MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

Most of the press and lots of fighters/promoters and whatnot thought Golovkin won either with 116-112, 115-113 or a draw 114-114. I personally had Golovkin 116-112 but there were 1-2 rounds that could've gone to Canelo also. Not the worst decision, but whatever. Tired of f*cking Vegas. For me it's been 2 great fights between 2 great fighters that the champion edged both times. Cudos to Canelo for the way he fought. He stood his ground and fought his fight.

Overall pretty disappointed GGG had to walk away with a lost and without his belts, but I expected nothing else. Fight wise, I was also disappointed GGG didn't go to the body more often. I think it was the key element missing from his first fight (because Canelo would counter him) but this time around, every time Canelo would use his upper body movement GGG would go head hunting but Canelo was open to the body during those times. Also, GGG's uppercut was pretty effective, wish he wouldl've used it more.

A lot of people say they should do a trilogy. We wont see anything different if there is a next time. Canelo will keep getting better and GGG will be older and be lest effective and accurate. The Golovkin of 4 years ago would've toyed with Canelo, but now they are evenly matched, and that gap will only grow.

Also, what a KO from Lemieux ! When I heard that shot land on O'Sullivan I knew it was over.

Edited by The Unborn

11 hours ago, The Unborn said:

Overall pretty disappointed GGG had to walk away with a lost and without his belts, but I expected nothing else. Fight wise, I was also disappointed GGG didn't go to the body more often. I think it was the key element missing from his first fight (because Canelo would counter him) but this time around, every time Canelo would use his upper body movement GGG would go head hunting but Canelo was open to the body during those times. Also, GGG's uppercut was pretty effective, wish he wouldl've used it more.

Right!? I was yelling it the whole fucking time. Also, Canelo tired out in the latter rounds, imagine if GGG was working the body earlier? 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

15 months ban, backdated for Jones. Who can now fight next month. What's the odds he walks straight into a title shot. Like McGregor they will show they have no morals whatsoever. 

Let's be honest though, Cormier vs Jones III is what we want and need to see here, so for my part I have no objections. 

I imagine that fight's going to be pretty one-sided. Povetkin was something when he was young and juicing. Now he's old and probably clean and hasn't fought a credible opponent in several years.

Realistically the fights of interest on the card are Cambpell vs Mendy, which Campbell should win fairly easily if he's improved as he should have but has to prove it (also, he's just a nice boxer to watch when on song), and Okolie vs Askin for the British cruiserweight title. I remain baffled by Okolie who looks like he should be utter shit but he keeps taking steps up I don't think he's ready for and not just winning them but winning them easily, and this is another one so it could be interesting. Can't help but feel that at some point his wonky technique is going to see him exposed but I've given up on predicting when that's going to be.

3 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Is there a guy Joshua could be lined up to fight that would make it a fight we could look forward to?

Who could give him a real run?

Deontay Wilder is the obvious one that should be made. And if Fury should beat Wilder in December (seems unlikely given his circumstances, but I wouldn't rule it out), then him too.

• 2 weeks later...

@polishgenius

How do you feel about what happened with Joanna and Valentina’s title fight. Seems like more of the bullshit that’s been happening since WME bought the company. This is worse than what happened to Meisha in my opinion, because according to Joanna, she had already signed the fight contract. 

:bang:

It's shocking that they've taken one of their most loyal, and more visible even so it's not even like they help themselves long term if she gets unhappy, fighters and dumped on her like that to save their own mess in their incompetent attempts to book something for UFC 230, something they didn't even need to do since Porier and Diaz had already agreed themselves a fight but NOOOO it has to be a title fight for a PPV main event.

If it was at least for a good fight I'd understand but this fight draws no viewers at all.

6 hours ago, Castel said:

Never mind, Conor apparently attacked first?

Yup, sorta. He sucker-punched a guy who was climbing out of the cage (presumably he was trying to get to Danis). Then he hit first against a guy who was squaring up to him. None of them are in the right either but the only person who actually suckered McGregor was the dude in the red shirt.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

They are a pair of arseholes. How do they deal with khabib for this when Conor got rewarded with a title shot after attacking the bus? 

They're gonna do the exact same as with Conor, and leave his punishment up to the local authorities (and in this case the state athletic comission, which iirc didn't get involved with the bus attack coz he wasn't an active fighter that week) before using it to build huge numbers for the rematch.

Anyway, after all that nonsense, we got some good wholesome violence in Japan this afternoon with Inoue's appearance in the WBSS: