Where are Tyrion’s bastards?

Charles Calthrop

I imagine there could be a few reasons. The reason they 'forget' to have moontea with Robert Baratheon is because he is the King, and they think having a royal bastard might curry some favor. They've probably all heard about Edric Storm, and they think their kids could be like that. Tyrion is the hated son of the most feared Lord in Westeros, they probably don't want to get on his bad side. 

Aside from his father disliking him, Tyrion also has a pretty bad reputation in general, so it might just be a case of the whores not wanting to have his child. 

The smallfolk are pretty uneducated, so they might think that any child they have with him is guaranteed to be a dwarf, and they just don't want the burden. 

10 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Shae is clearly smart enough to do her best to avoid getting pregnant.

I agree. I further think that Shae is young enough and ambitious enough to enjoy her current occupation, and in King's Landing, could easily join - or start her own - high priced sex business, like Chataya. Pregnancy and the responsibility/burden of a baby would smother that dream in the cradle, as it were; plus, if the baby is deformed or dwarfed, like Tyrion, even the littlest lion might reject it - and her.

Really, up until Dance with Dragons in which Tyrion takes Penny under his wing, there has been precious little sign of paternal or parental actions from Tyrion Lannister. Shae can read men and understands.

18 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Shae is clearly smart enough to do her best to avoid getting pregnant. Unlike Tyrion, she is pretty clear on the nature of their relationship, she is unlikely to want to end it by getting pregnant. 

How? She is already making money from the relationship and her getting pregnant and the sex stopping may actually means she is no longer required. 

Not only is she aware of how Tyrion's mother died but she is sensible to know that her body is her meal ticket, it would hardly be in her best interests to potentially ruin it (which rightly or wrongly has always been a worry for women). 

Will she? I'm not sure Shae is aware of that.  Shae seems to be worried about being discarded, which is going to be a natural worry for any woman in her position. 

And you are looking at this from an entirely modern viewpoint. If Tyrion loses interest in her she has nothing but a baby to show for it, a baby that Tyrion has no obligation to care or provide for. If Tyrion loses interest in her but wants to keep the baby he can do so and she is powerless to stop him, losing the baby and never likely seeing her child again. 

The sad truth is the smallfolk, especially a whore, has no rights in their world. Getting pregnant is a huge gamble. 

Again, I don't know why Shae would know that and even as a reader who gets to read Tyrion's thoughts I'm not sure that is true.  He hates his father, sister, nephew and cousin. He is not particularly fond of anyone and seems to enjoy his playboy lifestyle. 

Tyrion has not got with her because of her personality, he wanted sex and tasked his man to find whoever was available. Shae is not dumb, she knows how easily she can be replaced. 

Let's agree to disagree.

Prostitutes have their ways and means to cleanse themselves (a chouce there). We never hear whether Tysha conceived a child with Tyrion as he wouldn't be aware based on his pov. Say she did conceive, a couple of weeks of wedded consumation then the unfolding events involving Tywins lesson.

It is possible she had a child. As a many good things that person exists right under the characters nose. I would not be surprised if it turnedout to be Podrick. I know I know he gives his back story to Brienne...but he was a young boy whose memories could be scewed by inconsistent recall by his carers about what happened to his mother.

That aside, we don't know about Tyrion fertility clinic till we hear more from you know who...

10 minutes ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

Prostitutes have their ways and means to cleanse themselves (a chouce there). We never hear whether Tysha conceived a child with Tyrion as he wouldn't be aware based on his pov. Say she did conceive, a couple of weeks of wedded consumation then the unfolding events involving Tywins lesson.

It is possible she had a child. As a many good things that person exists right under the characters nose. I would not be surprised if it turnedout to be Podrick. I know I know he gives his back story to Brienne...but he was a young boy whose memories could be scewed by inconsistent recall by his carers about what happened to his mother.

That aside, we don't know about Tyrion fertility clinic till we hear more from you know who...

Sailor's wife and her daughter Lanna...

6 hours ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

It is possible she had a child.

Of course, knowing little, we can't rule this out. However, if your mother was raped by a hundred strange men, would she really cherish and want to keep any resulting offspring? The odds of Tyrion being the father, which would be the best option, would be nil.

How old is "Lanna", anyway? She'd have to be near 20, or in prostitute years, late middle age.

• 5 weeks later...

I think people (Varys, Ned, Jon Arryn, Stannis) are just more interested in King Robert's Bastards. Robert himself obviously recognized two of them.

There's also the quality of women. Tyrion beds mostly whores, and is probably unlikely to follow up with them about any children (it would also be hard to know if they were his children; they are whores). While Robert undoubtedly slept with whores, we know Edric Storm had a Florent mother, we know Gendry's mother worked in ale house and its safe so assume that Mya Stone's mother was of some repute, since he informally recognized and visited her.

Other than the two Robert acknowledged, the only reason anyone knows about the others is because they had a good reason to go looking. Who needs to go looking after Tyrion's?

I mean, why would Tyrion want to find them? Let's say he did fine one, and it was dwarf; if Lord Tyrwin found out, he would probably have it killed just out of spite and "honor".

Also, in the books, Tyrion also isn't all that old (25ish when it start).

Archived