More Things Star Wars

Jaxom 1974

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

So I guess Phasma really died? No Darth Maul switcheroo "AHA!" I survived?

I was kind of hoping they'd fulfill on the promise of her badassery. The character was treated in a pretty meh fashion thus far.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I wanted her to come back all burned and fucked up in like an evil robot suit.

'Member how Gwedoline Christie was all over the promotional campaign for TFA. They did her dirty.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have cut the character from my final edit entirely for being fucking lame. But don't have her talking about displaying a 'strong leader, and a powerful woman' at my gas pump. That's just cruel.

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

So I guess Phasma really died? No Darth Maul switcheroo "AHA!" I survived?

I was kind of hoping they'd fulfill on the promise of her badassery. The character was treated in a pretty meh fashion thus far.

They made her into a happens tool. Loses control of one of her soldiers, who turns full traitor, then gets herself taken hostage and forced to capitulate into a terrible betrayal of her army. She got a little chance for redemption in the second but still got beaten in the end. What a waste of Gwendolyn Christie.

48 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

They made her into a happens tool. Loses control of one of her soldiers, who turns full traitor, then gets herself taken hostage and forced to capitulate into a terrible betrayal of her army. She got a little chance for redemption in the second but still got beaten in the end. What a waste of Gwendolyn Christie.

It may only be minor compensation, but at least she's going to be the main villain on Star Wars: Resistance, which should at least give her a lot more to do (alas only voice-wise, but still).

I can't find an official source for this, but according to this article https://www.themarysue.com/star-wars-skywalker-saga-end/ IX will conclude the Skywalker Saga.

I think this was George Lucas' original plan, wasn't it?  Although VII, VIII and IX are not how he would have done it.

I will be saddened if Kylo Ren is the last Skywalker.  Yet another reason I wish Rey was Luke's daughter: Luke's daughter and Leia's son could have moved Star Wars on by finding a new way in the Force.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:34 AM, Werthead said:

It may only be minor compensation, but at least she's going to be the main villain on Star Wars: Resistance, which should at least give her a lot more to do (alas only voice-wise, but still).

Her character may wind up like Boba Fett in the sense people imagine all the cool things she might have done which, as you say, might bleed into other media. Or she may be another general grievous.

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I can't find an official source for this, but according to this article https://www.themarysue.com/star-wars-skywalker-saga-end/ IX will conclude the Skywalker Saga.

I think this was George Lucas' original plan, wasn't it?  Although VII, VIII and IX are not how he would have done it.

I will be saddened if Kylo Ren is the last Skywalker.  Yet another reason I wish Rey was Luke's daughter: Luke's daughter and Leia's son could have moved Star Wars on by finding a new way in the Force.

I like the idea that it's not some medieval inheritance set up. Rey can continue the Skywalker legacy without having to be a Skywalker. She trained with him.

I suspect this will only be the end of the Skywalker saga until Disney decides to make another one. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I like the idea that it's not some medieval inheritance set up. Rey can continue the Skywalker legacy without having to be a Skywalker. She trained with him.

I don't understand the "bloodline" concerns some people have.  The only Jedi/Sith I'm aware of (in the new canon) where their family connections matter are Luke, Leia and Kylo Ren - nobody else comes from  a "special family".  I thought the trilogies were supposed to be about the Skywalkers - there are plenty of non-Skywalker stories out there.  It just seems a bit of a sad note to end on if Kylo Ren is the last of them.

And didn't Rey essentially reject Luke's training?  He was trying to tell her the Jedi were wrong, and he hadn't even read the Jedi texts!  ;)  But then he calls her the last Jedi at the end.  Once again I wish Rey and Ren had found a "third way", maybe because of Luke's disillusionment with the Jedi.

I don't understand the "bloodline" concerns some people have.  The only Jedi/Sith I'm aware of (in the new canon) where their family connections matter are Luke, Leia and Kylo Ren - nobody else comes from  a "special family".

This is a weird sort of response. The concerns are definitely not about there being more than one dynasty in the films. Quite the reverse. 

Maybe I didn't explain that right!

I've read that some people are glad Rey isn't a Skywalker because they perceived the Skywalkers as the Force Family, and they liked the idea of a non-Skywalker taking centre stage.  That's why they like the boy with the broom at the end of TLJ - an ordinary person can be a Jedi.  But I don't think it's ever been suggested in Star Wars that normal people can't be Jedi.  Every other Jedi but Luke, came from non-Force families (I haven't read/seen any extended material - so that might not be strictly true, but in the films it is).  The Skywalker dynasty seems a bit overblown to me anyway - it's only three generations and four people!  

So my badly conveyed point was that I don't mind (and would prefer) if Rey is a Skywalker.  I don't need her to be a "normal person" because pretty much every other Jedi is/was.  And I thought the trilogies were about the Skywalkers, so it makes sense to me that she would be one.  If she isn't, the line ends with Kylo Ren - unless IX is about him fathering twins ...

But I don't think it's ever been suggested in Star Wars that normal people can't be Jedi. 

Yeah, but nobody's arguing otherwise. Right from the start, there have been non-Skywalker Jedi.

The complaint is that the really important Jedi, the most powerful ones linked most closely to the Force, whose destiny is bound up with it, are all Skywalkers.

10 minutes ago, mormont said:

Yeah, but nobody's arguing otherwise. Right from the start, there have been non-Skywalker Jedi.

The complaint is that the really important Jedi, the most powerful ones linked most closely to the Force, whose destiny is bound up with it, are all Skywalkers.

But I thought that that was because these trilogies were about the Skywalkers - they are the Skywalker Trilogies.  

I guess what we need is non-Skywalker Jedi films.

It could also be about the Skywalker family without them all being special force users too.

It just feels a bit too incestuous how a family line from two siblings could be the cause of a lot of chaos in the galaxy. I think if the family line was more established like a house stark/lannister it would be easier to swallow as there's more of them to begin with. 

It'd be excusable if the force was genetic but after midichlorians I think this was abandoned in star wars.

20 minutes ago, red snow said:

It could also be about the Skywalker family without them all being special force users too.

It just feels a bit too incestuous how a family line from two siblings could be the cause of a lot of chaos in the galaxy. I think if the family line was more established like a house stark/lannister it would be easier to swallow as there's more of them to begin with. 

It'd be excusable if the force was genetic but after midichlorians I think this was abandoned in star wars.

Unless that's the point of the story.

Because Anakin's dad was the Force, his children and grandchildren were destined to be uber powerful and overly influential. 

39 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Because Anakin's dad was the Force, his children and grandchildren were destined to be uber powerful and overly influential. 

I heard he never once sent child support. 

While it makes for a simple story arc to string films together my point is that a sense of familial destiny/rights is something that doesn't sit well with me. Because in the real world it is something that has been abused. Although I guess 2 out of 4 Skywalker's have been very bad news so the films aren't really saying it's a good thing

But I thought that that was because these trilogies were about the Skywalkers - they are the Skywalker Trilogies.  

Indeed: Anakin, Luke and Kylo Ren are all of the Skywalker line of descent. Rey is interesting as she is the co-focus (or maybe even slightly more of a focus) of the new trilogy as Ren, which may be a sign of this being the end of the Skywalker story and others are now taking on important roles, or something.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

While it makes for a simple story arc to string films together my point is that a sense of familial destiny/rights is something that doesn't sit well with me. Because in the real world it is something that has been abused. Although I guess 2 out of 4 Skywalker's have been very bad news so the films aren't really saying it's a good thing

I don't mind the trilogies focusing on this one family, the origins and legacy of Darth Vader, as way of telling story about the Jedi and the Sith.  And I'm not sure it's about rights exactly - it's just how each generation has dealt with the Force.  And, like you say, this family has produced, overall, more Force darkness than light.   

Are there other families that have generations of Force users, like the Skywalkers?  I always assumed it was more likely that a Force user's offspring would also be Force-sensitive - but I am just going by the Skywalkers, and Anakin's origins maybe the anomaly there.

16 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I don't mind the trilogies focusing on this one family, the origins and legacy of Darth Vader, as way of telling story about the Jedi and the Sith.  And I'm not sure it's about rights exactly - it's just how each generation has dealt with the Force.  And, like you say, this family has produced, overall, more Force darkness than light.   

Are there other families that have generations of Force users, like the Skywalkers?  I always assumed it was more likely that a Force user's offspring would also be Force-sensitive - but I am just going by the Skywalkers, and Anakin's origins maybe the anomaly there.

Most Jedi don't have families, the Jedi appear to be monastic type order, which was why Anakin was hiding his relationship with Padme.   Most future Jedi are taken from their families at a very young age and raised without attachments.    Parents , wives, and children would tend to cause strong emotions, which the Jedi assume would eventually lead to the Dark Side.   That's why Yoda and Windu all thought Anakin was too old to train, because he already spent too long with his mother and was too emotional.

The above is kind of interesting, it almost suggests the Jedi thought family lineages of force users wouldn't end well. Jedi can't marry/have kids so maybe there's a reason beyond attachment? Although I guess a group of jedi with blood bonds are always going to be conflicted.

These kinds of things make a Skywalker saga more interesting/nuanced for me.

Still don't feel like Rey has to be a Skywalker though :)

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

The above is kind of interesting, it almost suggests the Jedi thought family lineages of force users wouldn't end well. Jedi can't marry/have kids so maybe there's a reason beyond attachment? Although I guess a group of jedi with blood bonds are always going to be conflicted.

These kinds of things make a Skywalker saga more interesting/nuanced for me.

Still don't feel like Rey has to be a Skywalker though :)

Actually that explanation really appeals to me and makes me not need Rey to be a Skywalker either!  Maybe the Force needs her to end the Skywalkers.

Archived