NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

25 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Interesting stuff.

My feeling when reading all of this is is that it is a sad state of affairs for the Cavs, mostly.

No one needs to feel sorry for LeBron who got exactly what he wanted. Kyrie got what he wanted ( except for the injury) and is in a better situation to win next year than LeBron is, assuming LA doesn't trade for Kahwe ( and even then I wonder).

But the Cavs, well, they've had their run but ultimately the fact that they were just not good enough last season surely factored into LeBron's decision, the signs and frustration were just too visible. So now they are left there, with Love, for whom w ehave seen reports a few days ago that the Cavs are shopping him because with him they will be an 8th seed type team. If I were a Cavs fan paying for tickets I'd probably want them to keep him though, otherwise you're really watching a race to the gutter, which I just don't enjoy in any way. Will be interesting to see what happens to Love though. Trade him to the Lakers for Ingram :D

Yeah, once Durant went to the Warriors, it was probably going to take a major injury for the Cavs to have a chance.  Just a shame that a team that had some of the best postseason offenses in the history of the NBA only walked away with one title due to bad timing (and injuries in 2015).

Been out of the country and it's possible I'm hallucinating from jet lag but did the Wizards really add Dwight Howard and Jeff Green? This along with Austin Rivers. Apparently Ernie Grunfeld's offseason research this year consisted of scrolling NBA twitter and searching for the guys who got name-checked the most without reading the actual tweets.

Adding a guy who has been universally hated everywhere he goes and another who only occasionally tries hard to a team with chemistry and effort issues is either 7th dimensional chess or more likely a last ditch Hail Mary for a team that needed to shake things up regardless....but, um, not this way? On paper they've filled some big needs and are a deeper more talented roster than last year. In reality, this team probably implodes by January. They either somehow win 50 games in an absurdly weak East or Wall or Beal is traded by next offseason. Not sure I see an in between. 

18 minutes ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

Been out of the country and it's possible I'm hallucinating from jet lag but did the Wizards really add Dwight Howard and Jeff Green? This along with Austin Rivers. Apparently Ernie Grunfeld's offseason research this year consisted of scrolling NBA twitter and searching for the guys who got name-checked the most without reading the actual tweets.

Adding a guy who has been universally hated everywhere he goes and another who only occasionally tries hard to a team with chemistry and effort issues is either 7th dimensional chess or more likely a last ditch Hail Mary for a team that needed to shake things up regardless....but, um, not this way? On paper they've filled some big needs and are a deeper more talented roster than last year. In reality, this team probably implodes by January. They either somehow win 50 games in an absurdly weak East or Wall or Beal is traded by next offseason. Not sure I see an in between. 

This is the year.

No Lebron... the East will belong to the Wizards!!! Or not.  You know.  One of the two.

43 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Melo will be departing OKC, one way or another this summer. It’s crazy to think that he could cost the team upwards of $100m this year.

Melo may be the biggest con artist in the history of the league. Hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain for a guy who hasn’t helped a team win anything of consequence in the better part of a decade.

16 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Melo may be the biggest con artist in the history of the league. Hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain for a guy who hasn’t helped a team win anything of consequence in the better part of a decade.

Eh, there have probably been a ton of dudes that have been bigger “con men” than Melo. That said, you’re right to point out that for all the money he’s made, he hasn’t accomplished much of anything outside of his stellar international play. There were a number of people who thought he could be just as good as LeBron when he came out of college. His career has truly been a disappointment.

5 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

This. He could've teamed up with Lebron and Wade in 2010 had he been comfortable with an including an early opt out but he valued the security of a full contract more. Then, ironically, he decided he couldn't abide being in Denver any longer (despite signing the longer contract), decided he couldn't wait another year to go to NY and forced the Knicks to trade most of their quality assets to get him immediately killing any chance he'd ever be on a contender there. Once again he took max deals at max contract lengths ensuring he'd be stuck in a losing situation for the rest of his prime. And by the time he finally got to another playoff team, he was completely washed and his giant contract would keep OKC from being a true contender as well. 

Now the Rockets are already interested in him, I guess because of Chris Paul? I bet the Lakers will be too with Lebron there. Either one will probably get him for cheap but even at a low price are we sure he brings more to the table than he takes off? I'm not at all. Dude has never prioritized winning at any point in his career and I'm not convinced he's going to start now. 

28 minutes ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

Now the Rockets are already interested in him, I guess because of Chris Paul? I bet the Lakers will be too with Lebron there. Either one will probably get him for cheap but even at a low price are we sure he brings more to the table than he takes off? I'm not at all. Dude has never prioritized winning at any point in his career and I'm not convinced he's going to start now. 

The odd thing is he has when he’s on the national team. But for whatever reason he can’t take the mentality he brings there and apply it to his NBA team.

14 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

The odd thing is he has when he’s on the national team. But for whatever reason he can’t take the mentality he brings there and apply it to his NBA team.

He just needs to be surrounded by 6-7 HoFers to focus. Not sure why the Knicks never figured this out. 

3 hours ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

The thing that stands out the most for me is how quickly he regressed. He was dogshit for the Thunder last season.

Then you look at the year before when the Knicks were flailing around and people thought Carmelo was the only good thing left on that team. But maybe he wasn't, is what some are now thinking, and he may not only have been unable to left that admittedly bad team but was already deteriorating.

Things have gone quickly with him.

Not sure I agree with you on Howard, though I do agree on Green and Rivers, though Green was signed for a very small deal I believe.

There could be chemistry problems yes, and maybe he just doesn't fit. But clearly they were done with Gortat and who knows, this might work, he can still play and be useful. But I do think it's a red flag teams keep trading him.

15 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

The thing that stands out the most for me is how quickly he regressed. He was dogshit for the Thunder last season.

Yeah it has been kind of odd. I thought his game would have aged the best out of the top five picks from the '03 draft.

5 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

For some reason I always pictured Tony Parker as a Spur for life. Weird to see him leave, I would have thought he'd retire first.

Same, and it's even weirder that he join a team that has no shot at contention. I wonder if this means that Kemba's getting moved? 

30 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Not sure I agree with you on Howard, though I do agree on Green and Rivers, though Green was signed for a very small deal I believe.

There could be chemistry problems yes, and maybe he just doesn't fit. But clearly they were done with Gortat and who knows, this might work, he can still play and be useful. But I do think it's a red flag teams keep trading him.

It's true the Wizards needed a center. And Howard's pure numbers are still very good. I could imagine Wall engineering him a lot of easy looks like he did Gortat.

The issue is every team he leaves is ecstatic to see him go. From the Lakers to the Rockets to the Hawks to the Hornets. The guy is like the Terrell Owens of the NFL. And like TO with declining athleticism, it becomes less and less worth the headache. I was surprised the Wizards felt otherwise. Think it reflects a desperate team making a desperate last gasp attempt at the Conference Finals. 

21 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Same, and it's even weirder that he join a team that has no shot at contention. I wonder if this means that Kemba's getting moved? 

I dunno man, NOTHING about this makes a lick of sense to me.

Archived