More Things Star Wars

Jaxom 1974

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep! It's not really hating on the film - it's simply exacerbating something that causes a lot of discord to begin with. Russian trolls are doing this basically all over the place, but TLJ is one of the only places I know of that is purely apolitical at the start or has nothing directly to do with politicalization.

But yeah, all those people saying how 'so many people' thought this so there must be a problem? That's bullshit.

It just shows how if people think lots of people perceive a problem it becomes one. If it works for star wars it probably works in other more important things.

You know guys, its possible to dislike this movie and not be a robot, a troll, or an angry white virgin. 

Just puttin' that back out there, seems to get lost in these threads. 

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

TLJ is one of the only places I know of that is purely apolitical at the start or has nothing directly to do with politicalization.

I don't think that's entirely accurate; there was a lot of very political hostility from the gamergate crowd that's been ongoing since Rey was revealed as the protagonist of Force Awakens. But there are also diametrically opposed criticisms of the film, like "obey your superiors without question even when they don't appear to have a clue what they're doing" being an incredibly awful moral; and apolitical criticisms like it uses humour excessively/inappropriately, and "of course heroics against impossible odds are going to fail most of the time" might be realistic but is toxic to an ongoing adventure series where succeeding against impossible odds is fundamental to the story.

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Also, who is Matt Smith?.

No, Who was Matt Smith. Now they're Jodie Whittaker.

I think it's likely that if we look back on Gamergate stuff, chances are decent that a lot of that was bot trolling as well. Certainly not all (nor was the criticism of TLJ all bots - some are angry white virgins), but some of it definitely was, especially on places that are easily bottable like Twitter.

That study only looked at twitter right? I mean, I could write a bot to spread shit via twitter in a couple hours. With all the "omg they put the feminisms in ma star wars" I'm not surprised the bots picked it up and spread it.

But, yes, the study isn't saying people who didn't like TLJ are bots, its suggests that Russians spread and helped echo some of the more toxic rants regarding it.

15 hours ago, Relic said:

You know guys, its possible to dislike this movie and not be a robot, a troll, or an angry white virgin. 

No danger of that: in my experience you can't utter a word about any subject related to TLJ, whether positive, negative or neutral, here or elsewhere, without someone rushing in to say 'I dislike this movie for valid reasons!' 

11 hours ago, felice said:

But there are also diametrically opposed criticisms of the film, like "obey your superiors without question even when they don't appear to have a clue what they're doing" being an incredibly awful moral

That would be an awful moral, but it's not the moral of TLJ. You're just taking a sideswipe at a plot point you dislike: it's basically just Relic's post again, but more specific. 

On 10/3/2018 at 3:08 AM, Relic said:

20 hours ago, mormont said:

No danger of that: in my experience you can't utter a word about any subject related to TLJ, whether positive, negative or neutral, here or elsewhere, without someone rushing in to say 'I dislike this movie for valid reasons!'

You can dislike it for valid reasons all you want, but if you spend your time searching twitter for people to argue with about how Disney/"The Mouse"/Kathleen Kennedy/RJ are destroying star wards and SJW cucks and the boycott destroyed Solo and is going to destroy Captain Marvel, or publish youtube videos about how this elaborate conspiracy theory shows that Disney are about to fire KK then you're a bot, a nazi or an incel. Or some combination. We're talking about an obscene level of obsession and rage and I don't think anyone is going to confuse you simply disliking the movie with being part of that group.

I think your opinion on the movie is wrong and I loved it, but you can feel free to be wrong. I have seen comments in the threads on here that I'd say cross the line into attacking people for liking or disliking the movie, but overblown rhetoric is hardly new here either.

Title that says nothing to casual fans seems like a very weird choice to me. If you look over the film titles, they're all pretty straight forward, and even if there's a term you're unsure about ("What kind of phantom? Like, actual ghosts?") there's always some descriptive word that lets you know what you need to know ("Whatever it is, it's a menace")

Oh, sure, you can say The Limey means nothing to most people who don't know the slang, too... and that wonderful Soderbergh film went on to gross $3 million and only opened in 100-odd theatres, so yeah, it was a title aimed to the sliver of people who would know or would otherwise be interested in a Soderbergh indie film. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Title that says nothing to casual fans seems like a very weird choice to me. If you look over the film titles, they're all pretty straight forward, and even if there's a term you're unsure about ("What kind of phantom? Like, actual ghosts?") there's always some descriptive word that lets you know what you need to know ("Whatever it is, it's a menace")

Oh, sure, you can say The Limey means nothing to most people who don't know the slang, too... and that wonderful Soderbergh film went on to gross $3 million and only opened in 100-odd theatres, so yeah, it was a title aimed to the sliver of people who would know or would otherwise be interested in a Soderbergh indie film. 

The first tweet about it is how Boba Fett, weirdly one of the most iconic star wars characters, is a mandalorian.  I think the title is great.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

The first tweet about it is how Boba Fett, weirdly one of the most iconic star wars characters, is a mandalorian.  I think the title is great.

First tweet is not from a casual fan, I'm guessing. ;)

I promise you the vast majority of casual fans who may recognize the name Boba Fett don't know WTF a Mandalorian is.

The thing is, this show will be on Disney's future streaming service. My guess is this show will be initially geared to attract Star Wars fans to said streaming service, like other Disney properties will be geared to attract other fans. 

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

First tweet is not from a casual fan, I'm guessing. ;)

I promise you the vast majority of casual fans who may recognize the name Boba Fett don't know WTF a Mandalorian is.

And that will matter because?  They'll know its star wars, casual fans will give it a shot or not regardless of the name, and it'll be explained in the first 10 seconds.  It also takes all of 5 seconds on your phone to google Mandalorian.  If it's good the hard core fans will go apeshit and casual fans will obviously follow, if it's bad, it'll be bad no matter the name.

It's like a band name, it's the biggest decision that makes zero difference.  I think you're looking for something that isn't there.

Archived