MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

Bam Rodriguez beat up Srisaket Sor Rungvisai last night. That kid is so good at boxing already. There's some question over how much SSR had left with how long he was out coming into this, but even with that, it was such a good performance.

I mean look at this shit just for a taster

My 12yo is deadly about starting boxing. I wanted her to go with jiu jistu but she wants the former first, then pivot, then both. We have not watched any MMA together. The girls used to be pretty scrappy but they've kind of grown out of it [for the most part] let's see if any of it sticks.

There was a lot of MMA last night and I should talk about how good Volkanovski is, but I want to draw attention to boxing and Jai Opetaia, an Aussie who took a massive step up in competition to take on Mairis Briedis for a cruiserweight title and not only won but did so having suffered a broken jaw in the second round and finished with it completely fractured through on both sides, basically just hanging off, unable to speak or bite down on his gumshield. I mean look at this shit.

Anyway good, close, brutal (Briedis was a mess too) fight, I recommend it if you're a fan and have a moment.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:25 PM, JGP said:

My 12yo is deadly about starting boxing. I wanted her to go with jiu jistu but she wants the former first, then pivot, then both.

I'm no expert on gyms and you probably have a better sense than me for it if you're taking her into it, but please keep a very close eye on what her coaching is like. I know there are some guys around who are pure wannabe drill-seargant hard-spar-with-the-best-in-the-gym-on-the-first-day types and obviously in boxing it's even more important than any other sport not to allow those dicks a chance. 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm no expert on gyms and you probably have a better sense than me for it if you're taking her into it, but please keep a very close eye on what her coaching is like. I know there are some guys around who are pure wannabe drill-seargant hard-spar-with-the-best-in-the-gym-on-the-first-day types and obviously in boxing it's even more important than any other sport not to allow those dicks a chance. 

You know it.

I'll be sitting in at the gyms on her list, whenever she deigns to present it to me. She won't be going anywhere that I haven't scoped out the trainers first. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote a piece comparing Chris Curtis' frustrated performance last weekend to George Hardwick adapting to similar circumstances on Cage Warriors the night before. Posting partly to shill myself of course but partly because Hardwick's just cool and worth watching out for. 

Cage Warriors scheduling has been so much more entertaining than UFC this year.

• 3 weeks later...

So Usyk beat Joshua- again- and afterwards Joshua had an all-timer of a meltdown live on telly. Nicked two of the belts and threw them out of the ring, ran away, then thought better of it and came back but couldn't hold back the tantrum even as he was praising Usyk.

50 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Damn. That was a wild finish. I agreed with Din Thomas and thought Leon was mentally checked out there at the end. I guess not.

Usman was taking him down at will. It was 4 rounds to 1 Usman before that kick. Thats why this sport is so great

5 hours ago, Chad Vader said:

Usman was taking him down at will.

He wasn't really doing a lot with those take downs though. Usman would take Edwards down, Edwards usually got straight back up and then Usman would take him down again.

It was a bit of a weird fight. Usman was clearly dominating the fight for the last four rounds, and it did look like Edwards was unsure of what to do about it, but it never really looked like he was hurting Edwards either. On the other hand while Edwards did look to be struggling for the vast majority of the fight he had the two moments of real threat, going for the choke in the first round and, obviously, the knockout.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

He wasn't really doing a lot with those take downs though. Usman would take Edwards down, Edwards usually got straight back up and then Usman would take him down again.

It was a bit of a weird fight. Usman was clearly dominating the fight for the last four rounds, and it did look like Edwards was unsure of what to do about it, but it never really looked like he was hurting Edwards either. On the other hand while Edwards did look to be struggling for the vast majority of the fight he had the two moments of real threat, going for the choke in the first round and, obviously, the knockout.

Can we take a moment to appreciate that that was the first time Usman had been taken down. Edwards loses the trilogy because Usman will fight smarter next time.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think it's entirely plausible Edwards loses the trilogy, of course, but there's equally as much room if not more for Edwards to fight smarter too.

Also altitude won’t be a factor, and who knows how Usman responds to getting KO’d for the first time. Should be a great rubber match whenever it happens.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Also altitude won’t be a factor, and who knows how Usman responds to getting KO’d for the first time. Should be a great rubber match whenever it happens.

I think DW said he wants to do it at Wembley. Wouldnt be suprised if Paddy and Molly are on the card as well. Throughout the whole card you could see fighters being visibly gassed to the point they could barely stand. That altitude is no joke.

15 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

Was nice to see him get revenge. It really sucks that the UFC cant keep fighters like him. Forgot who said that the 50k FotN bonus needs to be increased and they couldnt have been more right

They didn’t lose DJ because of money, they traded him to One for Ben Askren. 

Archived