MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Lawler decision? How Herb Dean stops it after lifting his arm and Robbie not letting it drop, while giving a half-assed thumps up is beyond me. What a brutal way to lose.

Props to Askren for surviving that onslaught. Would’ve been great if he lost in the first 30 seconds of his UFC debut though.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Lawler decision? How Herb Dean stops it after lifting his arm and Robbie not letting it drop, while giving a half-assed thumps up is beyond me. What a brutal way to lose.

Props to Askren for surviving that onslaught. Would’ve been great if he lost in the first 30 seconds of his UFC debut though.

Totally fine with the stoppage. It's early in hindsight but he looked out to me and to the commentators. One of those things. 

40 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Totally fine with the stoppage. It's early in hindsight but he looked out to me and to the commentators. One of those things. 

Yeah, but you and the commentators didn't get to lift his hand, see it not drop and give a thumbs up. Herb stopping it after that is definitely a blown call. There's more justification for him stopping it when Askren was getting pounded than when he did.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, but you and the commentators didn't get to lift his hand, see it not drop and give a thumbs up. Herb stopping it after that is definitely a blown call. There's more justification for him stopping it when Askren was getting pounded than when he did.

Agree to disagree.

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

They need to run it back. Lawler wasn't beaten, he gestured with his hand as he literally couldn't verbally respond with Askren's arm around his jaw. Dean really screwed the pooch here.

Fair play to Smith for not taking the cheap DQ win, most probably would have.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Well Poirier vs Holloway was one of the best fights we've ever seen.

And Gastellum vs Adesanya wasn't half bad either.

Of course I missed them both. I’m not paying $60 on top of the stupid ESPN+ subscription I got just for UFC. Now we have to pay just for the right to get PPV’s. Got us good, greedy fucks. I should have really done more research into this dumb ESPN deal beforehand.

I also was having trouble finding it on reddit so I gave up.

ETA: How much do you guys overseas pay for cards?

Edited by Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

ETA: How much do you guys overseas pay for cards? 

Generally, nothing (except for the network rate). All UFC cards are on BT Sport in the UK and in Germany I get it on DAZN (which is a fucking incredible package, 10 Euro a month for UFC, Bellator, essentially all meaningful football apart from the Bundesliga, a lot of boxing, all major US sports leagues, and a bunch of other stuff).

Sorry. :(

Edited by polishgenius

I'm pretty annoyed about the ESPN PPV change too. But I can cancel my Fightpass subscription now at least. Literally no reason to have that anymore. 

The main & co-main last night were two of the best fights I've ever seen, and Rountree looked like a fucking monster in his fight too. I'm surprised Anders managed to stay conscious through all that. 

Sad Max lost, but Dustin deserves that belt. I don't know how he beats Khabib, but I look forward to seeing that fight later this year. 

On 4/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, polishgenius said:

Generally, nothing (except for the network rate). All UFC cards are on BT Sport in the UK and in Germany I get it on DAZN (which is a fucking incredible package, 10 Euro a month for UFC, Bellator, essentially all meaningful football apart from the Bundesliga, a lot of boxing, all major US sports leagues, and a bunch of other stuff).

Sorry. :(

Good call, I forgot about DAZN. I cut the cord last year anyways so it makes the most sense. $100 for a yearly subscription here.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like it is mostly MMA fans here, and that's cool, but I'm more of a boxing guy. I respect both sports a ton though. 

But is anyone else here planning to watch Hurd/Williams or Berchelt/Vargas 2 tonight?

How about the news that Pacquiao vs Thurman will happen on July 20?

I was a huge boxing fan in the 90’s and early 2000’s(I was at Gatti-Ward 1!), but the politics and everything just got too exhausting. I still watch the big fights but don’t pay as much attention to it as I once did, which is kind of sad now that I think of it. I love the sport, just not the bs and circus that surrounds it.

But there is knowledgeable peeps here who still love and talk about it. 

Which reminds me- RIP Harold Lederman. This one really made me sad. First we lose boxing on HBO, and now a legend who helped make it great for all those years. His passion for the sport came out on every card he worked. I very seldomly went against his scorecards and always loved hearing his between round analysis. Tough loss. “OK, Jim...”

And Rose lost in scary fashion. That looked dangerous as hell as she was basically dropped on her head. I only saw the replay of the finish but my buddy said she was winning fairly easily up until that point. Damn.

Aldo lost too. I was actually surprised he was favored to begin with. 

11 hours ago, Aldric said:

Seems like it is mostly MMA fans here, and that's cool, but I'm more of a boxing guy. I respect both sports a ton though. 

But is anyone else here planning to watch Hurd/Williams or Berchelt/Vargas 2 tonight? 

I'm more of a boxing guy myself, just MMA seems to be where the conversation is.

I did watch the UFC this weekend though, will be catching up on Hurd/Williams and possibly the Navarrete/Dogboe replay. Sounds like the first in particular was a hell of a fight.

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Aldo lost too. I was actually surprised he was favored to begin with.  

Aldo looked really really flat to the point I do think his illness affected him. Either that or he just got old overnight. No way even the Aldo who beat Moicano would have lost to a wrestleboxer like Volk, even as good as he is at it.

Rose was beating the shit out of Andrade till the KO but I'd absolutely pick Andrade again in a rematch. It was always going to be a case of Andrade walking after Rose until some point where Rose's feet couldn't get her out of trouble, and that was already the third time Rose had been caught and she was already starting to tire. There's simply no way she can keep that up for 25 minutes with her current toolset, she either has to KO Andrade- really hard- or she's gonna, eventually, get smushed.

Mind, she's also said she might retire so there's that.

• 3 weeks later...

Wooooow. Switched over to the boxing just in time to see Joshua get dropped twice and waved off. 

Gus retiring is sad but I think it's the right call. He just hasn't been the same in his last two fights. Definitely looked like he's just over it. 

Edited by KiDisaster

• 1 month later...