NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just read the Magic traded for Jerian Grant and Timofey Mozgov.  Oh it's on now, that's all they needed.

Woah now, don’t forget that the Bulls got some dude named Julyan Stone out of this deal. Paxson is an evil genius! (I know it’s a salary dump, let me hate on my team)

Brook Lopez signs with Milwaukee.

Basically the Lakers gave up Lopez and Randle for Rondo, JaVale McGee and Lance Stephenson. Just hideous. Lonzo, Rondo and Lance are 30%/33%/29% 3 point shooters respectively. They've gone negative in terms of surrounding Lebron with floor spacers. Really feels like the Lakers are set to punt on this year. But that's risky considering this is Lebron's age 34 season. Basically you're resigning yourself to only start contending with a roster centered around a 35 year old. I know Lebron is superhuman but Father Time is undefeated. 

At least they were smart enough to make these (and a big KCP overpay) effectively 1 year deals. I believe they'll be able to fit in close to two max guys next year and this with potentially not having to give up Ingram/Lonzo. From their advanced tampering efforts they must believe strongly that Kawhi is coming there in a year so no need to give up assets. Presume the young guys (and Luke Walton) get a one year audition to convince Lebron they can be useful pieces on a contender. 

I have disliked Adam Levine Zach LaVine even in his Timberwolves days, both my casual eye test and advanced statistics agree. He just doesn't help a team win, even if he is making a lot of shots. I feel like my Bulls are going to regret this overpay. 

Since I'm constantly wrong about everything I chat about on baseball and basketball forums, I really do hope that he somehow becomes a very different player, and helps our young guys develop into a real core. I sure doubt it.

Lakers fans wasted no time deforming a mural of LeBron in Los Angeles.  

The artist has since fixed it and removed the "of" in the hopes that fans will leave it alone now.  :lol:

I also saw a comment somewhere that, due to the height of the scribbles, Kobe is the most likely suspect.  Made me laugh.

Melo accepted a reduced role in OKC. He just played like complete dog shit. He was willing to be the third guy and defer shots to Westbrook and George, as well as be more of a spot up shooter. His one thing was he wasn't willing to come off the bench.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:07 PM, chiKanery et al. said:

The odd thing is he has when he’s on the national team. But for whatever reason he can’t take the mentality he brings there and apply it to his NBA team.

It's not odd. US basketball team is in a league of their own when it comes to international matches. They can (and have) send a bunch of alternates and win the tournament, regardless if it's World Championship or the Olympics.

10 minutes ago, baxusalah said:

It's not odd. US basketball team is in a league of their own when it comes to international matches. They can (and have) send a bunch of alternates and win the tournament, regardless if it's World Championship or the Olympics.

No, it IS odd. Melo is much better 3pt shooter in international competition than in the NBA, inexplicably so. Everyone was hoping Melo would be Team USA Melo for OKC, and im sure that's what the Rockets will be hoping for when they inevitably acquire him to play with his buddy CP3. 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

No, it IS odd. Melo is much better 3pt shooter in international competition than in the NBA, inexplicably so. Everyone was hoping Melo would be Team USA Melo for OKC, and im sure that's what the Rockets will be hoping for when they inevitably acquire him to play with his buddy CP3. 

Maybe, just maaaaaybe, it has something to do with closer 3 point line and not as athletic players defending him as the ones he's used to rather than Melo going SuperMelo?

2 minutes ago, baxusalah said:

Maybe, just maaaaaybe, it has something to do with closer 3 point line and not as athletic players defending him as the ones he's used to rather than Melo going SuperMelo?

Look at what he shot on OPEN 3 point attempts last season. 

Can anyone explain why teams give contracts at top £££ when they know that the player will be worth half of it for the last couple of years?  i.e. Booker has been overpaid, but at least they should be roughly aware of what they are getting, how is CP3 going to justify 40 mill a year at 37?

1 hour ago, baxusalah said:

I think you're underestimating the difference in quality between team USA and other teams.

Ummm, no, im not. 

Melo shot 30% on 3pt attempts when a defender was no closer than 4 - 6 feet away from him last season. That's inexplicable. And has nothing to do with the quality of competition, unless we are taking fatigue into account, but let's face is, its not like Melo wears himself out on D. He fell off a fucking cliff. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can anyone explain why teams give contracts at top £££ when they know that the player will be worth half of it for the last couple of years?  i.e. Booker has been overpaid, but at least they should be roughly aware of what they are getting, how is CP3 going to justify 40 mill a year at 37?

They want the guy for the first couple of years and are willing to pay higher amounts later to get him up front in the good years.

Certainly not unique to basketball.  The Mets pay Bobby Bonilla $1.2m every July 1 until 2035.  And he hasn't even played a game for them since 2000.  (Although that deal is much more complicated than any of the basketball deals we are talking about.) 

IF that one story was true about LeBron wanting to move more into the post and not handle the ball as much, I think the Rondo signing was actually a pretty good one for the Lakers. Rondo can't shoot for shit, but he is excellent at ball-handling, and a one-year deal has pretty much no risk.

The JaVale McGee and Lance Stephenson deals are less defensible, unless the Lakers really are waiting a season before getting into high-gear (and letting LeBron basically take a year off to recover from the crazy workload he's had for years now). But they aren't terrible coming off the bench options; what would be bad is if they are getting significant minutes.

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you're Houston, your options are probably pay Paul what he wants or watch him go sign with the Lakers.  Given that choice, and given the fact that your window is only open another two or three years at most, you go all in now.  If Paul leaves, they end up with nothing and their title chances are over.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

IF that one story was true about LeBron wanting to move more into the post and not handle the ball as much, I think the Rondo signing was actually a pretty good one for the Lakers. Rondo can't shoot for shit, but he is excellent at ball-handling, and a one-year deal has pretty much no risk.

I'll be willing to believe LeBron is willing to move into the post and not handle the ball as much when he actually does it for more than a few weeks at a time.  I feel like we've seen this movie twice now.  LeBron will do it at first to show he's putting in the effort, but ultimately he'll get sick of it, go right back to LeBron Ball, and try to get his coach fired and replaced with someone who will let him get away with murder.

From what I've read, Klutch sports reached out to the Lakers earlier this season and tried to get them to fire Luke Walton and hire Fizdale after he got fired.  Buss refused.  I found it impressive that LeBron tried to get his coach fired before he even joined the team.  :lol:

It's been a very underwhelming NBA offseason so far, in and of itself as well as compared to other years.

LeBron's move to the Lakers, on his own, is not what anyone expected and if nothing happens and they leave this team as is with leBron at age 34 then it's a disappointment in my view. Impossible to see how that is an upgrade from last year's Cavs team, so while I'm sure LeBron had other reasons for leaving other than just roster construction and creating a GS contender, from a competitive standpoint this is not exciting.

PG signing with OKC is great for OKC but does not change the landscape. It does keep OKC relevant and they are going all-in.

And.... that's basically been it, as nobody expected Paul or Durant to do anything but re-up.

In the East I just feel the Celtics and Sixers will stand pat. Celtics can justifiably rely on the fantastic team they have and with Irving and Hayward back you almost get two new players in the team. The Sixers, often named in trade rumours, but if you think about, trading for Kevin Love? They have Saric and might think he fulfills a similar role. Kahwi? Not if he's a rental. The main thing outstanding is who gets Kahwi because he is not stayin in San Antonio.

Archived