More Things Star Wars

Jaxom 1974

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I was just thinking that. The Maul vs Obi one was so like a Samurai film is was just, dare I say, awesomesauce.

It was definitely much better than I remember at the theater. I don't know if I had even watched the movie all the way through more than once since then, until the other night. Unfortunately I will need to rewatch AoTC at some point this year. If I remember correctly it was worse than TPM.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

It was definitely much better than I remember at the theater. I don't know if I had even watched the movie all the way through more than once since then, until the other night. Unfortunately I will need to rewatch AoTC at some point this year. If I remember correctly it was worse than TPM.

We were actually talking about the final, final fight which takes place somewhere else. I don't know if you've watched any of the animated shows.

13 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

We were actually talking about the final, final fight which takes place somewhere else. I don't know if you've watched any of the animated shows.

I was commenting back on my post regarding TPM. I tried to watch the animated series and just couldn't do it. I may try again as I have a bunch of seasons on a hard drive someone made for me.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I was commenting back on my post regarding TPM. I tried to watch the animated series and just couldn't do it. I may try again as I have a bunch of seasons on a hard drive someone made for me.

If the parts of 'Rebels' I've seen are any indication the lightsaber fights in the animated shows are more stylized and almost reminiscent of the Kotor combat.

In a good way. I really liked it.

I very marginally prefer the duel in TESB to the RotJ one. I think the tension is fantastic - it’s the first time Luke and Vader have directly interacted, and it’s the first time Luke has used his lightsaber against a real person (wampas and apparitions aside). It’s such a different end to the first film as well. Rather than saving the day against the odds and getting a medal from a princess, Luke has the crap beaten out of him physically and emotionally and barely escapes with his life.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:58 AM, drawkcabi said:

It's only pathetic when caring about it becomes all consuming. I never got the whole calling nerds out for caring about the things they like as long as it does not go too far like wearing a Starfleet uniform to jury duty or going crazy at a fast food chain over Rick and Morty sauce or calling for a boycott of Star Wars. There you wade into pathetic territory.

Otherwise expressing opinions on something you are or have been enthusiastic, no I don't count that as pathetic.

Even the whole "you ruined my childhood" meme I get as an exaggerated short hand for what they really mean. They never actually mean that, at least I sure hope most don't. I know I never did when I used that phrase. Fans want new stories in their favorite franchises, but they don't want any of it to make what comes before feel sullied (see Indiana Jones 4) or less important (Ghostbusters 2016). I don't think that's pathetic and I don't think it's a hard thing to do for film makers, writers, producers, etc to avoid doing if they are also appreciative and care about the source material, at least for the majority of fans who really do want to like the new stuff, again, there's always the excessive fans, the ones nothing ever pleases them and they'll always complain beyond a point of healthy involvement.

Star Wars needs to move on from Han, Luck, and Leia's story but I got news for you, the 2 billion that The Force Awakens earned was made because of seeing Han, Chewie and the Millenium Falcon, The X Wing Fighters, and all the other call backs to the OT. Let the story move on but some fans got a sour taste in their mouths when they felt the events in the OT were not meaningful or as meaningful as it had been.

I try to avoid Ben Shapiro like the plague. I also have my own theory that a bunch of the "we-hates-the-womens" fans were never real Star Wars fans or casual fans at best, some are, I know, and that's disappointing, but I think a good portion are just the incel, misogynist, mgtows losers whatever that jump on the bandwagon only because they see a chance to advance their agenda.

I'm with him.

https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-star-wars-fans-jar-jar-binks/

One of the problems of the prequels was that they came out in the era when cool-looking fights were all the rage. This was near the time of the Matrix and when kung fu movies were becoming back in vogue, and fight choreography mattered a whole lot.

As it turns out, this is a shitty way to make anything other than something cool looking. That's great for the Matrix and fine for a movie showcasing cool fight scenes, but bad when you want your fights to actually tell a story. TESB and ROTJ did that well - while the fight choreography wasn't particularly special, the fight story was. 

Compare this to AotC or RotS, and it's apparent how bad it is. TPM was at least closer, with interesting stylistic pauses, but it still didn't hold the emotive candle to the rest. TFA and TLJ did, by comparison, an absurdly better job - the fights were more interesting, but more importantly they were far better at telling the story. 

34 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Jesus fucking christ.

I'd rather stab myself in the eyes and ears than watch a 27 minute of some guy sitting on the floor of his basement while droning on.

... Unless it is a 27 minute loop of the Hoff eating a cheeseburger.

49 minutes ago, Week said:

I'd rather stab myself in the eyes and ears than watch a 27 minute of some guy sitting on the floor of his basement while droning on.

... Unless it is a 27 minute loop of the Hoff eating a cheeseburger.

Well, who doesn't like that?

I just read through some comments.  The comment section of that video is like a blackout in dipshit bingo.

"Kathleen Kenndy, blah blah blah"

"SJW blah blah blah"

THMATHSCH THE BEETULS!  THMATHSCH EM!  KUH!  KUH!

15 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Well, who doesn't like that?

I just read through some comments.  The comment section of that video is like a blackout in dipshit bingo.

"Kathleen Kenndy, blah blah blah"

"SJW blah blah blah"

THMATHSCH THE BEETULS!  THMATHSCH EM!  KUH!  KUH!

you forgot about THE PANSEXUALS AND THE LIBERAL TURNING FROGS GAY

Based on James Mangold's rant about 'fans' ruining star wars and cinema in general I'm guessing he's been told the Boba Fett movie has been shelved. He makes some valid points though particularly regarding shared universe franchises.

Archived