NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

All this just makes me smug about the people who were insisting the Celtics needed to flip the Fultz/Tatum pick for Butler or Playoff P.

If they had, there's no guarantee things would have played out this way.  The Celtics are significantly better than the Wolves.  They have a way better coach and better overall talent.  I also think it would have given the Celtics a better chance of keeping Irving, because he and Butler apparently would love to play together.

At any rate, Butler seemed fine with going to Minny at first, but the team had a much better outlook when he was traded there.  They looked like a future contender at that time.  That no longer is the case, and so Butler wants out.

32 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

According to the Woj the three teams are: Brooklyn, the Clips, the Knicks.

What a bizarre three teams. It's clearly about the market for him above everything else, including winning. Infact considering he left off the Lakers....winning is an active drawback. 

Bulls fan here, was my all-time favorite non-starter for us when he was the all-hustle kid. I was always glad he broke through to stardom, but it has let his arrogance run wild. He has a rare self-assuredness that ranks up there with Jordan - except that he just seems more interested in proving himself over other guys, trophies be damned. Wanting to go to one of those teams just shows it. He's going to leave a flawed playoff team to join one of those franchises? Just so he can be the Top Gun in a big market? Fuck outta here, Jimmy, that aint the way to win rings, but enjoy your celebrity dates!

Anyone who is considering trading for Butler should reconsider upon seeing that list of teams he wants to play for.  Butler obviously doesn't care about winning, and why would any team want their leader to be a guy like that?

51 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Anyone who is considering trading for Butler should reconsider upon seeing that list of teams he wants to play for.  Butler obviously doesn't care about winning, and why would any team want their leader to be a guy like that?

Actually I wouldn't say that yet.  It isn't a list of 3 teams that he can get traded to.  Its a list of 3 teams that he would get traded where he might sign an extension prior to next summer.  Why would he?  Those 3 teams will have max cap space to add another star besides him be it Kawhi or Irving or whatever next summer.

Problem is, as a Wolves fan, what does those teams have to offer? Doesn't feel like much. Anyways, I predicted all of this would happen. That he would be a bad fit. That he would class with the kids. That he'd stunt Wiggins growth. And then he'd leave.

A one year rental cost us LaVine, Dunn and most importantly, Markkanen, and I am skeptical that will get anything close to that in return.

SMH.  

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Problem is, as a Wolves fan, what does those teams have to offer? Doesn't feel like much. Anyways, I predicted all of this would happen. That he would be a bad fit. That he would class with the kids. That he'd stunt Wiggins growth. And then he'd leave.

A one year rental cost us LaVine, Dunn and most importantly, Markkanen, and I am skeptical that will get anything close to that in return.

SMH.  

I think Joakim Noah is still with the Knicks. :lol:

In all seriousness though, leaving his choice of teams aside, your best bet is to get a star for star trade. If teams aren't giving up their prospects for Kawhi, I don't think they will do so for Butler either. 

13 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

SMH.  

Yeah, this is really sour for the T-Wolves above all else. Some good youngsters gone for someone who's been complaining about the team all season long and now even wants out.

12 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I think Joakim Noah is still with the Knicks. :lol:

In all seriousness though, leaving his choice of teams aside, your best bet is to get a star for star trade. If teams aren't giving up their prospects for Kawhi, I don't think they will do so for Butler either. 

We’re not going to get a star for him. He’s nearing 30 and has played an insane amount of minutes in his career. And Thibs is an awful manager of the roster. We’ll probably get a bad contract, a young player who is average and if we’re lucky a first round pick. This is an utter disaster and should lead to Thibs getting fired.

9 hours ago, Relic said:

How so? 

Because the three teams he's most interested in playing for are not even close to contending, and trading away assets in order to sign Butler (which is what he wants) will take them even further from a championship. Clearly his desire is to be the Big Dog in a big city NBA team, like a repeat of Carmelo on the Knicks.  That raised Melo's profile for a while, but even in the best Melo year the Knicks they were never close to a championship, getting run off the court by the second best team in the East. 

47 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Because the three teams he's most interested in playing for are not even close to contending, and trading away assets in order to sign Butler (which is what he wants) will take them even further from a championship. Clearly his desire is to be the Big Dog in a big city NBA team, like a repeat of Carmelo on the Knicks.  That raised Melo's profile for a while, but even in the best Melo year the Knicks they were never close to a championship, getting run off the court by the second best team in the East. 

To be fair, the Knicks are not that far away if they can lure another star like Kyrie to their team. They won’t have to give up much for Butler, and him combined with Irving, KP and Knox plus some decent role players isn’t that far away in the awful Eastern Conference. You’re right to say that the other two teams are trash though.

51 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

To be fair, the Knicks are not that far away if they can lure another star like Kyrie to their team. They won’t have to give up much for Butler, and him combined with Irving, KP and Knox plus some decent role players isn’t that far away in the awful Eastern Conference. You’re right to say that the other two teams are trash though.

Yes they are.  They could get LeBron and Durant and they would still be shit as long as Jimmy D is owning them.  Sorry Relic.

8 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

So now Thibs is refusing to trade Butler and would rather leave the organization than rebuild again.

Small glimmer of hope?   

Yeah, it's done. The owner was apparently telling other owners to call him directly with Butler trades. The Thibs fraud has officially been exposed, and I'm sure some dumb franchise will hire him to run them into the ground within the next few months.

Archived