July '18 Reading - What We Read in the Shadows

ithanos

Finished up Caine's Law yesterday and I think it was my favorite of the Acts of Caine.  I really enjoyed the time jumping and while I was prepared to be confused, I never really was.  I thought it was put together beautifully and came together amazingly well at the end.  I really wish there were more and will probably do a re-read of the series in the future.

Since I liked Acts of Caine so much, I picked up Revenge of the Sith and started that today, and have also picked up Shatterpoint which I'll read after.  Haven't read a Star Wars novel in a long time, and so far the elevated writing of Stover has really brought that love into adulthood in a satisfying way.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Finished up Caine's Law yesterday and I think it was my favorite of the Acts of Caine.  I really enjoyed the time jumping and while I was prepared to be confused, I never really was.  I thought it was put together beautifully and came together amazingly well at the end.  I really wish there were more and will probably do a re-read of the series in the future.

Nice.I just started my first reread of Heroes Die today.Still awesome!

Wanted something somewhere alternate history and been fascinated with Turtledove's War Between The Provinces series, so I grabbed up Marching Through Peachtree... somehow not realizing it was book two. Reading it anyway, and it's a little trippy trying to catch up to who is who and how it mirrors actual history...

On 7/30/2018 at 2:54 AM, Paxter said:

Snow Crash is fantastic - will be interested to see what you think. Amazon is set to turn it into a TV show, so I may do a re-read at some stage.

This could become an interesting TV adaptation. The book is very good, it must have been incredible (and incredibly prophetic in hindsight) when it came out in the early 1990s. But it holds up very well (I only read it about 2 years ago).

I finished two books in the last few days to round out the month of July.  First was rereading Balance of Power by Jeff Rovin, which is the fifth book of the Op-Center series, and while it's not the greatest action-thriller it is the best installment of the series (but given some of the poor books before it that's not saying much).

Yesterday I finished Abraham's Other Son: Islam Among Judaism & Christianity by Philip Samaan.  It's a very informative book, but unfortunately the structure of the book makes it seem likes it's three different books that were pieced together.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

I polished off THE NIGHT CIRCUS  by Erin Morgenstern and I thought it was throughly charming and enjoyed the read. 

This has been on my 'to-read' list for a loooooong time. Might have just advanced a couple of rungs on the list!

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

This has been on my 'to-read' list for a loooooong time. Might have just advanced a couple of rungs on the list!

I hope you like it.

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pfft, all of you are dead to me. Dead!

This convinces me, run, not walk to your nearest bookstore or library and pick it up  .  :read:

Finished Dead Men’s Boots by Mike Carey, #3 in the Felix Castor series of urban fantasy: exorcism in London. 

Although these are very well written, and I love the choice of words and black humor, this installment fell flat.  I was reading 2-3 books per week in early July but then needed 2-3 weeks to get through this.  It never seemed to grab me and the plot felt extremely flat and muddled.  Also, the grim tone got too bleak.  The POV character loves to wallow in a bleak outlook but his problems stem only from his own poor choices and fatalism.

I didn’t want to quit on a book by a good author but I’m relieved this is finally done and I can move onto something new. 

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pfft, all of you are dead to me. Dead!

Disappointed in your reaction, I had higher expectations of you. 2/10, 100 lines after class, "I must live up to expectations with my angry rants."

:P

anyway, I started Spinning Silver. Enjoyable so far

Finished Empire of Ashes,  all the story lines came together a bit too neatly to wrap up the trilogy, but it was a fun ride, enjoyed the steampunk vs magic/dragons and enjoyed the characters. 

Jumped into Peadar O Guilin's The Volunteer, loving it so far, read Part One in one sitting.

Also started The Skull Throne, the fourth book in the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Disappointed in your reaction, I had higher expectations of you. 2/10, 100 lines after class, "I must live up to expectations with my angry rants."

:P

anyway, I started Spinning Silver. Enjoyable so far

All the yelling at Star Wars haters on other sites has drained me of my angry snark. :(

Having not commented in this thread all month, I feel I should before we move on to August. 

At the end of June or early July, I can't recall at this point, I finished up The Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler.  Book 5, The Infernal Battalion, was an excellent book, but I do think it was one of the weaker entries in the series.  You really could tell how he had planned it out from the jump though, and I really appreciate that. 

Through the myths and legends the Beast had been built up as a nigh unstoppable menace, so I enjoyed how its limitations were revealed.  And how well planned it was to have Winter flee to the north, preventing The Beast from sweeping across the south and our heroes not standing a chance.  Raesinia's sojourn to Borel was interesting, but felt entirely unnecessary (other than as a way to keep Raesinia occupied while Winter and Marcus were busy). 

Other things I loved:

• The growth of several of the non-POV characters like Cyte, Sothe, Alex, and Raes' money manager whose name I'm blanking on right now.
  • Sothe's sacrifice (as good as Bobbie's in the previous book).
  • That final battle between Winter's crew and The Beast.
  • Marcus' growth as the commander of the Girl's Own and then the remnants of the rest of the army.
  • And the hints of what Janus was up to at the end.

Fantastic series.  I am very sad that there's not anymore for me to continue reading.

After that I finished book 5 in another five book series - The Night Lies Bleeding by M.D. Lachlan.  Phenomenal.  That series really improved as it progressed, and wow, what an ending.  If you like Norse mythology, themes of reincarnation, or Geder Palliako in The Dagger and the Coin (book five has a character that feels very similar) check this out.  Book 1 is Wolfsangel. What a great ending. 

Then I read the new Vorkosigan novella, The Flowers of Vashnoi, by Lois McMaster Bujold.  I loved getting back into that world.  She's such a fantastic author.  I really need to get around to the World of Five Gods novellas...

Now I'm slowly working my way through Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald.  It's really good, especially the chapters dealing with Adriana's past and rise to power.  Work's been too crazy for me to go through it quickly.

Fantastic series.  I am very sad that there's not anymore for me to continue reading.

After that I finished book 5 in another five book series - The Night Lies Bleeding by M.D. Lachlan.  Phenomenal.  That series really improved as it progressed, and wow, what an ending.  If you like Norse mythology, themes of reincarnation, or Geder Palliako in The Dagger and the Coin (book five has a character that feels very similar) check this out.  Book 1 is Wolfsangel. What a great ending. 

Then I read the new Vorkosigan novella, The Flowers of Vashnoi, by Lois McMaster Bujold.  I loved getting back into that world.  She's such a fantastic author.  I really need to get around to the World of Five Gods novellas...

Now I'm slowly working my way through Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald.  It's really good, especially the chapters dealing with Adriana's past and rise to power.  Work's been too crazy for me to go through it quickly.

19 hours ago, Leofric said:

Finished Empire of Ashes,  all the story lines came together a bit too neatly to wrap up the trilogy, but it was a fun ride, enjoyed the steampunk vs magic/dragons and enjoyed the characters. 

Jumped into Peadar O Guilin's The Volunteer, loving it so far, read Part One in one sitting.

Also started The Skull Throne, the fourth book in the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett.

Thank you so much! I'm always delighted to hear somebody is still reading these :)

As for me, I lost my kindle, so, I'll be rereading Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. I hope it's as good as I remember it.

4 hours ago, Peadar said:

Thank you so much! I'm always delighted to hear somebody is still reading these :)

As for me, I lost my kindle, so, I'll be rereading Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. I hope it's as good as I remember it.

I finished it last night. The whole world gets a fresh start, the Diggers swept the planet clean, and the survivors had to abandon or destroy their history to survive.    Maybe someday we'll see if Nighttracker grows into his name.

I'm growing to depend more and more on my Kindle Fire for new books, but still getting enough physical books as well as having a couple thousand older books stashed around the house to tide me over if I lose it.

30 minutes ago, Leofric said:

I'm growing to depend more and more on my Kindle Fire for new books, but still getting enough physical books as well as having a couple thousand older books stashed around the house to tide me over if I lose it.

I'm lost without mine. I was halfway through Adrian Tchaikovsky's latest. :(  Ah well! Onwards and upwards...

Archived