Ant-Man and the Wasp and the Spoilers

Bastard of Boston

On 7/9/2018 at 4:37 AM, Scott de Montevideo! said:

Stupid nitpick question.  When an object is shrunk does it retain the same mass or is that reduced commensurately as well?  In other words shouldn’t the shrunken lab have been incredibly dense and heavy?

While we are here, does anyone survive being cut in half in this film? I know that might potentially upset you more than the lack of conservation of mass ;)

I thought it was ok.  Not great, not terrible.  Had some funny bits (mostly involving Michael Peña) but mostly just ok.  Still can't figure out how they think an ant with wings can fly as fast as a car but whatever.

My only real problem is the credits scene.  Like do these characters not watch the news or read the internet?  They are totally oblivious to what is going on in Wakanda?

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I thought it was ok.  Not great, not terrible.  Had some funny bits (mostly involving Michael Peña) but mostly just ok.  Still can't figure out how they think an ant with wings can fly as fast as a car but whatever.

My only real problem is the credits scene.  Like do these characters not watch the news or read the internet?  They are totally oblivious to what is going on in Wakanda?

I was thinking that they were doing that then and there to gather quantum energy, or whatever it's called, to help in the war effort. That's my hope, at least.

6 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Wakanda is still fairly secluded.  Would what was going on there public?

4 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Even if it's public knowledge that aliens are invading Wakanda, they wouldn't know about Thanos specifically and what's at stake. Considering nobody asked for their help and Scott could still go to jail for suiting up I don't think it's surprising that they didn't try to go help. As far as "why didn't anyone else come help when ________ happened" questions in the MCU this one's pretty easy to wave away. 

3 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I was thinking that they were doing that then and there to gather quantum energy, or whatever it's called, to help in the war effort. That's my hope, at least.

I thought they said it was to make a permanent cure for Ghost.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Even if it's public knowledge that aliens are invading Wakanda, they wouldn't know about Thanos specifically and what's at stake. Considering nobody asked for their help and Scott could still go to jail for suiting up I don't think it's surprising that they didn't try to go help. As far as "why didn't anyone else come help when ________ happened" questions in the MCU this one's pretty easy to wave away. 

I thought they said it was to make a permanent cure for Ghost.

Oh I'm not saying why they weren't asked to help or whatever, just that they seemed to be oblivious.  Like if I'm a marginal superhero maybe I don't go to Wakanda or whatever but I ask the FBI what I can do to help say cleanup in New York.  etc.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Oh I'm not saying why they weren't asked to help or whatever, just that they seemed to be oblivious.  Like if I'm a marginal superhero maybe I don't go to Wakanda or whatever but I ask the FBI what I can do to help say cleanup in New York.  etc.

The timing isn't totally clear but I figure the movie itself takes place about a week before Infinity War starts. (It can't be much longer or The Avengers would be aware Scott and Hawkeye's house arrest was over.) Then they presumably spend some time reconnecting and whatnot before realizing Ghost isn't totally cured and deciding to sent Scott back to the quantum realm. Considering how short the post credits scene is it's not odd that the attack on New York doesn't come up. Having them talk about it would pretty much give away the end of the scene. I think we're left to assume they did talk about it off screen before that. 

I'm also confused about how/why Scott got caught. He did get caught and sent to the Raft with the rest of Cap's side. But then we know that Cap broke in and rescued his people as both Falcon and Wanda are out and about in Infinity War. So did Scott decide to not join in the breakout, thinking that maybe he won't see his daughter again as a fugitive? Or was he caught again?

12 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I'm also confused about how/why Scott got caught. He did get caught and sent to the Raft with the rest of Cap's side. But then we know that Cap broke in and rescued his people as both Falcon and Wanda are out and about in Infinity War. So did Scott decide to not join in the breakout, thinking that maybe he won't see his daughter again as a fugitive? Or was he caught again?

Yeah, I assume Scott and Hawkeye decided to stay behind when Cap showed up on the Raft so they would have a better chance at rejoining their families. 

8 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Yeah, I assume Scott and Hawkeye decided to stay behind when Cap showed up on the Raft so they would have a better chance at rejoining their families. 

One would hope this plot hole will be resolved with Avengers 4, seeing as we haven't seen Hawkeye yet.  Though there is some strangeness to Scott's case...

I didn't read it but there was a comic that showed the conversations team cap had right after the breakout. Basically what Leofric said. 

I never though about it but it's quite ridiculous that they put Hawkeye in the raft in the first place. 

Just saw it tonight...generally in agreement with the folks here.  I do wish they'd had some throwaway line or something in that mid-credits scene referring to Infinity War...

Janet - "What in the world is happening in New York? What did I miss in the last 30 years?!?!"

Hank - "We can't do anything about that, let's just worry about our research into the quantum field"

Hope - "Yeah....<looking at Scott>...I'm sure 'Cap' has a handle on it..."

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

Just saw it tonight...generally in agreement with the folks here.  I do wish they'd had some throwaway line or something in that mid-credits scene referring to Infinity War...

But that would have set everyone up for the reveal and taken a lot of the impact out for the whatever% of the audience who hadn't made that connection yet. There's no problem with they way they did it. not every conversation has to occur on screen. it's this kinda thinking that leads to lame expository dialogue. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

But that would have set everyone up for the reveal and taken a lot of the impact out for the whatever% of the audience who hadn't made that connection yet. There's no problem with they way they did it. not every conversation has to occur on screen. it's this kinda thinking that leads to lame expository dialogue. 

Except there is a problem with the way the did it, it was stupid. You think "surprise" is better than intelligent writing?  Regardless the surprise wasn't that people died in the mid credits scene but that everybody but Scott died.

12 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Except there is a problem with the way the did it, it was stupid. You think "surprise" is better than intelligent writing?  Regardless the surprise wasn't that people died in the mid credits scene but that everybody but Scott died.

I don't think throwing in a line referring to another movie would really qualify as intelligent writing. Like I said not every conversation has to occur on screen. I think the scene was fine as is. 

Just saw this, and I liked it. It was quirky and humorous and it was nice not to have a "world is going to end" storyline. The only thing I have to say is that there were a few plot holes and altogether as a film it's not really that memorable (and not a movie that I feel I need to see again).

The main plot hole is that I felt the conflict between Ghost and the team was a little manufactured. She supposedly had two weeks to live and they were getting Janet back in a day, so surely Bill and Ghost could have just waited for them to get Janet back and then asked Pym for help in the remaining two weeks. And if worst came to worst and they needed to do something by force, far easier to get to Janet when she's been saved.

Sad to day but about the only thing I found interesting or will think about again was the credits scene where the time vortex is mentioned and thinking how does a time vortex relate to Infinity War?

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Sad to day but about the only thing I found interesting or will think about again was the credits scene where the time vortex is mentioned and thinking how does a time vortex relate to Infinity War?

I'm assuming that Lang won't be able to return (it seemed that he needed the guys on the ground to beam him back out), and that in his journeys in the Quantum Realm he somehow time travels to affect history pre-Thanos.

Archived