MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

Old thread is locked, long live the new thread. 

---

I can't get over Ngannou vs Lewis from last night. Lewis has said his back was acting up again and that's why he wasn't able to do much in the fight which makes sense, but as for Ngannou...I'm honestly wondering if he put a bunch of money on the fight going the distance. I'm sure the loss to Stipe affected him but it's not like he got KOd or something. 

Real shame. It was a really phenomenal card apart from that fight. I hope Stipe bounces back from this and gets back to fucking people up again. Much as I was rooting for DC I really didn't want to see either of them lose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Even as a kiwi lad it's hard not to root for Dillian Whyte to win tonight and line up that AJ rematch, given that their first fight was much more fun than AJ vs Joseph. I'll never admit that though.

On the MMA side of the deal, I wonder if Jose and Joanna, who share the card tonight in Calgary, got together to compare notes on what it's like to lose 2 in a row to a younger, longer rival. Joanna should have too much for Tecia but, even if you're a legend like Jose Aldo, Jeremy Stephens might be the last guy you want to fight when your last two outings ended with you on the canvas.

2 hours ago, Davrum said:

even if you're a legend like Jose Aldo, Jeremy Stephens might be the last guy you want to fight when your last two outings ended with you on the canvas. 

Stephens only beats Aldo if Aldo's really shot, and I don't think he is. There's levels to this shit and Stevens has lost every step up to anywhere near Aldo's class he's tried to take.

Props Polish, looks like Ol' Scarface Junior still has a few tricks up his sleeve. Props to Jeremy too though, he had the FW GOAT in trouble early on. One of the rounds of the year so far.

Yeah, was a cracker of a fight while it lasted.

And then Eddie Alvarez made one of the most mind-blowingly stupid decisions of the year by deciding, with plenty of time to think, to throw a 12-6 elbow (encouraged by his coach, no less) when in a clearly dominant mounted position, resulting in the fight being stood up and, after another breathtaking burst of violence, a Poirier win.

Are you surprised mothereffer? With the form Dustin has been in lately this promises to be good time.

"Nate Diaz will return to the UFC octagon after more than a two-year absence Nov. 3 at Madison Square Garden for an expected firefight of a stand-up bout against destructive puncher Dustin Poirier, the Los Angeles Times learned Thursday."

"http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-nate-diaz-20180802-story.html

Not only do the UFC take zero disciplinary measure against Conor for the bus incident, they use the footage of it to hype the fight lol. It's not surprising...they're just so fucking shameless. 

I hope Khabib absolutely destroys him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Considering all the hoop-la that's surrounded Conor's fights in the past the promo has been relatively subdued for the upcoming throwdown with Khabib. I guess he's taking it seriously, like when he refused to do media for 200. Smart move if so.

Meanwhile, anyone know what odds the Liverpool bookies are giving Darren Till of making weight next weekend?