Robb Stark is better ruler than Jon and Dany

11 hours ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

He never got promotion for being warg and Stark.

He never had 3 dragons and one of the biggest Essosi merchants behind him.

He was punished for doings of Ned against Greyjoys and Hoster against Arryns. RW would not happen if Greyjoys and Arryns supported him. 

I honestly cant tell if this is a joke or not. 

- Its implied he was a warg, but went against Catelyn's advice to keep his Direwolf close, and ignored Grey Wind's instincts around the Westerlings. Which meant he couldn't see any of the hidden treachery coming.

- Sure, he doesn't have 3 dragons. Nobody but Daenerys has 3 dragons, but yet most people seem to be doing just fine without them. 

- Balon Greyjoy would have kept on attacking the North if it wasn't for the fact that Ned took Theon as a hostage. Robb let Theon go back to Pyke, which in turn aloud Balon to attack the North without any repercussions, which basically lead to Robb loosing the North. 

- House Arryn didn't join Robb because Lysa, who was the ruler of the Vale until Robert came of age, was a deranged idiot who thought that allowing the Vale knights to leave the Vale would put her son in danger. Plus the only person she would listen to was Littlefinger, who in no way would have wanted the Vale to join up with Robb. It had nothing to do with Hoster Tully.

- The Red Wedding happened because Robb betrayed his vow to marry a Frey, and instead married a Westerling. The Red Wedding happened because he is a fucking idiot. 

In conclusion, Robb was a great battle commander, but a shit King.  

Robb was the first Stark in thousands of years who lost control of the North. He was put in  charge of the North and Riverlands and the people of these realms suffered under his 'rule'. unfortunately for Robb he will never be able to rectify his position but he must be one of the worst rulers in the history of Westeros, his subjects had an absolutely awful time under his rule. 

Having Brynden Tully by his side made a huge difference in Robb's campaign.

Balon Greyjoy was going to attack the north whether Theon went to him with Robb's proposal or not. By the time Theon arrived, Balon had already called the banners and was making his plans. 

Roose Bolton was plotting before Robb had married Jeyne Westerling and probably as early as Ramsay's marriage to Donella Hornwood. Theon taking Winterfell precipitated all of that.

Everything was already fraying early in his reign as king in the north. Going back in the books, it's clear enough that he was never going to come from this alive. It's the manner of his death that was repugnant. 

I think Robb could have won his war had he kept Edmure informed of his plans and what he meant to do. Robb left Riverrun and Edmure in charge, told him only to hold the castle. But Edmure engaged Tywin and his forces in the Battle of the Fords, cutting them off from heading back to the westerlands, and that allowed him to connect with Tyrell's host and march on King's Landing, arriving in time to beat Stannis. I think we would be looking at a very different outcome.

One of the things that always bugged me (and sorry for deviating from the OP) is how little he seemed to know about what was going on in the north. Robb seemed to have no idea at all that Mormont had taken his forces north of the Wall and that something awful had happened. Maester Aemon appealed to Joffrey and Stannis and we know that because it is discussed in a small council meeting and we know Alester Florent didn't pass the message on to Stannis because they didn't have men to spare. It seems to me that someone has kept information back from Robb.

6 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Robb was the first Stark in thousands of years who lost control of the North. 

I think Robb was the first Stark to ever loose control of the North. In the 300 years since Aegon's Conquest, the Starks being in charge of the North was pretty undisputed, and before that when they where Kings, sure I imagine there were low points, but I don't think there was a single time when the Starks didn't have some sort of power in the North. 

I think being named King of the Riverlands didn't help much. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I think unlike most regions of the 7 Kingdoms, the Riverlands is basically just an open area where an attack can come from anywhere. Lets say for arguments sake that the Tullys where a Northern house, Robb could have declared himself King, retreated back North behind Moat Cailin, and let the Southerners come to attack him. But unfortunately Robb had to defend his Southern family who live in arguably the worst place for defense. Gregor Clegane and his men just strolled on into the Riverlands and starting creating chaos. If they wanted to get into the North, they would either have had to cross the Neck, or breached Moat Cailin. 

On 7/4/2018 at 10:09 AM, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

He never got promotion for being warg and Stark.

He never had 3 dragons and one of the biggest Essosi merchants behind him.

He was punished for doings of Ned against Greyjoys and Hoster against Arryns. RW would not happen if Greyjoys and Arryns supported him. 

Dany is the best ruler out of the three.  Jon is the worst leader because he betrayed the Night's Watch.  Robb is almost as bad as Jon.  

Dany was forced to marry a man from a very different culture and yet she found a way to adapt and thrive.  She had the confidence and the guts to walk into Drogo's cremation fire and hatch three dragons eggs.  She is fighting to bring freedom to the slaves in Essos.  I say she has the makings of a great ruler.  Dealing with the pale mare is good training for the future when she has to deal with the outbreak of grey scale in Westeros after Jon Connington spreads the disease.  

Jon got all kinds of breaks to get elected to his leadership position.   Mormont cut him some slack for his desertion of the watch and for breaking his vows.   Jon could have shown the same mercy to Janos Slynt, whose offense was a lot less than his own.  His execution of Janos Slynt was personal and made a mockery of justice when he allowed the most insubordinate Night's Watch brother of them all in Mance Rayder walk away unpunished.  To top it all off, Jon tried to take his sister from Ramsay Bolton so he can sneak her away across the Narrow Sea.  Jon knew well how dangerous that was to do but he could not deny his love for Arya.  He put the world at risk for Arya.  That is not proper conduct for a leader and a disgrace for a lord commander.

Robb was good on the battlefield but shit everywhere else.  He shows a talent for battle tactics and he understood politics well enough.  He just lacked the discipline to stay the course.  He was unwilling to make the personal sacrifices such as denying his love to benefit his cause.  He put the lives of his soldiers and his followers in danger when he basically told the Freys to go to hell, he was going to marry the girl he wanted and their services to him doesn't matter.  

Archived