left there. Usually Silva is the one who gets forward more often though because his forward movement is cleverer. If three centre-halves are deployed by Belgium then theoretically there is less need for KDB to play so deep alongside Witsel, but then KDB's ability to spot and deliver a key pass from deep is unparalleled.

This is the thing, I don't think it is unparalleled. Tielemans obviously isn't as proven but he is a sensational passer. Whereas Dembele isn't a great passer in his own right but is one of the least tacklable players in the world and knows how to keep the ball safe till it's at the feet of one of the true creatives highr up the pitch. But, what is even more an issue, is that in City's system KDB can play move about so he can provide those passes from deep and  those passes in the final third, whereas in this system, he barely gets to the final third at all. He's also not really got any defensive side, leaving Witsel to do all the work in that aspect on his own.

On the Witsel question: Naingollan got left because Martinez considers him unprofessional and disruptive- and he's not the only one so there might be truth to that- but I don't think he's really a Witsel replacement anyway. He's a tackler but muuuch more forward-thinking, a true box-to-boxer with the emphasis on the attack. Witsel probably is the only real actual defensive midfielder Belgium have, but as I say I still think they'd be more secure with Dembele and Tielemans in those roles than KDB and Witsel.

8 hours ago, كالدب said:

I love that England, Sweden, Croatia or Russia are guaranteed to be in the final. 

I don't love this, because it could easily result in a rather one-sided final. But I won't get to see the final anyway. 

6 hours ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

This is the thing, I don't think it is unparalleled. Tielemans obviously isn't as proven but he is a sensational passer. Whereas Dembele isn't a great passer in his own right but is one of the least tacklable players in the world and knows how to keep the ball safe till it's at the feet of one of the true creatives highr up the pitch. But, what is even more an issue, is that in City's system KDB can play move about so he can provide those passes from deep and  those passes in the final third, whereas in this system, he barely gets to the final third at all. He's also not really got any defensive side, leaving Witsel to do all the work in that aspect on his own.

I agree about Dembele. That ability to keep possession would come in handy. I haven't seen enough of Tielemens to judge.

But while it's true that KDB is very much an attacking footballer and doesn't read the game in a defensive player's way, his sheer work rate and determination means he will always close and chase people down. But then that ability can be very useful higher up the pitch too, maybe even more so playing a team like Brazil.

I'm really looking forward to this game!

Mbappe had the best chance so far. He didn't realise just how much space he was in and went for the header when he had the time to take the ball down and have a shot.

ETA. Nice header by Varane. This should make things interesting with Uruguay having to come out more. France have looked a bit shaky at the back.

Archived