MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

To talk about the card as a whole:

• Lewis is so bad but I can't help but be happy for him. Absolutely absurd case of the more skilled fighter fucking up and losing everything but it was Volkov's own fault.
  • Waterson did great against a stronger opponent, ripping up Herrig from guard like that.
  • Pettis/Tony was great but Pettis once again has injury issues/problems. He's done at the championship level and imo should not even have gotten a Tony shot (but good on Tony for keeping active when his title shot was stolen by Conor). It's always some injury or stylistic problem with him and yet he keeps getting these chances to rocket himself back up there.
  • Conor was actually, apart from the second round GnP (which could have been worse) ,better defensively off his back than I thought. He certainly did better than MJ and Barboza, who were dead on the feet in the third round
  • We once again see what happens when you have dominant wrestling: your striking gets  better. We saw this against Iaquinta but we wrote off it happening to as good a striker as Conor. (But it happened to Wonderboy). Yet he got knocked down by Khabib. Who then resorted to one of his worst attacks: the double knee. If he's not careful it's gonna get him KOed one day.
  • Not sure what Conor does here now. This was a horrible fight for him, way worse than the Diaz fight which he was winning till he lost. Nothing can be salvaged. If anything Khabib did him a favor by changing the narrative through his idiocy. 
  • To make matters worse: Conor cheated, a lot. Something else that will be lost in the controversy. Herb Dean used to be a good ref. What happened? 
Edited by Castel

It was very spectacular. Great fight. I thought Conor was done in that second round, he took an astonishing amount of hits there.

I thought for a moment after round 4 started, is Khabib really going to stay on his feet to prove a point, Conor might win this after all.

But then he resorted to wrestling and Conor tapped quickly I thought.

What's next? Ferguson deserves a shot, but I'd also love to see Ferguson vs McGregor,

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Khabib is a big lightweight. GSP is the only person I can think of who would be able to out muscle him and hang with his ground game. 

What, if he moves up? Tyron Woodley would rip his face off. Al Iaquinta managed to hang with his ground game enough that Khabib preferred to keep it on the feet and he was a smaller guy on a day's notice.
At 155, I think Ugly Tony has a pretty good chance- he's a wrestler himself, has great cardio, and would definitely outstrike Khabib.

Aldo is moving up to 155 too, so it might be time for that McGregor rematch. Longer term, if Aldo does successfully move up, it'd be interesting to test Khabib's takedowns against the greatest TDD artist in the game- but that would depend on size not being a mismatch.

21 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

What if Khabib beats Ferguson though, then Conor would have to get in the ring with Khabib again and I think that might the one thing he does not want.

Then Conor still fights Ferguson I guess? That is still reasonable matchmaking

If Aldo is at 155 maybe a rematch. If not that division is full of good fights that aren't Khabib. Barboza for example is a good example of a fun striker v. striker matchup.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watch the UFC main event last night? The Korean Zombie was KO’d from an absurd elbow by Yair Rodriguez with 1 second left in a 5 round fight that probably/maybe would’ve went his way. Fucking nuts! 

I thought it was going to a decision but he was absolutely laid out. I’ve never seen anything like that before in a main event.

Edited by Ramsay B.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

fight that probably/maybe would’ve went his way

Definitely- we know the scorecards, KZ was winning.

I mean, it's got to be the best finish ever. Taking individually, a crazy strike like that, a last-second win, and a comeback KO victory are all great things, but when have you ever seen them together in one go like that? It's bonkers.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Definitely- we know the scorecards, KZ was winning.

I mean, it's got to be the best finish ever. Taking individually, a crazy strike like that, a last-second win, and a comeback KO victory are all great things, but when have you ever seen them together in one go like that? It's bonkers.

Nice. I meant to check the scorecards to see if he would’ve definitely won. Also crazy to think that Yair took this fight on very short notice and had only like ten days to get his cardio up. Just unbelievable all around. 

Cowboy Cerrone with a nice tapout win, but I really wanted a war to break out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Great fights in last weekend's line-up.

Main fight with Ponzinibio just pummeling Neil Magny and breaking him down round by round was a great fight to me.

Johnny Walker is a very impressive fighter, 6'5 light heavyweight who completelu abused Khalil Rountree.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

And then robbed on the cards. Okay, I could just about take the draw, if you scored all the close rounds to Wilder, but 115-111 Wilder was shameless.

I didn't see the fight, 'cause there's no way I'm paying to watch Fury fight, but by the sound of it Fury should really have won. Having said that I can't get particularly worked up about someone not winning a world title after having been stuck on his arse twice and won rounds via Fury's particular brand of tippy tappy bullshit. It probably doesn't help that I really don't like Fury.