More Things Star Wars

Jaxom 1974

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I love TLJ but I feel the Canto Bight stuff needed better editing.

That's true.

But it also suffered from needing more time and space to breathe.  If it was the opening sequence if Episode IX, in a ROTJ parallel...?  

It was a weaker point of the movie.  But also, again, Finn is a character without a rudder or backstory other than stormtrooper janitor who runs away and we'd only just met Rose.  Poorly executed or not, at least Rose came out of there with a little more characterization than Finn. And he's now had two movies...

The editing needed Canto Bite to not happen at all. The whole thing is useless and prequel-esque in a film that already creaks under the weight of weird decision making.

But when we go down that road we see the need to take away the shit idea of the whole cruiser escape plotline.

If it was me, I would have put the Red Salt planet stuff at the beginning. Have Poe and Finn leading a last stand, holding out for reinforcements. Carrie shows up to save them, dies with grace during evacuation being a hero, then we can have Rey's plot sync up from there as Finn and Poe (and Rose) are the final people to leave the planet.

Y'know, exactly like ESB. Because if that's what you're doing. Just fucking do it.

5 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Ren cant do that much damage, he’s not very powerful, is rubbish with his ridiculous looking lightsaber and is too prone to foolish emotional outbursts. In fact the only thing he’s strong in is embarrassing himself, to the degree that even I want the resistance to win!.

Oh come now Lord Sidious, I never saw you stop a blaster bolt in midair. Ren can do flashy inconsequential things, you can just do flashy lethal things.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I don't think so. It's solely the Siege of Mandalore arc which I think was planned to be 4-6 episodes at the end of Season 6. It'd be nice to complete those episodes as well to give us a complete Season 6. Maybe later if this mini-series is successful?

I'm so happy with this news, Filoni laying out what would have been the last arc of TCW with Ahsoka back in it made me so sad that they didn't get to bring it to life, I hope Disney throws a budget at it to make it the stand out example of what they can do in the medium. The episodes with the civil war in Mandalore were already some of the more visually spectacular things I've seen.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I love TLJ but I feel the Canto Bight stuff needed better editing.

I was watching a video that talked about this a couple of nights ago - he suggested that intercutting between Canto Bight and Rey's stuff with Ren/the dark cave etc might have resulted in better pacing for Canto Bight but acknowledged it may have hurt the impact of the Rey stuff and it's hard to know if that trade off would have been worth it without being the person cutting the film together.

Well that was a pleasant surprise! They did a great job keeping that under wraps. Although I should have known it was odd that filoni seemed to be ending his run with rebels. I know he has the new series but it looks a different style. Makes me sense if he's actually finishing clone wars.

The trailer is great. When the characters walk out the hangar bay I got chills. It looks like the animation has been taken up a level regarding detail so this is probably going to look great. Makes up for Disney essentially canning the show when they bought lucasfilm.

Disney are really going to make it hard for star wars fans to resist their streaming service.

14 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Ren cant do that much damage, he’s not very powerful, is rubbish with his ridiculous looking lightsaber and is too prone to foolish emotional outbursts. In fact the only thing he’s strong in is embarrassing himself, to the degree that even I want the resistance to win!.

He can stop a blaster shot mid, er, blast, make people do what he wants (and make them fall unconscious), he's pretty handy with a lightsaber, he can withstand a shot from a bowcaster (which killed other people), and he doesn't seem to mind hurting and killing people.  The Dark Side is so strong in him, Luke ran away!  He could easily be the Vader he wants to be.

12 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Awful is a strong word. It’s not necessary, and is a bit clumsy, but it wasn't as long as it originally felt when I watched it a second and third time. I don’t deny that it could have been handled better though.

I think it was conceptually sound, and tied in well thematically with the whole ‘spark that keeps the Rebellion burning’ thing, but the execution could have been better. And the whole sequence felt awkward due to the short space of time the film occurred in. I’m not sure how I’d have fixed that, but I certainly didn’t hate the sequence entirely or think it was  without point or merit

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

Oh come now Lord Sidious, I never saw you stop a blaster bolt in midair. Ren can do flashy inconsequential things, you can just do flashy lethal things.

Stopping a blaster bolt in mid air is clearly child’s play if Ren can do it :P, he couldn’t even defeat an untrained apprentice in a duel, I managed to kill 3 Jedi masters, throw Mace Windu out of a window and make Yoda flee for his life,all, I might add without throwing a temper tantrum. 

Viva la resistance!, the First Order are an unfunny joke !.

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

He can stop a blaster shot mid, er, blast, make people do what he wants (and make them fall unconscious), he's pretty handy with a lightsaber, he can withstand a shot from a bowcaster (which killed other people), and he doesn't seem to mind hurting and killing people.  The Dark Side is so strong in him, Luke ran away!  He could easily be the Vader he wants to be.

Good with a lightsaber?, he’d have trouble fighting off a Jedi Yongling he’s that bad with one!, yet alone a Sith or Jedi whocis actally strong with the Force.

Ren is like the Dark Side equivalent of Coldplay, loads of fans but overhyped and not very good.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think it was conceptually sound, and tied in well thematically with the whole ‘spark that keeps the Rebellion burning’ thing, but the execution could have been better. And the whole sequence felt awkward due to the short space of time the film occurred in. I’m not sure how I’d have fixed that, but I certainly didn’t hate the sequence entirely or think it was  without point or merit

One of my main complaints with this movie is this, as for one, it condenses the universe to this small part of it, and two, it was set up with a plot hole (why did the Resistance ships drop out of lightspeed in the middle of nowhere, though clearly near enough a planet that had an old rebel base. We've never seen ships intent on going somewhere drop out millions of miles away from their destination. And at that point, they had no idea they were being tracked, so there is no logical reason why they did that). 

At the risk of sounding like one of those people who wants to scrap TLJ and re-write the whole thing, I would have liked the chase sequence to be across several star systems. Limited fuel can still be a plot device, and they could have incorporated the need to find allies into this arc. They go planet to planet, with fuel getting lower, and no way to shake off the pursuit, hoping to find allies. But wherever they go, they find none, because people are too afraid and too pessimistic that the Resistance has a chance of standing up to the First Order. This would have been a good setup to a great payoff at the end, on Crait, where Luke essentially defeats Kylo Ren, and the First Order spectacularly fails to eliminate a small band of rebels. (The movie had a good number of setups and payoffs)

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Good with a lightsaber?, he’d have trouble fighting off a Jedi Yongling he’s that bad with one!, yet alone a Sith or Jedi whocis actally strong with the Force.

Ren is like the Dark Side equivalent of Coldplay, loads of fans but overhyped and not very good.

When has he not been good with a lightsaber?  When he was fighting Finn and Rey in TFA?  He was injured then.  I think he was toying with Finn, and dispatched him pretty quickly when Finn got a lucky hit.  And I don't think he was trying to kill Rey - he was mostly toying with her too, up until he foolishly reminded her about the Force ...

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

When has he not been good with a lightsaber?  When he was fighting Finn and Rey in TFA?  He was injured then.  I think he was toying with Finn, and dispatched him pretty quickly when Finn got a lucky hit.  And I don't think he was trying to kill Rey - he was mostly toying with her too, up until he foolishly reminded her about the Force ...

His ability with a lightsaber has been pretty rubbish so far, he’d not last two minutes in a duel against the likes of Obi Wan or Ashoka, probably about 2 seconds against Sidious,Yoda or Anakin, he’s a petulant, emotional wreck, without the ability in the Force to back it up with, as demonstrated when an astral projection of Luke made him look stupid in front of his troops. I stand by my stance that he’s an embarrassment to the Dark Side.

Yeah - I can't really deny that!

It's a shame, because Adam Driver is great in the role, and there was so much potential in a Vader-wannabe, and with his relationship with Rey in TLJ.  But they just dialled up the petulance to eleven, which doesn't make me very optimistic for IX. 

21 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ren is EASILY the coolest force user we've seen if you force me to include the prequel effect. 

5th best if compared to the Holy Trilogy alone.

How does the prequel effect affect Luke and/or Leia? And you don't like prequel Obi-Wan? But he has the high ground.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

How does the prequel effect affect Luke and/or Leia? And you don't like prequel Obi-Wan? But he has the high ground.

Any association at all with the prequels is damning. INFANCY IS NOT AN EXCUSE

50 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Yeah - I can't really deny that!

It's a shame, because Adam Driver is great in the role, and there was so much potential in a Vader-wannabe, and with his relationship with Rey in TLJ.  But they just dialled up the petulance to eleven, which doesn't make me very optimistic for IX. 

He’s a very good actor, unfortunately the character just isn’t to me, his instability, petulance and lack of power just put me off him completely, I actually much prefer Rey as a character, a powerful Sith she should become!.

4 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

He’s a very good actor, unfortunately the character just isn’t to me, his instability, petulance and lack of power just put me off him completely, I actually much prefer Rey as a character, a powerful Sith she should become!.

I don't believe you're the real Lord Sidious. All I see is a big L for the avatar. Though perhaps, considering events at Endor, that is appropriate. :P

Archived