NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

2 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

As I said, he may be better than the two players he is replacing in a vacuum, but not on this team. I mean, maybe if he was going to New Orleans or Portland? Definitely not Houston though.

Houston is a team that is short on depth, and that cost them against GSW last year.  Trading two guys who are definitely in the rotation for one star would only make that team worse.

Wolves cancel practice and media availabilities, and someone thinks Jimmy Butler started to go diva after making friends with Marky Mark:

https://deadspin.com/wolves-cancel-todays-practice-block-out-media-and-wer-1829682678

There was insight sought from a Chicago media person who had watched Butler from the start of his career. The suggestion was that Jimmy came into the league driven by his underdog status, and that changed a few years later when he started hanging out with Wahlberg and seeing himself as a star.

The feeling in Chicago was that Butler’s game stopped growing three, four years ago, as his head grew ever larger.

15 hours ago, Relic said:

Houston reportedly turned down an offer of Butler for  Gordon and Tucker. Ummm mmmm.... What?? 

Morey probably put that out there to make people think the Rockets are actually in this.  He does this every time someone is available, regardless of whether or not a deal is realistic. 

20 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

So tonight the Raps 905 (G league team) plus Siakam, Anunoby, and CJ Miles beat the Pelicans playing their full roster (AD played 31 mins).  Are the Pels that bad?

I don't think there's much point in taking anything away from preseason games.  It's mostly just guys getting back into playing shape and getting used to working with their new teammates, along with teams solidifying who their end of bench guys are.

CBSSports Ranking the starting 5

...and the benches

They've got the C's at #2 for the starting line up behind GS and at #1 for the bench.  They're at 5-1 for the title but I'm still scared - mostly because of what the first 5 minutes last year gave us.  Hoping beyond hope that Smart spent 19 hours a day over the summer improving his shooting, not just practicing.

The reason Morey can’t make that deal is discounts. If guys take less to play for you to help the team and you turn around and trade them, don’t ever expect a discount again. Especially if the discount is good friends with the head of the player’s union and your star pg. 

If anyone would say ‘fuck it’ and do this anyways it’s Morey, but I’m hoping he doesn’t. For reasons I still don’t really get, the Rockets are often high on the list of where nba guys want to play and this would pretty much kill that.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:52 PM, Greywolf2375 said:

CBSSports Ranking the starting 5

...and the benches

They've got the C's at #2 for the starting line up behind GS and at #1 for the bench.  They're at 5-1 for the title but I'm still scared - mostly because of what the first 5 minutes last year gave us.  Hoping beyond hope that Smart spent 19 hours a day over the summer improving his shooting, not just practicing.

Interesting.

Remarkable what a poor team the Magic and the Knicks have. Knicks actually seem to get worse each year.

Magic keep getting high picks and don't improve.

Suns look a lot better than last year. 

Bulls: I hope we will see string stuff from Parker and laVine in particular.

Cavs at 23 seems a little low to me LoL. 

Couple of very anonymous looking teams in there, the Nets, Hornets, Clippers, Grizzlies.

Wizards are an intriguing team to me.

Someone called Damian Jones is expected to start for Golden State I see...

Boogie and Draymond:  Brothers from another mother

"I pop over to his house quite a bit," Green said with a smile. "We live right there. I just walk in his kitchen and just go to the house. And then I call him and tell him I’m in his house. Yeah, multiple times."

Said Cousins: "I’m like, ‘What the hell?’ But, I mean, I wouldn’t expect anything less from him. Honestly, I would do the same s— to him."

:lol: 

I can see that happening.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Y'all remember last december when i said Jason Taytum was the next Kevin Durant and y'all laughed at me? I bet you don't, but i do :P

What a beast

Shhhhh don't curse him. ;)

Jaylen Brown's staredown of Embiid after getting the reverba-dunk on him was gutsy.

Durant? I don’t see it at all. His game is completely different. I think the correct player comparison would be Grant Hill before he got hurt.

And if the Celtics were smart they’d either send him or Brown plus Rozier and picks to the Pelicans for AD.  

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Durant? I don’t see it at all. His game is completely different. I think the correct player comparison would be Grant Hill before he got hurt.

And if the Celtics were smart they’d either send him or Brown plus Rozier and picks to the Pelicans for AD.  

If they were smart they would wait for free agency. Never understood the trade assets now, when you could wait mentality. 

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If they were smart they would wait for free agency. Never understood the trade assets now, when you could wait mentality. 

Every situation is different. If AD was a FA at the end of the year, sure, but he’s not. Then consider that L.A. is where a lot of people think he will go to. If Boston gets him now, they can offer a lot more money while also offering  securing at least two years of his prime. And lastly there’s no way Boston can keep all of their assets. And none of their assets outside of Tatum have anything close to the upside of AD. He’s a top 5 player. Kyrie and Hayward are All-Stars, but they’ll never be top 10. Davis has the potential to be the best player in the NBA. If New Orleans would take Brown, Rozier and two first round picks for him, you do that deal in a heartbeat and hope Davis stays healthy and resigns for five years.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well, if they want to wait until at least 2020, they can do that.  

All I know is that we've seen plenty of teams try to wait for free agency to sign star players only for them to be traded somewhere else first and re-sign there.  

48 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Boston will be over the cap by the time AD becomes a free agent if, as expected, they resign Kyrie next summer. So signing him as a free agent won't be an option. 

Even if you discount that, waiting is always a dangerous game.  Kevin Love was a mortal lock to go to the Lakers five or six years ago.  Now it's looking like he's going to retire a Cavalier.  You let guys get traded elsewhere and you never know how much they might like their new home.  

3 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

It's still kind of remarkable to me that Portland finished 3rd in the West last year as this list has them with the same unit as last year at #15, and when you actually look at it, that doesn't seem wrong to me.  How could a team with the 15th best starting lineup that also has an unremarkable bench have ever finished 3rd in the West?  I suppose it's worth pointing out that the distance between 3 and 8 was negligible, but still.

Well, as you said, the difference in wins were negligible. I think it would make more sense if you compared it to their expected win total instead of seeding position. How much did they overperform or other teams underperform relative to expectations?

I wonder who will miss out on the playoffs in the West this season. Assuming Lebron drags the Lakers there, that's one team less. The Nuggets were one game back last season, so if they are able to make it, that's another team gone. :fencing:

Archived