2018 Quarter-finals

Bizarre how late Martinez left his subs. The counter attacking threat has largely gone now as their players can't make those runs anymore. Brazil can then commit much more and have somehow managed to catch the Belgians high up the pitch a few times since their goal.

1 minute ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

Hazard's really worked his (not inconsiderable) arse off today, with some great defensive attacking play in the last fifteen minutes, on top of a terrific first half too. 

He did so good towards the end drawing fouls and keeping possession. Coutinho and Augusto both probably should have buried their chances. Good game

Brazil gave it a good go in the 2nd half and both Coutinho and Augusto missed great chances to bring them level. Martinez got his tactics right and all the Belgium players did their jobs and remained tactically disciplined. Since I questioned the Fellaini selection, I have to say he did have a good game - made a ton of important blocks. Hazard was great in the last 10-15 minutes - holding up the ball and drawing fouls.

Meunier suspended for the semi is a problem for Belgium as he is the only recognised fullback in the squad. Will probably have to use Chadli and Carrasco as wing-backs which is not ideal especially since they both prefer the left wing in addition to not being defensively inclined. 

The English were pissed that Courtois made some comments about Pickford being small ... being big has his benefits. 

Anyway, huge moment for Belgian football history. It has been from '86 we were in the semi's and we became fourth. 

14 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Bit of an exaggeration 

Hey, it's The Internet and, more specifically, a GoT forum. Describing Vertongen's accidental eye-jab on Neymar as "clawing" was an understatement if anything.

Meanwhile, great result for everyone else - the more dangerous side is out and, as much as I'd love to see a fresh face like Belgium lift the trophy, it's tough to imagine their luck continuing to hold like it has for the last 180 minutes of their tornament.

Pretty disappointing to see an all-Europe semifinal.  But nonetheless I'm happy to see Belgium advance.  I'm hoping we see a Belgium vs Croatia final, so we at least get some new blood. 

Before Belgium's goals and after their goal Brazil looked very dangerous, but for all the praise of their second half performance, I don't think they did enough until Augusto came on. Jesus should've had a penalty, which is admittedly a pretty big caveat, other than that they looked they were about to create a good chance without ever doing so, despite the Belgian fragility.

I don't watch Premier League that much, so I have to ask: is Hazard always a ball-hog?

I noticed more than one counterattack break down when Hazard makes a brilliant dribble to beat a Brazilian midfielder, but holds on to the ball while Lukaku or de Bruyne streak into space, and eventually dispossessed or surrounded by defenders.

Lukaku's had a hell of a game. Could have scored had Martinez brought some fresh legs earlier in this 2nd half.

Nevertheless, great tactical display by Martinez. KDB & Hazard especially were in their perfect roles.

This french-speaking semi-final is going to be fine. With superb players in both side, I'll probably be glad whoever get in to the final. Le football rentre à la maison.

PS: noticed how many people state that this WC last square looks like a European Cup. Either you assume that Russia is in Europe, or you assume that they won't make it to the semi ? >_>

9 minutes ago, Muhammad Salah-din said:

I don't watch Premier League that much, so I have to ask: is Hazard always a ball-hog?

I noticed more than one counterattack break down when Hazard makes a brilliant dribble to beat a Brazilian midfielder, but holds on to the ball while Lukaku or de Bruyne streak into space, and eventually dispossessed or surrounded by defenders.

He's usually better in the EPL but Fagner did a fine job of blunting him today. It wasn't until the last few minutes Hazard was really in the game at all.

3 minutes ago, Warm-hands said:

Lukaku's had a hell of a game. Could have scored had Martinez brought some fresh legs earlier in this 2nd half.

Nevertheless, great tactical display by Martinez. KDB & Hazard especially were in their perfect roles.

This french-speaking semi-final is going to be fine. With superb players in both side, I'll probably be glad whoever get in to the final. Le football rentre à la maison.

PS: noticed how many people state that this WC last square looks like a European Cup. Either you assume that Russia is in Europe, or you assume that they won't make it to the semi ? >_>

I guess it has something to do with the fact that Russia has played in every European Championship since forever and their clubs play in the European Champions League.

Archived