NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

What specifically would Butler be frustrated about with Towns/Wiggins that they need to “learn”?

They not putting in the work?

Their personalities don't match at all. Wiggins is laid back (too laid back) and KAT is happy-go-lucky. Meanwhile Butler is intense AF, and he hates the younger player's nonchalant attitudes. It's important to keep in mind that Wiggins had an incredibly spoiled upbringing and Towns has been getting perks since he was a kid. Butler, OTOH, was kicked out of his house when he was 13, bounced around a lot, went through the JuCo route to the NCAA and was a second round pick. He's had to fight for everything and resents how Towns and Wiggins did not. This inevitable friction was so obvious, to the point where this schlub predicted it over a year ago. 

22 hours ago, briantw said:

If I were him I'd be frustrated that the team paid Wiggins all the money in the world despite not being good at basketball.

:spank:

On 8/15/2018 at 1:23 AM, briantw said:

If I were him I'd be frustrated that the team paid Wiggins all the money in the world despite not being good at basketball.

Remember when Love for Wiggins was considered a horrible trade? That was funny. 

(sorry, love bringing it up. i'm petty)

5 hours ago, Relic said:

Remember when Love for Wiggins was considered a horrible trade? That was funny. 

(sorry, love bringing it up. i'm petty)

Eh, I’m still happy with the trade. Love was an overrated stat stuffer who didn’t offer anything when it came to winning games. He can go back to being that now that LeBron is gone. Wiggins still has upside, but that contract could become a problem.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

It is bizarre to me that Wiggins wasn't able to become a decent player.

I still think there’s plenty of time, though it can’t be denied that he doesn’t seem to have much fight in him. One thing I will say though is that he’s never been coached up. Saunders was a part time coach. Mitchell was an awful coach. And Thibs has somehow managed to be even worse. I wonder what Wiggins would be if he was paired with a good coach.

8 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I’m still happy with the trade. Love was an overrated stat stuffer who didn’t offer anything when it came to winning games. He can go back to being that now that LeBron is gone. Wiggins still has upside, but that contract could become a problem.

If Love is an overrated stat stuffer, what does that make Wiggins?  He's not even close to as good as Love in his worst season and he's being paid like he's LeBron.  

Sometimes you just gotta take the L.  That trade was a big loss for the Wolves, especially when you factor in that ludicrous extension Wiggins got.  Love just got overpaid, but Wiggins is a replacement level player and he's making more.

51 minutes ago, briantw said:

If Love is an overrated stat stuffer, what does that make Wiggins?  He's not even close to as good as Love in his worst season and he's being paid like he's LeBron.  

Sometimes you just gotta take the L.  That trade was a big loss for the Wolves, especially when you factor in that ludicrous extension Wiggins got.  Love just got overpaid, but Wiggins is a replacement level player and he's making more.

Wiggins is an overrated volume scorer at this point, but that doesn't justify the hate he gets. When ever I read an article about him, it seems like every author needs to begin by saying he's one of the most polarizing young talents in the game, with his supporters pointing to his upside while detractors point to his advance metrics. And saying that Wiggins has never had a better season than Love is silly. 

The trade would be a loss if they were the same age, but they aren't. Love is about to turn 30 while Wiggins is just 23. If Wiggins was a bit older I'd say sure, but he still has plenty of time to improve. Furthermore, there are fears that Love's body is breaking down on him. No one can say that about Wiggins. And lastly, looking at Love's stats, he's really only had four All-Star quality seasons. The rest have been average, but he still gets in on name recognition. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Love is a great offensive player. Wiggins isn't good at anything aside from inefficient volume scoring. He's a legitimately poor player at this point in his career.

Exactly.  Love is a legitimately good player in the league.  He's not a superstar.  He'll never be a top ten player.  But right now he's comfortably one of the best thirty or so players in the league.

Wiggins isn't even in the top one hundred.  I don't care about the age difference.  I'd easily expect Love to be a better player over the next five years (the lengths of both their respective contracts) than Wiggins.  Wiggins hasn't had a single season where he has been a positive contributor on the court.  Love has done that basically every season.  

And for all the talk about Love's defense, he's historically been a better defender than Wiggins.

Peopel dont give Love enough credit for being an above average rebounder and perhaps the best outlet passer in the game. He helped create SO many easy scoring opportunities with his rebound/outlet pass to a streaking James. 

• 2 weeks later...

Joel Embiid  :rofl: 

So I’m chilling one night, and I go on YouTube, and I’m thinking I’m about to figure this shooting thing out.

I go to the search box like….

HOW TO SHOOT 3 POINTERS.

Nah.

HOW TO SHOOT GOOD FORM

Nah.

Then the light bulb went off, man. I typed in the magic words.

WHITE PEOPLE SHOOTING 3 POINTERS.

Listen, I know it’s a stereotype, but have you ever seen a normal, 30-year-old white guy shoot a three-pointer? That elbow is tucked, man. The knees are bent. The follow-through is perfect. Always. You know how in America, there’s always an older guy wearing like EVERLAST sweat-shorts at the court? That guy is always a problem. His J is always wet.

Those are the guys I learned from on YouTube. Just random people shooting threes with perfect form.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

So essentially we gave up three good prospects for one year of Butler and a prospect who has had three surgeries on his foot in a year. FML  

FIRE THIBS!!!!

Amazing how quickly the wheels fell off in Minny.  When you guys drafted Towns and traded for Butler, I thought you were a year or two away from being a Western Conference contender.  Then the Wiggins contract happened and I knew the window closed before it even technically opened.

Archived