MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

On 1/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, KiDisaster said:

It's pretty amazing that he basically just has permission to take this same shit as much as he wants now. Anytime he pops for it they'll just hand wave it as being the "same trace metabolite as before". 

God forbid a Diaz brother smokes a fucking joint though. 

Lol the guy is a joke.  He has now failed 4 drug tests since the end of Summer and he's apparently untouchable. 

17 hours ago, Davrum said:

Got sad seeing Fedor waxed like that. Especially since I fear the same for Anderson when he fights Stylebender in a couple of weeks.

Brutal.  I heard somewhere that Fedor was carrying a significant injury (knee I think but a lot of conflicting speculation) coming into the fight and decided to persevere nonetheless being the man he is.

So glad Aldo won. He looked amazing. Extremely down to keep watching him school young contenders. 

There was some weird reffing tonight. That soccer kick being allowed (even if it was only glancing its still illegal isn't it?) and the ref saying "I'm stopping the fight" in the Olivera bout but then backing off? Odd stuff. 

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

That soccer kick being allowed (even if it was only glancing its still illegal isn't it?)

It didn't land at all, much to Walker's relief. What a stupid thing to do but the rules only punish them if it hits.

Didn't scope the other thing you mentioned.

Aldo's got two fights left on his contract and says he's retiring after. I'd like to see him move up to 155, which might happen. A McGregor rematch might even happen, though Pettis seems like the most likely candidate right now. Or Ortega if he stays at 145 (Or Volkanovski, but that would fuck up the title picture even more than taking Moicano out of it for now already has).

I swear Johnny Walker's soccer kick was intended to blast into Ledet's ribs, but JW is so large and started the move so far away that by the time he arrived Ledet had spun in such a way as his head was close to where his ribs had been, so JW pretty much pulled the kick. From the side angle it looks bad, but from front on it really looked like he started out lined up with the ribs.

I want to see Aldo finally go against Pettis too, and a rematch with Conor, although the latter seems highly doubtful. Aldo at 155 should have a better gas tank and certainly won't lose the speed advantage he still holds over every single 145er.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, Davrum said:

I swear Johnny Walker's soccer kick was intended to blast into Ledet's ribs, but JW is so large and started the move so far away that by the time he arrived Ledet had spun in such a way as his head was close to where his ribs had been, so JW pretty much pulled the kick. From the side angle it looks bad, but from front on it really looked like he started out lined up with the ribs.

Yeah, I saw it again and that's fair, although I don't think he did pull the kick he got lucky there.

It seems like Volkanovski wants Aldo. UFC would be mad to make that fight, who is Holloway going to fight if Aldo keeps knocking over contenders?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah he definitely did and it was falling while limp that wrenched it out, but there's also a video from his open workout where he's throwing and just stops and grabs his knee that makes it pretty clear he was already injured coming into the fight. Frankly sanctioning it seems to have been a negligence. He has to retire.

And no wonder, with training like this.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah he definitely did and it was falling while limp that wrenched it out, but there's also a video from his open workout where he's throwing and just stops and grabs his knee that makes it pretty clear he was already injured coming into the fight. Frankly sanctioning it seems to have been a negligence. He has to retire.

American Knee Annihilators at it again

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Damn that looks rough on the body.

That was a very disappointing fight, looked so great on paper. But I've got to say that applies to a lot of UFC main fights recentlt.

Hard to do when Stipe "smashed" the old UFC Heavy Weight title defense record by doing so three times.

Stipe is in there. DC? Cain before his body turned to glass. Werdun has a claim for sure imho. 

There hasn't been a heavy weight run away with the division like a prime GSP/Aldo/Anderson. 

You can therefore make the case for just about any heavy weight who ever got a descent streak going.