NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Sounds like we may be getting Road Trippin' back!

Road Trippin is GREAT. Really enjoyed their episode with Timmy D. Hope it comes back!

With the warriors potential starting 5 being so ridiculous I have 2 questions. Has any team on history had such quality all over the court, and secondly could any existing squad take any 2 players from elsewhere, and be considered favourites against them? 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

With the warriors potential starting 5 being ridiculous I have 2 questions. Has any team on history had such quality all over the court, and secondly could any existing squad take any 2 players from elsewhere, and be considered favourites against them? 

I don't believe any team has ever had a 5 guy ALL NBA starting lineup, so this is probably the best squad on paper in history, if you assume Boogie comes back at 95% of his former self. Even then there isn't enough ball to go around, and you can expect diminishing returns on Boogie unless he plays with the second unit. 

Just off the top of my head,  the Celtics with Kawhi and Lebron could take them, Rockets with Paul George and Karl Anthony Town or someone like that could probably take them...there are many other combinations out there that could beat this team. Hell, Rockets had a very good chance of taking them out with their current roster minus Ariza... 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

With the warriors potential starting 5 being so ridiculous I have 2 questions. Has any team on history had such quality all over the court, and secondly could any existing squad take any 2 players from elsewhere, and be considered favourites against them? 

I don't know enough about real old NBA history to be sure, but I believe some of those '60s Celtics teams were similarly stacked compared to the rest of the league. There were a few years in the mid-60s where they had 6 to 7 (depending on the year) future Hall of Fame players on the team.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

The 86 Celtics had four Hall of Famers plus Danny Ainge starting, and Bill Walton coming off the bench. But that's as close as I can remember.

This Warriors team is the best ever by a country mile. There have been other teams that put multiple all-stars and even multiple hall of famers together, but this team has guys that are high end even among hall of famers.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Several of the 60s Celtics teams

The 1973 Knicks

1986 Celtics

On 7/21/2018 at 12:30 AM, briantw said:

Thing I wonder is, what does this say about LeBron?

He could be proclaimed a genius if this works because as Magic keeps saying, any and all acquisitions the Lakers make have been and will continue to be discussed with LeBron first, the way Buss apparently did with Magic himself. So these are all guys LeBron specifically wanted, this is the roster that he is compiling. Beasley is another guy who's style of play LeBron likes.

But if this falls flat on it's face next season, good deal of that is on him as well, it must be said. And I say that as a fan of his oeuvre.

By the way. I am looking at that Laker roster and I see:

Hart at 1 ( maybe Ball starts but I would start Hart instead of him)

KCP at 2

Ingram at 3 

LeBron at 4 ( and thus Kuzma off the bench)

Mc Gee at 5??

Is McGee supposed to be the starter night in night out?

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Personally, I think guys aren't exactly tripping over themselves to play with LeBron any more.  I have no idea if LA recruited Frye or Jefferson, but it sounds like both guys have zero interest in playing with LeBron.  Frye preferred to go back to Cleveland and play with his buddy Kevin Love.  Jefferson looks to be doing the same, or at least going to a non-contending team in general.  Paul George spurned him to stay in Oklahoma despite being from LA.  Chris Paul stayed in Houston despite being best friends with LeBron.  Kawhi reportedly prefers the Clippers to playing in LeBron's shadow.

It just really seems like the allure of playing next to LeBron James is gone, and I think that's largely because playing with LeBron is really only worth all the bullshit if you're winning titles, and with the Warriors as stacked as ever it's just not worth it right now.  With LeBron, you're signing up for a season of constant drama where he'll probably try to get the coach fired at least once, possibly will spend a month throwing games, won't want to practice during the regular season, and will be more than willing to throw his teammates under the bus via subtweets.  Further, playing with LeBron means you get all the blame when the team loses and none of the respect when the team wins.  If the team loses, it's on LeBron's teammates.  If the team wins, it's because LeBron is so great (which, to be fair, he is, but I can't imagine that sits well with teammates).  So it makes at least a certain amount of sense if you're winning a title, but not so much if you're looking at a first or second round playoff exit.

Next year, the Lakers will probably get another star to sign there.  My money is on Jimmy Butler, although there's an obvious chance he could be traded somewhere he likes and stay there like George.  And I don't think that will be enough to topple the Warriors.  If they win this year, I can't imagine Durant and Thompson won't at least stick around for one more year to try for the four-peat, which hasn't been done in the modern NBA era.  And if they stick around, it's hard to imagine anyone the Lakers can bring in being enough.

LeBron is going to be 34 years old shortly into this season, and I think guys see the end coming.  It's probably much better to hitch your ride to a guy like Harden at this point than to join the LeBron James Drama Express and get knocked out in the second round.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

He could be proclaimed a genius if this works because as Magic keeps saying, any and all acquisitions the Lakers make have been and will continue to be discussed with LeBron first, the way Buss apparently did with Magic himself. So these are all guys LeBron specifically wanted, this is the roster that he is compiling. Beasley is another guy who's style of play LeBron likes.

But if this falls flat on it's face next season, good deal of that is on him as well, it must be said. And I say that as a fan of his oeuvre.

Indeed.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, DanteGabriel said:

The 86 Celtics had four Hall of Famers plus Danny Ainge starting, and Bill Walton coming off the bench. But that's as close as I can remember.

This reminds me of an old Married... With Children episode where Al went to the NBA All Star game and you hear over the loudspeaker “Now, here’s your NBA All-Stars... and Danny Ainge.”

:lol: 

On 7/20/2018 at 4:11 PM, briantw said:

Man, that Lakers roster is really going to be something.  No idea what, but no whiteboard in the locker room will be safe from LeBron's wrath.

They'll need to bubble wrap the locker room when Javale blows game 3 against the Warriors by scoring on the wrong basket. 

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

This reminds me of an old Married... With Children episode where Al went to the NBA All Star game and you hear over the loudspeaker “Now, here’s your NBA All-Stars... and Danny Ainge.”

:lol: 

Was that the same episode where Al got his ass kicked by Xavier Mcdaniel?

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh man, things are harsh for DC fans when Minnesota fans are mocking their pain.

Tywin has to get these jabs in now before the NFL season begins and 95% of my posting becomes Kirk Cousins trolling. 

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh man, things are harsh for DC fans when Minnesota fans are mocking their pain.

To be fair, they've been lower on the sports totem poll than us for a long time up until that Caps winning the Stanley Cup. 

Archived