MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

27 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Cause its the only fight that makes any real sense and garners any real excitement there.

Definitely the fight to see.

It doesn't. He lost twice. He's gone up to do other stuff in HW.

Losing twice is a near fatal blow to any title shot argument. Even DC admitted as much last time he lost ("if he wins twice there's no rivalry"). And look at JJ: lost twice and had to go off to 125.

People seem to be rooting for DC to finally do it and all but he had his chance. Might as well get off this merry-go-round. 

It doesn't help that, while LHW is thin, it will never stop being thin if no one tries to make fresh matches and they spend their time going off to chase HW gold or rematching the same, decisively settled fights. 

There's simply no other challenge for Jones in this LH category so either Cormier comes back to LH or they fight at heavyweight. I'd definitely want to see that fight. It's still a rivalry despite two clear losses. I also agree with those who say that Cormier needs to do this before his career is over, and he may only do one or two more fights as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

DC at HW is the most interesting Jones thing in the near future. DC seems more well-suited to HW, even if that's just because he can't stay away from junk food in his off season

Dominick Reyes is the only current LHW who seems like he might have something interesting for Jones, but he still feels at least 3 fights short of being ready for a title shot. Even with Jon being my favourite fighter to watch I have almost no interest in his division right now. Sad really, considering how thrilling it was a decade or so ago.

It was so odd watching him plod/trot around like he did. He not only showed no evolution since 5 years ago, he looked like he'd gone backwards. Meanwhile, Jon, as he always does, had evolved, this time into a someone much better at handling someone his own size.

What's also somewhat odd is that even though Jon is my favourite fighter to watch and has been for over half a decade now, the lasting memory of that card is of Amanda Nunes and how she defeated Cyborg, and especially how much pure, unadulterated joy there was in her celebration. It was one of the most beautiful moments I've seen in more than a quarter century watching various types of fisticuffs.

Not quite on the level of Tardelli in the 1982 World Cup Final, but getting up there.

I agree, that was a much better match. Great work by her. I had come to believe that Cyborg was unbeatable in the women's field but if anyone could do it it was Nunes. But she made such short work of her as well.

Agreed with your assessment of Gustaffson, but sadly his last few fights ( and he's only done very few anyway) have not been that great either, he certainly didn't seem to be get better after the first fight with Jones. Even though he lost that, still maybe his best fight.

If I were DC i'd hold out for a Brock Lesnar payday. Then perhaps give Stipe the rematch he deserves and then retire. Jones is a scum cheat and doesn't deserve another crack at DC.  Let Cain (assuming he can actually fight once or twice a year) deal with Jon Juice when he eventually moves up.

I'm fairly sure Cain's going to get absolutely fucking tooled by Ngannou, ending that conversation. I mean come on, he's been out with repeated serious injuries for essentially six years, and he's not exactly young. He might be able to take advantage of Ngannou's lack of wrestling tools but if I was betting I'd bet on him looking like a broken old man and getting sparked.

It's impossible to know what kind of Cain shows up against Ngannou, if he even makes it to the octagon at all, but he's a nightmare matchup for Ngannou. All he has to do is fight his own fight and not get caught coming in in R1. One TD will likely gas Ngannou for the rest of the fight and then Cain can do whatever he likes.

25 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Was really hoping Hardy would get his ass beat tonight but I'll take a DQ I guess. 

Asshole. 

It’s almost like Crowder was baiting him by staying on his knees for those few moments before. But yeah, fuck Hardy.

Dana is fucking sour. Cejudo calling him Uncle Dana was pretty funny.

I would've rooted for Henry if not for that shitty stunt with the snake. Aside from that he's a difficult guy to dislike though.

Meanwhile, it was sweet to see Cowboy shut that trash-talking youngster up, but Cowboy didn't look great back down at LW. Dude was slow, sluggish and sloppy out there and experience and toughness got him through. Hopefully his Conor payday finally comes in, but if not I'd rather see him back at WW.

It's pretty amazing that he basically just has permission to take this same shit as much as he wants now. Anytime he pops for it they'll just hand wave it as being the "same trace metabolite as before". 

God forbid a Diaz brother smokes a fucking joint though. 

Archived