MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

As a style vs style kinda thing, it's a shame there's no world class BJJ talent to pit Khabib against, it's the only thing he hasn't really faced. It'd be an insult, not to mention pointless, to give Dillon Danis that kind of fight after just two MMA appearances in Bellator, even if the animosity is definitely there. That'll take years to materialize, if ever.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of advertising at any fight sport fans into more technical and historical nerdery- a couple of mates of mine have launched a site (which, full disclosure, I will also be writing for) aimed at delivering technical breakdowns and historical perspectives on various fighting disciplines and some coverage of some more obscure ones (we've just got a couple introductory pieces on Lethwei for example). They've gathered a good wealth of talent for the launch (some somewhat established writers, some total rookies) so although the format needs a little polishing, the content is gonna be good.

They're launching with a countdown of the top 20 mma fighters of all time (as decided on by a panel of the MMA experts among them on the site). Check it out. 

Edited by polishgenius

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, polishgenius said:

A bit of advertising at any fight sport fans into more technical and historical nerdery- a couple of mates of mine have launched a site (which, full disclosure, I will also be writing for) aimed at delivering technical breakdowns and historical perspectives on various fighting disciplines and some coverage of some more obscure ones (we've just got a couple introductory pieces on Lethwei for example). They've gathered a good wealth of talent for the launch (some somewhat established writers, some total rookies) so although the format needs a little polishing, the content is gonna be good.

They're launching with a countdown of the top 20 mma fighters of all time (as decided on by a panel of the MMA experts among them on the site). Check it out. 

NICE! I heard the Heavy Hands guys yapping about that site over the last couple of weeks and speaking highly of it, I'll be checking it out for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing Askren lose is always a great joy. His striking was hilariously bad again too but seeing him get outgrappled comperehensively is just lovely.

There was a fantastic fight in the boxing last night too, the 140 wbss final with Josh Taylor and Regis Prograis. You have to have a taste for a bit of inside scrapping but it was a great back-and-forth highly technical fight.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Joshua very light, Ruiz is even heavier than last time, how can you train for a world title fight and be that fat. 

He doesn’t hit the weight room much and avoids traditional cardio. That really doesn’t matter though if he’s got boxing cardio, punching power and quick hands.

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He doesn’t hit the weight room much and avoids traditional cardio. That really doesn’t matter though if he’s got boxing cardio, punching power and quick hands.

Yeah, but he must be doing 'something' physical.  You can't get boxing cardio without boxing, and boxing burns a fuck tonne of calories. 

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think boxing cardio is just cardio and boxing's bloody knackering. I'd be surprised if Ruiz isn't going to struggle if it goes to the later rounds in that sort of shape.

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, but he must be doing 'something' physical.  You can't get boxing cardio without boxing, and boxing burns a fuck tonne of calories. 

24 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think boxing cardio is just cardio and boxing's bloody knackering. I'd be surprised if Ruiz isn't going to struggle if it goes to the later rounds in that sort of shape.

He’s training, but he’s not running. When I was in the best shape of my life I could run 10 miles without breaking much of a sweat. At the same time I’d be gassed after 5-10 minutes of Wii boxing. I can’t exactly explain Ruiz by just looking at him, but he’s in great boxing shape despite looking like a couch potato. And in fact his weight can help him as he leans on guys which wears on their legs plus it gives him some paddings from body blows. Idk if he can go the distance, but he’s dangerous through 6-8 rounds. That said Joshua is going to win this one by KO, and it will probably come earlier than expected. And then Wilder can destroy him assuming Joshua stops running.

Exactly. All evidence in their careers so far says that if anyone's gonna gas it's Joshua- Ruiz went 12 rounds against Parker pushing a good pace and has done so in 10 rounders several times, and that's something Joshua can't do. It's a weird thing to say just looking at them but both Ruiz and Tyson Fury are in better shape, when it comes to the necessities of boxing, than Joshua is.

22 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Exactly. All evidence in their careers so far says that if anyone's gonna gas it's Joshua- Ruiz went 12 rounds against Parker pushing a good pace and has done so in 10 rounders several times, and that's something Joshua can't do. It's a weird thing to say just looking at them but both Ruiz and Tyson Fury are in better shape, when it comes to the necessities of boxing, than Joshua is.

Not anymore. Ruiz was terrible.

I was hoping Ruiz would win again but I can't say I'm surprised at all with how the rematch went down. 

Last night's UFC card had some weirdness. Multiple draws, Tan Dan seemingly talking Struve into continuing the fight before he got KO'd and Reem losing in the most Reem way imaginable. Not to mention suffering one of the nastiest cuts I've ever seen. His lip just fucking exploded.