NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

I had high hopes when we first hired Thibs. Sam Mitchell was a terrible coach, and it seemed like Thibs had some bad luck in Chicago. But good lord Thibs has been terrible, and it’s hard to point to a single positive thing he’s done since he’s gotten here. I don’t know of a single fan that still wants him to be the coach.

On a better note I am more excited for the Raptors this year than I have been for them ever, and possibly for any team in any sport  Maybe it all fails and maybe Kawhi leaves in the summer.  But maybe it doesn't and he doesn't.  I'm just excited basketball is almost back. 

27 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

So it looks like the Bulls are the clear winners of the Jimmy Butler trade, with all the drama unfolding up in Minnesota.

Idk. Some of these hypothetical deals with Miami sound pretty good. Richardson, Bam and either Winslow or a first round pick in 75 years sounds like a decent return, all things considered, especially if Thibs walks over it.

22 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Yes, looks like a sensational player.

Really? I saw some flashes but I also saw a not-in-great-shape dude that could barely get by some random Chinese players. He's going to have a tough road in the NBA is he's bound for greatness. 

Here the full story, and I'm going to highlight the most important part:

Butler acknowledged that he can be hard on teammates, especially Towns, but he said on Wednesday Towns started it all by talking trash to him. And he responded.

"Am I being tough on him? Yeah, that's who am I," he said. "I'm not the most talented player on the team. Who is the most talented player on our team -- KAT. Who is the most god-gifted player on our team -- Wiggs. Who plays the hardest? Me! I play hard. I put my body (on the line) every day in practice, every day in games. That's my passion. Everybody leads in different ways. That's how I show I'm here for you."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950981/jimmy-butler-heated-practice-timberwolves

I said when the trade was made that this could go south and go south quickly. Wiggins and Towns are simply not the same type of people as Butler. Wiggs and KAT were five star recruits who were doted on since why were kids, and Wiggs comes from a wealthy family. Life has never been hard for them. Butler, OTOH, grew up poor, was thrown out of his house at 13, had to go the juco route to get to Marquette, and was a second round pick. He's had to fight for everything he's gotten. They haven't. And Butler sees that and doesn't respect them. You could see it all year. He wouldn't pass them the ball when it was the smart thing to do. 

This was premeditated. The story is entirely one sided for him. He had an interview scheduled with Rachel Nichols right after. This was not an accident. 

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Houston reportedly turned down an offer of Butler for  Gordon and Tucker. Ummm mmmm.... What?? 

Sum of the whole vs sum of the parts? I don't think it makes sense for Houston to lose two decent rotation players for another sulking ball hog. He plays better defense, sure, but thats about it. Is that worth the risk of making the team atmosphere toxic?

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Sum of the whole vs sum of the parts? I don't think it makes sense for Houston to lose two decent rotation players for another sulking ball hog. He plays better defense, sure, but thats about it. Is that worth the risk of making the team atmosphere toxic?

I doubt he'd be toxic with CP3 on the roster. Hard to accuse that dude of not working hard enough. And he's friends with Melo, I think. Anyway, he's a great defender and a good 3 point shooter, seems like a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

I doubt he'd be toxic with CP3 on the roster. Hard to accuse that dude of not working hard enough. And he's friends with Melo, I think. Anyway, he's a great defender and a good 3 point shooter, seems like a no brainer.

Yeah, but his problems with KAT and Wiggins is that they don’t defend. How would that go with Harden?

Honestly, I’m starting to wonder if the internet rumors are true that Butler slept with Towns’ then girlfriend.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

I don't mean that he won't work hard, but those are two decent players he would be replacing and he would most likely want the ball more than them, especially as he is due a contract extension. Also, the added benefit on offense wouldn't be that great as Gordon is also a good 3 point shooter and the ball will likely be with Harden and Paul anyway.

As I said, he may be better than the two players he is replacing in a vacuum, but not on this team. I mean, maybe if he was going to New Orleans or Portland? Definitely not Houston though.

Archived