NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

Since the end goal of any sports team (beyond just "make money for the owner") is to win a title, I tend to think that basically any deal is worth it if you win one. No matter how badly you botch the future, its worth it if you get a title out of it. The only exception is if you can credibly argue that a team sacrificed extremely good odds of multiple future titles for a single current title. And I don't think you could do that in this case, because of so much uncertainty of what the true final value of a draft pick will yield and because of how short title windows are usually open for in the NBA.

11 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

It depends on your perspective doesn't it? There are a lot of championship or bust people out there who would accept 10 years of irrelevance as the cost of a title. 

Are the Rockets able to resign Butler though? I can't imagine what their salary cap situation looks like.

This. Unless you're a Colts fan, no-one is hanging banners for getting close. It always bugs me when an elite contender doesn't do everything possible to get over that final hurdle. Like OKC cashing out on Harden before his final year for future pieces after making the Finals the year before. 

Also, regarding Morey, under his stewardship the Rockets have been consistently good to very good for over a decade but haven't won a thing. He, more than anyone, should be pushing all his chips to the center of his table. And if Houston fires him for that, Wizards for the love of God, please make him a Godfather offer. 

So after a little over a week's play, we have 0 and 4 Thunder and 0 and 5 Cleveland Cavaliers on the one hand, and on the other hand the 6-0 Raptors, 5 and 0 Bucks, and 4 and 0 Pelicans and Pistons.

I am not surprised by the Thunder, sadly.

BTW: Holy Fuck, Anthony Davis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR3pKi-PP4o

20 hours ago, Triskele said:

This is interesting to ponder.  Presumably there is a price that is too high, but I don't know exactly where it is.  I cannot even fathom the joy I would experience if the Portland Trailblazers won just one NBA title.  I am 38 and my parents are both pushing 70 and in good health, and I think there is virtually no chance that this happens in my lifetime.  So I'm sympathetic to the "just get a title" argument.  

That said, I wonder if the calculus changes for different markets.  If you're a Portland or a Sacramento or a Milwaukee maybe you go gangbusters for any chance, one chance (cue Braveheart speech) at that title.  But if you're the Lakers or someone maybe you should be way more sensitive to blowing a decade of dominance with the chance at multiples when compared to just getting one short-term.

Almost invokes the discussion we hear about with corporate America when we talk about CEO incentives and how they're way too focused on gains in the next few months/years. etc...

I think this is most commonly a concern in MLB actually, where trades are usually of minor leaguers/young players, rather than draft picks, there's more knowledge of what the player is worth than of what a draft pick is, and because baseball is the most common sport where it takes multiple years before players become valuable contributors to a team. It's not the same dynamic in the NBA or NFL.

I think the difference among teams are true too; the longer the title drought, the more it becomes worth to make greater sacrifices.

Though this is all at the margins, most trades that result in a title will always be worth it.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

So after a little over a week's play, we have 0 and 4 Thunder and 0 and 5 Cleveland Cavaliers on the one hand, and on the other hand the 6-0 Raptors, 5 and 0 Bucks, and 4 and 0 Pelicans and Pistons.

I am not surprised by the Thunder, sadly.

BTW: Holy Fuck, Anthony Davis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR3pKi-PP4o

And the Bucks and Raps play Monday night in Milwaukee, which has seen its fair share of visitors.

EDIT:  as to the proposed Houston trade my problem with it is I don't think it gets the Rockets past the Warriors.  And so killing your future for nothing.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How long before a warrior does 50 pts from 3 point shots alone? 

Klay needed three more to do it. He could have if he got his normal minutes. I still can't believe this stat, but I've seen it reported in a few places:

Klay officially played 27 minutes. He only touched the ball for 96 seconds. 

He scored 52 points in 96 seconds???

:blink:

4 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Klay needed three more to do it. He could have if he got his normal minutes. I still can't believe this stat, but I've seen it reported in a few places:

He is amazing at catch and shoots. He goes up instantly. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/klay-thompson-only-needs-0-79-seconds-to-beat-you/

Anyway, he probably played just enough to break the record. They were 40 points up at half time, so they probably didn't need to put their starters in for the second half.

It reminds me of pole vaulted Sergei Bubka. He would deliberately only break world record by 1cm at a time as you got bonuses whenever you did it. Here the bonus is the kudos of trading the record with a team mate and giving publicity to the team.

12 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

He did that in a fucking playoff game once too. ridiculous shooting ability from that guy, makes you wonder what he'd be like playing on a different team

17 minutes ago, Relic said:

I mean....that is so fucking obvious...the league should suspend this douchebag for 4 games to send a message. 

More than four. The NBA has at least seven, maybe up to nine marquee players, and Russ is certainly one of them. Given the history, I’d hit him with at least 10.  

He denies of course, he said he was just a (  piece of shit) going for a loose ball, it happens.

And yet his head makes a very obvious attempt to collide with Russ' knees, something which he tried last year as well and failed to injure him, after the first attempt was of course successful.

11 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Terrible. Beverly made no effort to go for the ball. He just dove straight at Westbrook's knees. He needs to be paid back heavily by the league for that shit.

I can see the argument that hard fouls, even hard fouls that are merely to "send a message" rather than possibly get the ball have a place in the NBA.  I'm not sure I'd agree, but I can see it. 

This is totally different.  Straight up trying to injure opposing players is totally unacceptable, and the fact that three different times he has dove into Westbrook's knees is a pattern.  I would have suspended him after the second time, and this time, I'd go with something incredibly punitive, like a 20 game ban or something. 

Speaking of hard fouls, Beverly should be expecting them the next time they play. If I'm coaching the Thunder, I'd pull the 7 foot pirate with the gold tooth aside after the pregame film session and show him some extra tape of Bill Laimbeer.

Archived