More Things Star Wars

Jaxom 1974

To be fair a Boba Fett movie has always sounded like a bullshit idea. Not enough character or interest to drive a whole film about the guy.

The Obi-Wan movie sounds like it has potential, though, especially if they went low-budget on it and had him being drawn into some story in the wastelands on Tatooine. Go Logan or something on it.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

To be fair a Boba Fett movie has always sounded like a bullshit idea. Not enough character or interest to drive a whole film about the guy.

The Obi-Wan movie sounds like it has potential, though, especially if they went low-budget on it and had him being drawn into some story in the wastelands on Tatooine. Go Logan or something on it.

I wouldn't be against a Boba Fett as the villain in an Obi-Wan movie. If you're not gonna retconn the stupid out of Ep. 2, you can roll with the idea that Obi got Fett's daddy killed.

Sure, that's rolling with the dumbest of Lucas' sins against the coolness of Fett, but that ship is sailed and there's worse ways to structure a film.

I never understood the popularity of Boba Fett. Sure, he had a cool ship, his daddy gave him a cool ship,  but other than Slave 1, I just never got it. Now, Bossk, that was a real bounty hunter.

6 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I never understood the popularity of Boba Fett. Sure, he had a cool ship, his daddy gave him a cool ship,  but other than Slave 1, I just never got it. Now, Bossk, that was a real bounty hunter.

The coolest thing about Fett was that you could build him up in your mind, projecting on a blank slate.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

Based on James Mangold's rant about 'fans' ruining star wars and cinema in general I'm guessing he's been told the Boba Fett movie has been shelved. He makes some valid points though particularly regarding shared universe franchises.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

and James Gunn. And someone else I'm forgetting. Petyon Reed maybe?

I only just saw the James Mangold story.  Valid points indeed.

22 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Except for the fact that he was off somewhere else looking for the Falcon with all the rest of the hunters (except for Boba Fett) that fell for Han’s ruse. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Except for the fact that he was off somewhere else looking for the Falcon with all the rest of the hunters (except for Boba Fett) that fell for Han’s ruse. 

Boba Fett doesn't track bounties.

He becomes bounties.

30 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

That's what Boba Fett wants you to believe. He actually f'd up  got lost and floated away with the rest of the junk. Luckily Han and Chewie were able to point him in the right direction.

40 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Bounty hunter, battle scarred armor, jet pack, having to be told by Darth no disintegrations...

I personally always loved him. 

Dude wore light grey coveralls,  a unique welding helmet and the Ford Pinto equivalent of a jet pack.

55 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The coolest thing about Fett was that you could build him up in your mind, projecting on a blank slate.

Too busy building myself up in my mind. :) 

For me it's Darth Vaders Tie fighter or an X wing. Neither is the best or fastest but nostalgia probably wins out. Never was a huge fan of the Falcon like others are. Overall I's say AT AT's, Lukes' landspeeder, (hey who doesn't like a drop top in the summer!) and Mauls motorcycle are my top non space ships.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:03 AM, Werthead said:

The "defeating Kylo Ren with no effort" thing is also outright bullshit. Ren had just been shot by Chewie's bowcaster, was bleeding all over the place, was probably a bit PTSDed out from just killing his dad and he was suffering additional injuries from Finn (First Order Stormtroopers are specifically trained to fight Jedi in melee combat, as shown earlier on in the "TRAITOR!" scene), plus Ren was trying to capture or disable Rey, not kill her.

Just to support this, they even had this dialogue

Ren: I killed Han Solo. When the moment came, I didn't hesitate!
Snoke: And look at you. The deed split your spirit to the bone. You were unbalanced, bested by a girl who had never held a lightsaber! You failed!!

I think its reasonable to argue they didn't make it clear enough that these things were impeding him, I would disagree but its at least an argument, but claiming that they didn't have an intended justification for it is not.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:14 PM, drawkcabi said:

After The Last Jedi, many became disgruntled with Rey because it seemed she was upstaging the legacy characters not having the torch passed to her by them. Many fans resented this and it also caused them to reevaluate her role in The Force Awakens as well and not to her benefit.

I honestly don't understand the upstaging idea, it just makes no sense to me unless the only metric for a characters arc in a movie is how well they acquit themself in combat. I can understand, but disagree with, people that weren't happy with the state we find Luke in, but the people that hate the end of his arc in the movie just completely confuse me. The emotional impact of that goodbye to Leia was enormous, and when he sat up on the rock staring into the twin suns I just lost it.

Luke in ROTJ beat Vader and almost lost himself, his triumph there is coloured by how close he was to defeat. By contrast he walks out as an astral projection and faces down the might of the first order by himself, he doesn't lift a finger in violence and he accomplishes what he set out to do - saving his sister and the remnant of the resistance, and reigniting the rebellion. It's the single biggest act of a true jedi we've seen in all the movies, and stands in contrast to the mistakes of the prequel jedi. He didn't just let the rebellion escape though, he utterly humiliated the First Order generally, and Kylo Ren specifically, in a very public way. Ren already has major loyalty issues, Hux fears his power only when its around his neck - he doesn't fear him the way he did Snoke and will turn on him with the slightest opportunity. His grasp on the First Order was already weak and Luke made it that much weaker.

I didn't see anyone mention that Mark Hamill has changed his mind on Luke's place in TLJ. He's said he's of the hippy generation, that he believed peace and love would change the world and couldn't see that Luke wouldn't share it. The last few years have changed his mind and he now accepts how that optimism could be lost leading to despair. I'm not exactly happy it happened, but given his earlier opposition had been raised as a reason Luke's arc was a poor idea it seems relevant. Go 2016-2018?

19 hours ago, dbunting said:

Oh, count me in the minority who thought his ship wasn't that cool.

Yeah, I've always thought Boba Fett was a cool character but that's basically because of what Jace mentioned above: he's pretty much a blank slate.  So, I also agree that there's probably not enough there to carry a movie.

And, agreed, I always thought Slave I looked kinda dumb:)  

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

OH and I found this an insightful read

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1016778646655123456?s=20

Sorry for the double quote but I agree that's insightful.

It's Nietzsche all the way:

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Archived